Brit living in Quito with my Ecuadorian wife

Good evening madam and gents all assembed, I'm Matt, a 28 year old Brit living in Quito with my Ecuadorian wife Monica. We had our civil ceremony in Janaury this year and our church ceremony is booked for December 19th. I have a load of questions that I'll put on the Field Your Questions thread; here I'll tell you a little about myself.

My wife and I met online and we didn't meet each other properly until about 6 months after that. I've loved Ecuador from the first day I set foot here, however I can't stay for a long time - 2 or 3 years at most - because I have had a kidney transpant. The meds I take for that aren't availble here so I have to keep returning to the UK for them. I love sport; my favourites are cricket, field hockey, badminton and football (soccer). I also enjoy pool & snooker but I don't count them as sports. I also enjoy photography, reading and computer games. I graduated a couple of years ago with a 2:1 in Sport Management from the University of South Wales. I'm also struggling to learn Spanish and to find work in my area; both things and a whole lot more besides that I'll get on to on the question thread. For now, thank you so much for reading and I look forward to getting to know you and maybe a coffee too :D

Matt, have you looked into getting your meds closer by, say Panama perhaps? Colombia, Brazil?

I did and the cost of them is huge; it's not an exaggeration to say that it's actually cheaper for me to trval to the UK for them, mostly because of the NHS. Another point is that what I take for my transplant is very new, and it's not readily available here in South America. I did find a Canadian guy who imports medicine to South America and I'm waiting to hear back from him. Of course another point with me going back to the UK is that if I de ever need another transplant, my best donors i.e. family are in the UK. Thanks for the advice though gardener1

Considering all that Matt, perhaps it isn't in the long term best interest of you and your wife to live in Ecuador?

If the overwhelming consideration is your kidney problems and medications - as much as you may like Ecuador and want to make it happen - perhaps it's not the best choice for you all to stay.

Have you consulted with an EC doctor for possible locally available alternatives to the unattainable European meds?

Terrible dilemma. I hope you have a makeshift plan for living in the UK if you all have to go back and stick it out, unpalatable as that may seem.

gardener1 - My wife and I have already planned to move back to the UK after no more than 3 years. I came to Ecuador partly because it was easier for me to get the visa to come here, but mostly because I felt a bit trapped in the UK. I grew up in Saudi Arabia & I have friends from so many countries. The UK became boring and I need a change for a while. An added bonus of Ecuador is that my wife and I can afford our dream honeymoon (The Galapagos).

As for talking to an EC doctor, my wife's uncle and sister are both doctors, and they've been able to confirm that my meds are not available here.

Thanks for your concern; we confident we have it all in hand. For now I'm just enjoying life here :D

Hello Matt and gardener1

Welcome on board  Matt :)

I created a new thread on the Quito forum from several of your posts so that you can better interact.

cheers,
Bhavna

Hi Matt,

may I ask you something?
Did you have a tourist visa (12-IX) when you got married in Ecuador or just with your T3 stamp on your passport?

mesimarja wrote:

Did you have a tourist visa (12-IX) when you got married in Ecuador or just with your T3 stamp on your passport?

An Expat who successfully obtained the 12-IX tourist visa (aka non-immigrant visa) while in Ecuador posted a tutorial on obtaining such at the following link.  When you get to the welcome page, click on Visa and then on 12-IX....

www.heretohomeandbeyond.wordpress.com

cccmedia in Quito

We obtained the 12-IX in Quito last year so we know that it's not complicated.

Our problem is if  a foreigner can get married with T3 or needs 12-9. They have changed the laws last year and each source gives us different information.

So we would like to know Matt's personal experience :)

Whatever Matt tells you about his visa situation of last January, you'll eventually need official confirmation of the valid requirements for the time of your wedding -- from the ministry or a competent attorney.  For instance, in Quito, Sebastian Cordero ... scordero(at)gcabogados.com ...

Keep in mind there may be other visa(s) in play, for instance, the Economic Dependent visa, given to a family member of an applicant for a residency visa.  You haven't stated the nationality of your novio or whether you plan to live in Ecuador, so we have no idea if that particular visa is applicable.

If you prefer to receive information only from Matt, consider the PM messaging option.

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:

Whatever Matt tells you about his visa situation of last January, you'll eventually need official confirmation of the valid requirements for the time of your wedding -- from the ministry or a competent attorney.  For instance, in Quito, Sebastian Cordero ... scordero(at)gcabogados.com ...

Keep in mind there may be other visa(s) in play, for instance, the Economic Dependent visa, given to a family member of an applicant for a residency visa.  You haven't stated the nationality of your novio or whether you plan to live in Ecuador, so we have no idea if that particular visa is applicable.

If you prefer to receive information only from Matt, consider the PM messaging option.

cccmedia in Quito

Thank you cccmedia, we appreciate all information.

My daughter (finnish) is getting married to an Ecuadorian in Ecuador, and planning to apply for a residency.
Also me and my husband are planning of applying a residency using our daughter's marriage or the house we are building.

We arrive in Ecuador in September, with T3

mesimarja wrote:

My daughter (finnish) is getting married to an Ecuadorian in Ecuador, and planning to apply for a residency.
Also me and my husband are planning of applying a residency using our daughter's marriage or the house we are building.
We arrive in Ecuador in September, with T3.

Given that these plans are a major life-changing process for the family, you owe it to yourselves at least to do a consult with Sebastian or another well-referenced attorney.

cccmedia in Quito