Cost of living in Mauritius

MUliving wrote:

Hi there,

I'm a EXPAT from India. Presently I'm negotiating an offer from a Company based in Les Pailles. Company will provide me a accommodation (not sure about other details, but discussing it)

I would like to know what is a good Salary to live a reasonable life for family of 3 (myself, wife & 7 yr daughter)

What it school fees cost in English school?
Any Indian schools available?
What could be total cost food for Vegetarian family?
What is Normal EXPAT contract. (Medical, vehicle, furnished house etc.)

Kindly let me know.

Hi , i m also indian staying in mauritius since last 6 year.
40,000 MUR is a good salary to leave in mauritius if the transport and accomodation provided by company.

School education is completely free in mauritius in gov, school. but if you go to private school it would be around 6000 Rs/month
Here no indians school are available , but can get indian friends.
total  cost for vegeterian family would be around 6000 Rs / month
Depending on mutual agreement expat contract.
Medical is free for all in mauritius
for executive vehicle should be provided by the comoany.
normal cars will cost you around 500000 MUR
if you rent furnished house it would be around 8000 to 15000 Rs/ month depending  on the area.
hope above will be useful

Julien wrote:

I recommend the North, Trou aux Biches / Grand Bay / Pereybere or the West, Tamarin.

I now one real estate agent I have to ask his number.

The Hurricane season starts in Feb and ends in April.

Send me an email when you'll be here!

hi julien , you are doing great job by providing the information thanks

Can anyone tell me how much will be the rent and cost of food per month in Mauritius?

i get a job and my salary is 50000mur.is it sufficient to live in mauritius?
please mention:
accommodation prices

> House rent

> water

> public transportation fares (bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

Hello raj55, Welcome on board ;)

There are some discussions on the Cost of Living in Mauritius forum where you can find the answers of your queries.

->House rent will range from Rs10000-30,000 (depending on the size, area where you want to relocate) In some rural areas it will be cheaper (Around Rs. 4000>+)
->Water -> Around 400Rs per month
->Transport might cost you a maximum of Rs 38 per trip.
->Fuel (cost is 51 rs per liter)
->Electricity will surely depend on your consumption and the equipments you will have in your house. But I guess 1500Rs would be a minimum.
->Internet -> Around Rs.1000 for broadband connection
->Television -> Satellite TV might cost around 700-2700 Rs per month.
->Meals Restaurant ->Approximately around 100-350 Rs

Rs=MUR

Regards

i am being offered 45000 Rs.. is that good enought? i will be a call center manager

Hello chantal_,

I suggest you to start a new thread giving more details ;) Else, I guess 45,000rs for a single person shall be largely enough.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … p=5#312492

Hope this helps!

thanks Yud! i will create another thread..
Uhm, ive read on your reply to raj55 that there are some apartments for Rs4000, how does it looks like? is it nice w/ a/c? thanks!

Giuditta wrote:

Hi Julian, i need all the info i can get on Mauritius, i will be employed, as a health care assistant, and i will be living by myself in Flic en Flac, is it safe for a woman to walk around? Also would my mobile from uk work with a local sim card? Are the mosquitos a real nuisance? Which is the coolest/cheapest market to buy clothes, shoes, etc, are they very expensive? What are the locals like? I hear very friendly, where is the best place to make friends? Tell me more please. Giuditta

Hi Giuditta,

Your mobile should work perfectly with a local sim card. Mine (a Belgian) does.

The mosquitos can be a nuisance. One thing you should know: mosquitos breed in still water (which you will notice after heavy rainfall). So don't leave any water in cups, baskets, or whatever. That already helps a lot. And you shouldn't be living next to a water pool. Furthermore I advise extensive use of anti-mosquito-spray. Especially the first weeks. In my experience, the bites tend to itch much less if you live here for some time. I guess your body gets used to them.

Clothes: I still haven't figured out when shops do sales, but they do it on the strangest occasions. So if you only visit shops who happen to do sales of -50%, you will only spend half on clothes :-) Some Factory Shops are really okay, you should just look around and compare. Something most women like, I overheard.

I don't have much experience in walking the streets alone as a woman, but my girlfriend does sometimes and always returned home safe. Flic-en-Flac is okay, I suppose. A nice bar is Kensey Bar (just ask around - a helpfull police officer showed us the way). You can meet all kind of people there. And the locals are friendly indeed!

Have a nice stay on the island!

Hi Julian
Is a salary of 100000 us dollars a year  reasonable salary to live in Mauritius does that put us in the middle class section

Hi

I would say that with that salary you would be in the upper middle class in Mauritius and can live quite comfortably

Hi there

Is 3500 euros (124000murs after 11.41% tax) a month enough for 2 adults and 1 toddler to live a good life?

Hi Eve,

Guess it depends on a couple of things:

A) Definition of a good life.
B) Are you being provided accommodation and a car, or are you to bear the costs for the same?

I would think, 125K Mauritian per month after tax would be good to lead a comfortable life for a Couple and a toddler.

If Housing and Transport is provided for by the firm, then you  can definitely lead a very good life here.!!

Cheers,
Musheer

Hi Musheer

Thanks for the reply.

Definition of good life - not living pay check to pay check or scratching for coins half way through the month :) Living comfortably and being able to eat out if we want or do touristy things.

The company said they would provide transport for hubby to get to and from work (probably a lift of some sort) so I would still need to get a car for myself and my son.

Not sure about accommodation yet though - still waiting for final documentation.

We also want to save some money and I have study fees due in South Africa so would have to send money back every month for that - roughly 4500mur.

Hi Eve,

O.K... I hope you get housing too, because that is what is going to be your biggest cost factor.

Depending on if you want to stay in Upmarket areas (Tamarin, Flic and flac, Floreal, Curepipe, Moka) or regular areas( Most of Quatre Bornes, Rosehill, Vacoas) The rent for a nice 2 bedroom Apartment will be between 20K MUR and 40K MUR. Add another 5 to 10k, if you want a 3 bedroom.
Independent houses could be cheaper, but come with the burden of maintenance.

Cost of maid between 3 to 7k depending on number of days she comes to work.

Fuel costs of Travel, 5 to 10k.

Cost of groceries, now that is the tough one, I would put it anywhere between 20K to 40k,(I am single, not too familiar with Family costs in Mauritius :P). I would assume your costs could be toward the higher side considering you got a toddler with you.

If you buy a car, a good used car will cost anything between 300K to 500K. If you rent it out, long term, between 20k to 35k, depending on Age of car, and make, not to mention the type, i.e., sedan or 4x4.

Going out... Hmmmm, if you are someone who likes fine dining, then about 2 per outing, if not, a dinner at a nice place about 1.2K. If it is parties and clubbing, make it 3k a night (most of the good places have free entry, so what you would spend would depend on how much you drink :P)

As for Touristy things, if you are a resident, costs a lower, though it depends on your bargaining skills. Most activities involve travelling and going to different beaches or Mountains, which in itself dont cost much.  i would say, makes more sense to explore on your own, than go on tour trips).

If you like doing tours or Catamarans, they cost anywhere between 1.5 to 3k per person.!!

Well, now you do the Math!! :)

I also hope you get a different perspective, especially from some1 who has a family!

Cheers!

Thanks so much!

Definitely looks like the salary offered isn't going to be enough - how sad!!

See now someone else on the site said 20000 for food and 1000 for gas

I do hope you get housing and then, it should be enough :D

1000 for Gas??? I think they would have wanted to say 10,000, as 1 litre of Petrol is rs.50, and most cars give about 10km/litre. so 1000 rupees gets you 200kms. I dont think that would be right.

as for 20k for food.. Its a possibility! :)

I am sure you would have gone through the blog already, might be worthwhile reading this page from start to end. also, look at similar threads on the main page, there are a lot of classifications . So the breakdowns can be useful!

Thanks!

I've put gas up to 5000 and food up to 40000

What about water, elec and medical aid?

Got quotes for 4500 per month for medical (out of hospital) - and that's the cheapest option!

Hi Julien,

Very helpful tips. I will come for a visit there in August. How easy is to start your own business there? Lets say a small cafe or restaurant?

Thanks

Georgios

Georgios, you should start a new discussion, you're off topic

Ok...Ok,

I am new here, just learning. I found it already in other post...

evestyles wrote:

Thanks!

I've put gas up to 5000 and food up to 40000

What about water, elec and medical aid?

Got quotes for 4500 per month for medical (out of hospital) - and that's the cheapest option!

I think Rs.40,000 in terms of food is a bit too much (I would say excessive!)for two adults and 1 toddler. You should probably halved that amount, if not quarter it depending on what you buy.

Utilities (water + electricity) should be around Rs.8000 per month (that's counting air conditioners installed for those hot summer days).

I think expats have a different Medical Aid than Mauritians. You can find one advertised on this site; check it out!

Overall it depends on your lifestyle; you can live on Rs.5,000 or on Rs.500,000.

(moderated: you are off topic. You can view your post here)

Good Morning

We are about to make a decision to move or not to move to Mauritius.  Can you please give me an indication what the cost of living in Mauritius are in comparisson to South Africa?

Hi ddebeer and welcome on board :)

Have you taken some time to read the thread? :whistle:

Armand

Hi,
I got an offer for US $ 41000 per annum + Medical Isnurance.
I am a bachelor now and planning to get married in a year.
The company is situate in Grand bay, Mauritius
Is that a good offer?
If I lead a Indian upper middleclass Life style, how much will I endup saving monthly.
I would like to know the cost of living in terms of house rent (2 BHK),Transport, veg food,Communication cost, etc.,

Kindly advice If it is a good offer.

Regards,

Hi,

Your offer of about 3500 USD= 100,000 MUR= 160,000 INR per month. You will pay about 12% effective tax, that makes it about 88,000 MUR per month.

Now that is a very good salary to be living on, single or married.

I will answer the other questions below:

AIK2011 wrote:

Hi,
Is that a good offer?

Yes. Pretty good offer, especially since your medical is covered.

If I lead a Indian upper middleclass Life style, how much will I endup saving monthly.

Indian Upper Middle class lifestyle varies from City to City, but otherwise, since you are single, I dont think you will end up spending more that 40 to 50 K MUR per month on expenses.

I would like to know the cost of living in terms of house rent (2 BHK),Transport, veg food,Communication cost, etc.,

House rent for a 2BHK will be between 12 to 20K depending on the type of Apartment you want. Good Studio apartments cost between 7 to 10k

Transport costs are dependant on Buying a car or renting it.

Buying will cost you between 200 to 400k depending on Age of car ad type of car. the price mentioned above is for standard Japanese cars (honda ,toyota etc) older than 5 years upto 10 yrs.

Have a look at orange.mu, lexpress.mu mauricemotors.com

Renting will be a minimum of 15k to 40k per month depending on type of car and the duration you want it for.
Public transport consists of Buses, and is not highly reliable after 6pm. Costs per ticket is 20Rs to 50Rs per journey

Now if you are travelling by car, cost of petrol is about MUR50 per litre. Grand Bay is in the north, and 30 Km form Port Louis and 45 from Central mauritius. Would make sense for you to get an apartment in Grand bay and surrounding areas

As for going out, it more or less is equivalent to costs in India . Just replace INR with MUR for the costs ( i.e., a meal at good restaurant in Inda minus drinks cost between Rs500 to 1000 INR per person.It is the same here, but costs rs.500 to 1000 MUR)

Regards,

Hope this helps!!

Cheers,
Musheer

Hi,

It is a good salary  to have a comfortable life in Mauritius. Grand Baie is an excellent and hapenning place and I am sure you will like it there. Houses will be a comparatively expensive.I lived in Oman for 7 years .You will find Mauritius the same as Salallah.

All the best.

Terence

AIK2011 wrote:

Hi,
Is that a good offer?

Regards,

Dear,

This is Vishal from Gurgoan(India). I am Software Engineer and I am going to relocate to Mauritius for the six months. Please Let me update the living cost(in USD) in Mauritius for typical north indian.

Thanks in Advance.
Vishal Sharma.

Hello Guys....
For my friends who like to know COST of Living in Mauritius..... I manage to do some Excel worksheet for Single immigrant and coming with family...

Ofcourse I am not the expert but this based on my experience so far... Hope this help you guys...

Cheers !!

Sorry seems cant attach excel file...

for Individual's

Monthly expenditure for an Individual                       

One-time  (immediate expense)                       

Fully Furnished house            Semi Furnished House   

Near Sea     20000 to 25000            18000 to 22000   
    Centre     15000 to 20000            10000 to 15000   

Security House Rental    16000            10000   
    Advance House Rental    16000            10000   

Rental    16000            10000   
    Transportation (car on rent)    15000            15000   
    F&B    10000            10000   
    Electricity    1500            1500   
    Water    75            75   
    Gas    300            300   
    Phone    2000            2000   
    MT    1000            1000   
    Miscellaneous    3500            2000   

Total Monthly    49375            41875   

Total Monthly with One time    81375            61875   

With Family

Monthly expenditure with family                       

One-time  (immediate expense)                       
    Dependent's Bank Guarantee    20000    each           
    Fee for Bank Guarantee    750    each dependent per year, no pro data           

Fully Furnished house            Semi Furnished House   

Near Sea     20000 to 25000            18000 to 22000   
    Centre     15000 to 20000            15000 to 20000   

Security House Rental    16000            10000   
    Advance House Rental    16000            10000   

Rental    16000            10000   
    Transportation (car on rent)    15000            15000   
    F&B    18000            18000   
    Electricity    2000            2000   
    Water    150            150   
    Gas    300            300   
    Phone    2000            2000   
    MT    1000            1000   
    Miscellaneous    5500            5500   

Total Monthly    59950            53950   

Total Monthly with One time    112700            94700

Hi ,

I have got a job offer in Mauritius for 100k MUR per month and the office will be in port louis. I m single. Would like to know about approx rental for for a 1 bedroom house or a studio apartment in port louis.This will help me to calculate the monthly expenses. If port louis is too costly which are the nearby places I can stay and commute to port louis on public transport. I m not planning to rent a car since the assignment is only for 1 year.

Reagrds,
Tom

Hi All,

My company is sending me to Mauritius and they will be paying me MUR 50,000 per month. My company will not be providing me with anything except an office there, so I have to spend for my accommodation, food and every other things which is necessary to live there.

Could any one tell me what will be an average rent for 1 Bedroom kitchen house, which is fully furnished in Port Louis.

Also, I drink and smoke very oftenly and likes to have parties and fun in my free time. So, will MUR 50,000 would be enough for me,if yes then how much I can save each month and if no then how much more will be required.

Thanks for expat team for creating such a nice medium for interaction and guidance.

Cheers !!!

Ankit

Hi raj..you may need a car for moving around with family.

Everything is covenant and sighing reasonable walking or bike distance in grand baie..a motorbike can be handy. If with family then definitively a car.

I guess you will have assistance from your work for rental etc..if need assistance or advice pm me. Cheers ray

Ankit Sondhi wrote:

Hi All,

My company is sending me to Mauritius and they will be paying me MUR 50,000 per month. My company will not be providing me with anything except an office there, so I have to spend for my accommodation, food and every other things which is necessary to live there.

Could any one tell me what will be an average rent for 1 Bedroom kitchen house, which is fully furnished in Port Louis.

Also, I drink and smoke very oftenly and likes to have parties and fun in my free time. So, will MUR 50,000 would be enough for me,if yes then how much I can save each month and if no then how much more will be required.

Thanks for expat team for creating such a nice medium for interaction and guidance.

Cheers !!!

Ankit

Hello it will tough to save while having drinks, smoke and parties on 50k pm in mauritius. Well depend on how you will spend really. Cheers

I am new here - first post.  I am looking at a possible job with a multinational based in Grand Bay.

If I am planning on living there for 3 to 5 years, is it better to buy a car?

Thanks for this great site.

What about home & contents insurance? How much will that cost for a family of 5 with a 4 BR house on rent?  I presume rent will be about Rs40k per month.

If I rent a car for Rs 10k per month, what is the running cost?  At Rs50 per litre of petrol, will Rs 5000 a month be enough for a small country like Mauritius (I use now similar fuel for 2 cars in NZ).

Good day we are in advanced stages to move to Mauritius early in 2012.  Please give guidance on the following:
*Is it best to work via an estate agent for long term rental accommodation - if so - please give details. 

Regards
Saartjie

hi i m sumit.i need some advise i want to go Mauritius .but i dont understood that if i will carry indian rupees ,can i easily exchange my indian rupees to mauritius rupees.

hello julien!my name is Onyx i have a job offer in Mauritius Island as an Optometrist the Salary that Given to me is 1,500 USD with free accommodation and Transportation can this amount sustain me working there and save for my family? I really need your advice coz i need to decide with in this week if i will accept the job or not.

I'll be Moving in Mauritius after 3 months if I will accept the Job Offer..

hope to here from you=D

Onyx

Hi Sumit,

Indian currecy has no exchange value in Mauritius. At the airport you will get a very low rate. It is better you bring USD , you can change it any where in the city or the airport.

smtkmr980 wrote:

hi i m sumit.i need some advise i want to go Mauritius .but i dont understood that if i will carry indian rupees ,can i easily exchange my indian rupees to mauritius rupees.