Opening a bank account in Malta after banks problems in my country

Hi!

I'm moving next week to Malta because i found a job there,after I failed my business in my country.
I need to open a bank account of course.
I read the topics of this forum,but none of them concerned a person who will have bad references from his country of origins banks.

Is it still possible for me to open an account?
Which bank do I have to choose ?

Thank you very much,

Céline

Wait till you get your e residence card and a job and apply then they will more likely let you open an account out right

Hi,
I was going to do that,since i already have a contract.But are you sure the Malteses Banks wont question my french bank? I don't need a credit card,just a debit card,but i so stressed!!!

Depends on who you speak to and when - Bov Saturday morning and they took just contract and Id hsbc did the same for me - they may write to your bank but there I no real definitive answer I'm afraid the bank policies vary depending on the staff member

and the day of the week and if the person has had a good day or a bad day

celianh84 wrote:

Hi!

I'm moving next week to Malta because i found a job there,after I failed my business in my country.
I need to open a bank account of course.
I read the topics of this forum,but none of them concerned a person who will have bad references from his country of origins banks.

Is it still possible for me to open an account?
Which bank do I have to choose ?

Thank you very much,

Céline

We went to Banif and although we had applied for our eResidence cards we had not received them. We were asked for our passports and we took our lease agreement with us as proof of address, the account was opened there and then with us depositing 100 euros to open it. Cheque book, Debit cards and pin numbers were received within 10 days.
No references asked for.
Credit cards are not credit cards in Malta for expats, you deposit  'XXX' in an account that you can't touch and they give you a 'credit' card for 'XXX'. In other words it's no different than a pre-paid debit card.

Ray

thank you very much F0xgl0ve,i will do that

Hope it works for you. Good luck