Health checks for teachers

Hi all

I'll be heading out to HCMC in late September to start a teaching job and my new employer has mentioned a health check. This sounds fine as I know that health checks are usually required and quite a few schools in Vietnam request them, although I do have a pre-existing condition (hypertension) which is controlled through medication. Does anyone know if  this would possibly hinder the chances of me receiving a health certificate?

If anyone has any experience of this and advice that would be much appreciated, as I'm hoping this won't prevent me from having the chance to live and work in HCMC  :(

Hypertension is a prerequisite, so you may want to highlight that on your CV, orrrrrr you may want to go to Cho Ray Hospital to have the check done, give them the money, say as little as possible, pay them what they ask (no coffee money necessary) and get a clean bill of health.

Forget how things are done in the western world, because you'll end up creating much ado about what they consider nothing if you don't.

Thanks for your advice, that sounds very helpful  :)

My first health check was at Cho Ray, back in 2009.  I was standing by the lift (waiting to be lifted) when a Vietnamese man spotted me, stopped, stared for a second, then turned around and started running back in the same direction he had came from.  The doors opened, but I had time to kill, so I waited around, thinking "Surely he's not going to get his...yep, here he comes with the kids!" 

The last one I had done was in Hanoi, at a slightly more affluent hospital.  The doctor was listening to my heartbeat and seemed to be taking an inordinate amount of time in doing so.  I've had hypertension issues since I hit puberty, so I was a bit concerned that she may fail me based on high blood pressure (the thought that something may actually be wrong never crossed my mind).  Finally, I asked her if she was finished, to which she replied "Oh yes, you have strong heart! It goes - BOOM..BOOM..BOOM...very fast!"

If you're currently taking medication, you may have a problem getting it here.  You may want to stock up and consider homeopathic alternatives.

Hmm I've got a feeling that my school may be arranging my health check so it will be interesting to see if I'll end up in Cho Ray. Like you've said it's better not to make too much of a fuss about it, so I'll be making sure that I've stocked up on enough medication beforehand, and will have a once over with my Dr here before heading off.
Thanks again for your advice, definitely has given me a bit more insight, so fingers crossed it all goes well when I'm over next month.

Don't worry about it. You don't have to volunteer much info. Just take your meds in the morning before your exam so your BP is good, and take it easy.

Signed,

MD who has performed 1,000s of health checks exams.

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely do that.

Teacher Mark wrote:

If you're currently taking medication, you may have a problem getting it here.  You may want to stock up and consider homeopathic alternatives.

When I came to VN I brought about a 90 day supply of BP medications (Losartan and Amlodipine) but found them to be readily available at most pharmacies. (nhà thuốc tây) no prescription needed.   If they don't have them at one, just go 1/2 km down the street.  I have never seen a place with more small pharmacies.  You really don't need to speak Vietnamese as long as your old bottle has generic names and how many mg.  Newer brand name items might be a little tougher to find.

I was additionally fortunate that our landlady, whose husband was a doctor, tipped my wife off to a wholesale pharmacy, but most anywhere generics are less expensive than the US (but maybe more expensive than any Western country with a real health care system. -editorial comment)  Many are made in France or Switzerland but some are made in Asia by multinational firms.  Quality is fine but get the pills in the original plastic bubble packs, not loose.

With respect to the physical, there may be other reasons but I think the only disqualifying problem is HIV positive.

Hi All,
One tip on medication.. I found out Lisinepril is same as Nestril which is sold at most local pharmacies in HCMC here and it's quite inexpensive as well. 28 pills in a little box costs only 140k VND or about $7 USD.. Not bad :)
Cheers!
David

Hutueumi brings up an important point that I forgot about.  You should go to sites like WebMD and even Wikipedia and get a list of different names used internationally.  Often the pharmacist will know the alternative names but not always.  If they say they don't have your medications, be ready with a few other names to be sure.  I didn't find Nestril but I did see that Lisinopril is also Prinovil, Tensopril, Zestril, and Hipril.

Oh I meant Zestril not Nestril.. Thanks, THIGV :)

Thanks for the tip THIGV I use a pretty generic medication so I reckon it should be quite easy to get hold of, I'll just make sure to take the pill box or leaflet along with me.

Hutiumi, I hope you took that photo in the US and not in Vietnam.  :(

THIGV, I hate to disappoint you but that photo is taken in VN but here, people cannot buy guns so you're looking at a fake one :) It was for fun filming a movie and my character was a policeman in a supporting role.. I know this may not be a place to post this but here you are.. An amateur one and many little mistakes working with the locals hehe.. In any case, please enjoy :)

youtu.be/yG-uh5v3bEI

Sounds like it was a lot of fun.  You should have kept the picture up.

Hehe, THIGV, you know what's funny? That same picture got me into a little trouble when I was trying to book a room thru Airbnb. The hostess said she didn't like what she saw and rejected my inquiry about the room right at the beginning and I didn't even get to start the booking process. And I believe you got the same thought couple days ago though I appreciate your gesture after finding out what's involved :) Anyway, better safe than sorry, right? And I'm glad you like the clip :)