Opinions on schools, please

Several months ago when my hubby made the decision to accept the position he was offered in Riyadh, I started investigating schooling options for my 2 boys who are currently in Year 7 (12yo) and Pre-school (4yo). From this forum and others I found out about the American International School and the British International School, and it seemed that the AIS-R had better reviews.

However, now that hubby is over there, he has been chatting with colleagues and has got a different story. He has spoken with several Americans who have children at AIS-R and one man whose wife has worked at both schools. Their consensus is that the American School has a real problem with bullying for one thing, plus being way more expensive - as in more money being constantly requested for activities, on top of the fees paid. All of these people are recommending the British School as being better as far as discipline, and pretty much the same as to academics, sports and extracurricular activities.

He was also told that the Multinational School follows the Australian curriculum and is less expensive than the other two. I have checked the website for the Multinational School, but can't find any parent opinions on it which I would value more.

Is there anyone on here who currently has children in any of these schools, or knows someone who does? I'd really like to hear what you think of them, how the children have adapted, the communication processes between school and parents, what the discipline is like etc etc etc

Our older daughter, now 35, attended Dhahran Academy (SAIS) in the Eastern Region from 1981-85 and then the SAIS-A-Riyadh from 1985-89, while the younger, 29 now, attended the British School in Riyadh from 1985-89.

In our view the system of education delivered by the American School is certainly much more rounded, has added value, and also instills a great amount of independence, confidence, and strength into the hearts and minds of the student. The British School, on the other hand, while extremely strict in terms of discipline, concentrates on specific academic achievements to a greater degree.

Both schools provided ample opportunity for sports, recreation, arts, drama, field trips etc.

Bullying is not specific to any particular school. It prevails in the hearts and minds of the students in the school.

Over here, we have a mixed bag of square pegs in round holes, so to speak of expat families, some from their home nations, some who are migrants in western nations. While most of these parents are holding top positions in various private sector and public organizations, enjoying fabulous financial and other perks, they may not all be properly situated in their homes from a psychological, social, ethical, practical and disciplined manner.

If you simply look at the way many of these nattily dressed, three piece-suit, types drop their kids off at school in the mornings, violating every single rule in the highway code, you will understand what I mean.

While both our gals have been very successful in their professional careers, today, our personal choice would be the American System of education based on our own experiences, here.

Discipline can never be enforced from only within a school if it is lacking in the home.

You cant prevent a young man from smoking if his father is puffing away at home, in the car and at work, 24 X 7...

You cant expect the chap to refrain from using F#$% words when he hears it morning, noon and night, freely expressed within the home....

You cant expect him to treat other people with kindness, sincerety, truth, and honesty, when his Dad and Mum violate every ethical code in the book in his presence....

Charity, still begins at home!

well i attend MEIS (Middle east international school)and the cirriclum they use is superb and when u reach grade 9 u choose between the sat (american) or the igcse(britsh). curriculum.furthermore it not that expensive.Many students who transfered from the american school ,multinational all have claimed that the studies here are more harder.

Banderxz wrote:

well i attend MEIS (Middle east international school)and the cirriclum they use is superb and when u reach grade 9 u choose between the sat (american) or the igcse(britsh). curriculum.furthermore it not that expensive.Many students who transfered from the american school ,multinational all have claimed that the studies here are more harder.

in middle east which curriculum u studied ,it has cbse,american and french curriculum.and also can u review about future window school or any other good school.

Thanks a lot for the advice, can you refer to the schools websites so we can be able to contact if needed?

abozaid wrote:

Thanks a lot for the advice, can you refer to the schools websites so we can be able to contact if needed?

Do you want list of schools?

parveen banu wrote:
abozaid wrote:

Yes please along with contacts and reviews if possible.

abozaid wrote:
parveen banu wrote:
abozaid wrote:

Yes please along with contacts and reviews if possible.

1)New Middle East International School-        Phone: +966 54 887 1804
2)    al hussan international school       .         Phone:+966 1 248 9338
3)manarat al riyadh international school.       phone: -011 4540444,
4)the learning caravan international school.  phone-+966 1 463 4573
5)riyadh multinational  school                         Phone:+966 11 275 1751
6)british international school                          Phone:+966 1 248 2387
7)Al alameen british islamic school                Tel :  + 966 1 4649666, 053  020  8907
8)american international school                     Phone: +966 1 293 6019
9)rainbow international school                       Phone:+966 1 463 0393
10)my little school                                          phone:+(966) 11 48 22 820,sms or whatsup-+(966) 50 626 8660
11)future window international school            High street behind the fog city king fahd medical
12)crayons international school and activity centre   phone-Tel 0096612071952
these are the best schools in riyadh.i found it out with so much of hard work and research! because  i am also searching school for my son and have registered in few schools from the given list. go ahead ! all the best.