Japanese Encephalitis vaccine

The Japanese Encephalitis vaccine costs about $650 in the U.S. I was thinking about getting it in Thailand because my insurance won't cover it. Can anyone tell me what it would cost me in Bangkok and where I could get it? Are there any travel insurance plans that cover this vaccine?

Thanks.

Hello,

Why do you need this vaccine?
I don't think 650 USD is correct as nobody will pay for that price ( equivalent to more than 2 months income for average Thai people )
New JE vaccine SA14-14-2 (Imojev®/ CD JEvax®)  cost 468 THB ( less than 15 USD )
See all vaccines price list here : http://www.thaitravelclinic.com/cost.html

KyleMB123 wrote:

The Japanese Encephalitis vaccine costs about $650 in the U.S. I was thinking about getting it in Thailand because my insurance won't cover it. Can anyone tell me what it would cost me in Bangkok and where I could get it? Are there any travel insurance plans that cover this vaccine?

Thanks.

Of course the choice is yours but in my opinion there is no need for that vaccine in Thailand. If you are travelling elsewhere where the threat is higher then you will certainly find it cheaper here than what you quote.

However other mosquito borne diseases, notably Dengue Fever, are prevalent. As you will no doubt be aware there is no vaccine or cure for Dengue. However good preventative actions by yourself can cut down the risk of mosquito bite.

The common sense ones like long sleeves and pants after dark are great together with a good DEET based spray are a good starting point together with a mosquito net if your bedroom is not screened.