Obtaining a girlfriend visa

i want to bring a dominican girlfriend to new york briefly on a visa.  i don't want to marry the girl and she knows and accepts that.  can i get a visa stating that we plan to marry, take her to new york, bring her back, and then not marry her?

What you are talking about is a fiancee visa and of course there is no obligation to actually marry your "fiancee".  But, from what I have heard, fiancee visas are difficult to get.  You have to provide a lot of supporting evidence.

In my opinion the entire visa process is highly subjective and a big pain.  In my case I was already married when I applied for my wife's visa the first time.  We gathered all the documentation we could think of to use as supporting evidence for her situation and our marriage.  Got to the Embassy for the interview and the woman working there did not look at a single document.  Simply said no.  The reason given was that my wife had no sufficient reason to return to the DR.  I have heard that this is the blanket excuse that they always give.  They say that to get one you need to show evidence of good financial standing in some way.  Not rich, but definitely enough money coming in to pay for the trip and your return on your own.  So it wouldn't matter if I have the money and I am her husband.  But nonetheless they didn't even look at bank statements.  Another thing that they supposedly like is if you have minor children or a very good job.  My wife has neither of those.

Funny thing is we reapplied again this year and absolutely nothing has changed.  My wife's financial situation, children, job and everything are identical.  In fact if you compare the applications and supporting documents the only difference is the dates on them.  Guess what - she gets a 10 year unlimited entry visa.  WTF.  I mean I'm not complaining that she got it, but why no the first time and yes this time with nothing having changed at all.

But keep in mind the blanket excuse I told you that they like to use.  They really want to feel good that the person applying for the visa isn't going to show up in the States on a visa and then stay there forever illegally.  They want to see a reason for her to return to the DR.  The fact that my wife and I have been living here for years myself and she was my wife did not matter one bit the first time.  So don't think the fact that you are living here and she is your fiancee is going to make any bit of difference.  You are not even married yet.  So if she doesn't have her own good reasons for returning here it will be very hard to get the visa.  Minor children and a very good job are the top two reasons.  Plus she needs to show she is financially stable on top of that.

Maybe you are trying the angle of bringing here in as your fiancee because you think it will be easy to get that one granted but I have heard they are not so easy.  It takes a lot of time and costs more money than the regular tourist visa that I got my wife.  But if you want to try this route because you don't think the tourist visa will work then you need to be ready to show that you are really a couple that is really intending to get married.  From what I hear they will want lots of evidence that this is a serious relationship.  Even on the visa website they say that they may want to have letters from family, photos of you with her family, etc.  Its not a slam dunk by any means.  And it would suck to go through all the aggravation of one of those and then not get it.  At least the tourist visa is a fairly easy process and only costs $160.

you win. the last thing i want to do is to submit proof that i want to marry the girl which may come back at me in a court of law when she sues for breach of contract.  let's forget the girlfriend idea.  a tourist visa would be fine but i figured that would not be possible for all the reasons you provided regarding the girlfriend visa.
so how do you get a tourist visa if the "tourist" cannot show that she has substantial ties in this country that would prevent her from even thinking about not returning once she sets foot on greener grass?

Good question.  I honesty don't know how my wife got hers this time.  As I said there was no difference this time vs. the first time.  She has no minor children.  She has no job.  She is married to me but we aren't applying for a spousal visa because we don't want to live in the States.  I don't know why they chose to allow her this time and to give her a 10 year unlimited entry visa on top of it.  How do you go from "no" to "come whenever you want for 10 years".  All I can say is it is very subjective.  The person must be basing it more on their own opinion of what they think your intentions are than on any objective criteria.  If you show up to the interview looking like you know what you are doing maybe it goes well.  Or maybe they accept people more when they apply a second time because it shows you are more serious about it or something.  I really don't know.  I would say apply and if they say no wait a year and apply again.  I think I read somewhere that it takes about a year to do the fiancee visa anyway so there would be no difference in time.  And its only $160 each time you apply for the tourist visa.  Try it twice and see what happens.  I told my wife before we did the last one that if they say no again we are not applying anymore.  So two times was going to be my limit.

You just need to hire the most connected attorney in town and he will get it done. It's as simple as that.

They also look for a reason that she would return.  LIke owning valuable property, have a good bank account, car, job, stable home life etc..

Very few meet the criteria.

Bob K

Bobby very few meet the criteria and there are like 1.5 million come mangu in the states..

RDE??????

Bob K

i am just as puzzled as you are about RDEs comment.  is he saying "comiendo mangu"?

I think he is referring to number of Dominicans already there....

come mangú: ~ a person who eats mangú, a popular Dominican mashed plátano dish, ie a Dominicano.

The number of Dominicans in the States is a reflection of past admittances: the rules regarding entry have changed since 9-11.

As far as I know she would need $1,200 -1,500 dollars in the bank or joint account and yes a lawyer the first time would be easier and once you pay the fee the consulate will notify here or lawyer for an interview.

Tass56 wrote:

As far as I know she would need $1,200 -1,500 dollars in the bank or joint account and yes a lawyer the first time would be easier and once you pay the fee the consulate will notify her or lawyer for an interview.

This thread is from 5 years ago!

Don't think it's changed much but I can save you a step.  Take the money go to the toilet.  Put the money in the toilet and then flush.  You have your answer.  Crude but effective.  and if you listen, you can save yourself the money.  Better to spend it on a flight and go and visit her.  One more piece of advise, which you already seem to know...don't get involved!  This is NOT the one.