Can anyone tell me if this article still applies?

I found this article about Malta when surfing and researching about moving there.....I have one contact there....an estate agent and asked him if this was still true and suddenly the emails have died......

I know it is difficult when you have upped sticks and taken the plunge to be negative about a place......but before I take the plunge I would like some answers. I have looked up the car registration and it looks like I will pay for my 10 year old car all over again...

Thanks

http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/ … 778679815/

Depends how long you have owned the car.
The electric and water rates do seem to be changing and it's getting easier to change across to the tariff that home owners and Maltese enjoy on their first property, their second property is the one they get charged the higher amount on, and unfortunately this is the one that people usually rent.

The bus charges are now done via a talinja card which you can obtain and get discounted rates, these rates are not discounted due to being a citizen, resident or the like they are discounted due to the fact your paying upfront for the travel.

With regards to the car importation tax being different, I think the person is wrong there as even the Maltese have to pay these dues when they bring cars / trucks in.

There are negative things about Malta such as the beer is to cheap, the sun shines to much, the people are to friendly ;) ... No on a seriously note you have good and bad in every country, paceville is not a good place to be but this could be not just because of Maltese but also different cultures clashing under the influence of cheap alcohol. The driving here is terrible, the bus drivers and taxi drivers I am sure take lessons on how to be an arse, the Maltese drive similar to the Italian but with a bit more care, although running stop signs, going through red lights, driving under the influence of alcohol is common practice.  I would say to come and visit for more than 2 weeks, look for the places you want to live remember the bus system is, no matter what people say, a decent system, if you compare it to the cost for a travel in the uk it's actually a cheap system, so you will need to look and see the distance of where you will need to go on the buses if you don't use your car.  I live in a little village, Birzebbuga, which for me and my wife is ideal, friendly, cheap, easy going, but not as busy or as much amenities as say Marsascala.

It's each to there own on how and where you want to live you life, but come over and live like a resident as opposed to a holiday maker and see how you feel, also visit in Winter, yes it can be warm and sunny outside, but inside with the humidity can be cold

No matter what you do do have the regrets of what if !

Julian

Alphatango1954 wrote:

I found this article about Malta when surfing and researching about moving there.....I have one contact there....an estate agent and asked him if this was still true and suddenly the emails have died......

I know it is difficult when you have upped sticks and taken the plunge to be negative about a place......but before I take the plunge I would like some answers. I have looked up the car registration and it looks like I will pay for my 10 year old car all over again...

Thanks

http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/ … 778679815/

If you are purchasing a property then it is no problem being on the correct tariff for utility bills, if renting you need to complete the correct form and submit it to 'ARMS' to be put on the correct tariff, this can now be done even without the landlord completing the form as far as I know. We moved here 3 years ago and our utility bills are about 1/2 what they were in the UK where we used to pay up to £1000 a year just for heating oil!

The bus fares are the same for Expats as Maltese nationals and the system is now based on travel cards similar to the 'Oyster' card. (Arriva no longer exists)

Obtaining a bank account varies from bank to bank but an account can be opened with a passport and proof of address. Internet and phone not a problem. (Some suppliers may request a deposit, ours did not)
If you have owned your car for 2 years or more prior to the date you arrive in Malta you will not have to pay the registration fee.

As to the general attitude of authorities to 'foreigners' I think it varies with the individual you are dealing with, some very helpful and some not, to a large extent it is not helped by the fact that many Maltese speak in what seems to be an aggressive manner, even to each other, to the point that I used to think there was a fight about to start!
One thing is certain you will always get half a dozen different answers to the same question from  Government officials.

Hope this helps,

Ray

Thank you guys very helpful and good advice......

sadly much of what is mentioned is still happening and am not even sure if it has moved on or improved any at all since the article  = if it has its been very small steps... all i can say is read the comments and threads here from those who have years of experiences living here ask the questions, consider everything and ignore nothing  = then do more research , never ever assume anything. The secret to a successful move is planning planning and more planning = preparation is a must as is an exit strategy should things not be what you expected  - reality is often different to the romantic vision one envisaged

Trust nobody and no-one until that trust has been earned  = even the smiley smiley agents and landlords.

good luck

thats not to say Malta isnt a nice place to live, with the right people and places mix it can be heaven... (Heaven to some and Hell to others)... - it is a fab place to live once you've found the right location etc and  reconcile the differences and accept certain things will never change or will change slowly - we enjoyed 6 yrs living there and left only a year ago for new adventures and experiences..... Malta was too small  for us  - we've left one rock for a slightly larger rock lol

Enjoy the experience and enlightenment... above all else enjoy life and embrace as much as you can...

i would agree with toon - you need to be careful - I wouldn't take the article as gospel - it's one persons experience but I wouldn't point blank dismiss it either - you can do all the planning in the world and things will still go wrong .
Make sure that you keep your wits about you and you have backup plans and never ever live in the town or city you may have stayed as a tourist whilst they may be paradise for two weeks long term you have to think more practically .
Come out and experience living in Malta - book and apartment short term and see how living here actually feels like ( if your not sure)

Malta can be a great place to live but it's a huge change to get used too

If you have any questions etc please feel free to ask and read all the threads -

Alphatango1954 wrote:

Thank you guys very helpful and good advice......

We used to live near Northampton at Great Brington and nice a village as it is, we would not move back there, or to anywhere else in the UK. ( Could not afford to anyway! )

It's nicer here in Gozo

Ray

With regard to utilities you still need the signature of the landlord on Arms Form H to have access to the correct residential tariff for people living in their primary residences.

However, the EU is on to this.  At the last meeting of the EU Parliamentary Committee of Petitions (14/7/2015), it transpires that the EU Commission is unhappy with the response of the Maltese government re the Arms (sole, state owned utility billing company) / tenants issue. They think it's wrong that the tenant depends on the landlord's permission to have access to the correct tariff. In fact they kept my petition open.

So things are changing. Good luck whatever you decide.

Alphatango1954 wrote:

I found this article about Malta when surfing and researching about moving there

Thats impressive.I assume there were no waves?

Well actually Sunshine lover there were plenty otherwise I wouldn't be asking :lol:

Johanna MacRae wrote:

With regard to utilities you still need the signature of the landlord on Arms Form H to have access to the correct residential tariff for people living in their primary residences.

However, the EU is on to this.  At the last meeting of the EU Parliamentary Committee of Petitions (14/7/2015), it transpires that the EU Commission is unhappy with the response of the Maltese government re the Arms (sole, state owned utility billing company) / tenants issue. They think it's wrong that the tenant depends on the landlord's permission to have access to the correct tariff. In fact they kept my petition open.

So things are changing. Good luck whatever you decide.

I am not sure where to find it, but there was a post by someone on this blog to say that ARMS were now accepting form H without the landlord's agreement as long as you can show proof of residency at the specific address. ( ie. a tenancy agreement.)

Ray

Apparently they are it Was in times of Malta

Yes you can but be aware of the consequences of doing so - by going behind the landlords back.. he is likely to not take it too well

but then if he was being upfront honest and open about things it wouldnt be necessary.. would it?

I'm afraid they are mistaken.  We're working on it, but it just ain't happening as yet.  I think what you are referring to is trying to get the residential tariff by taking the lease with you and a copy of a newspaper article (not allowed to post link, I think), where the Minister for Energy and Health, Konrad Mizzi, is quoted as saying that all a tenant needs is his lease. 

If you were to do that without your landlord's knowledge, it may cause you problems with your landlord.  Plus I still think that Arms staff will refuse to process your application, unfortunately.  Up to you whether you want to have a shot or not.

i think your right Johanna that is indeed what is being referred to.. but i believe at least one person DID do it and proved it ... it is a long time ago though... but ive not heard of one person since that day ever achieving that same objective...
and am also sure ARMs will find a way of refusing to process any others....

id also state that most rational and civilised people wouldnt want to be or are capable of being that confrontational, new life new country and all that jazz