Number on my way to Riyadh

About to join the expat community in Riyadh in approx. one month (September) . . . excited and nervous!!!  Are there any obvious pitfalls that I should be aware / prepared for?

Am I better to look for a compound / complex to live in or does it not matter too much?

How long, on average, does it take to settle in . . . or is that as long as a piece of string?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome, different folks different strokes, as you will hear lot of opinions from different people. Once you get here you will get hang of it.

As for accommodation, should be provided by your company or you find one yourself.

Thanks Hamudi, are there any districts in Riyadh that should be avoided?

38hipster wrote:

Thanks Hamudi, are there any districts in Riyadh that should be avoided?

I'll let the residents of Riyadh answer that....I'm from Jeddah..

No area in particular. All good residences are in good areas. The one or two that comes to my mind; I don't think they have nice residences and they are also away from city centers and business areas.

North Riyadh, in my view, is the best for living as it is less crowded, traffic is much smoother, and the people in general are very cordial and decent.

We have been living in this area for the past 8 years and are loving it very much. Previously we lived in Sulaimaniya and Olaya which was good at the start but has now become congested with businesses, shops, and road blocks on account of the construction going on for the Riyadh Rail network.