Ford Escape?

I will be moving from China to Guanajuato, Guanajuato late September,  I will apply for FM-3 in Washington DC the prior week.  Can I get the FM-3 or does it take some time.  Can I then proceed to MX and get the FM-3 later?

I do not have a car now but want to know is it better to get the car in the US or MX?

Once you get permanent residence status, you must remove an imported car from Mexico.

To answer your other question.  Getting a visa to enter Mexico with the intent of residency can take several months.  The last I heard, you have to start the process from outside Mexico.

Perhaps some of the others here has more current info.

Yes, as I stated, I would start the process in Washington, DC, then continue on to Mexico.  I think I read that they will give you 30 day visa (not a tourist visa) and you are to continue it in Mexico since it takes a while to complete.

I further understand that your US imported car can stay in Mexico the duration of your FM-3 status.  Is that correct?

I appreciate your help, but I need an answer from someone who knows

It took me from May to September to get what you call the 30-day visa that allowed me to enter Mexico.  It took 3 visits to the Mexican Consulate in Las Vegas, Nevada.  That Visa was good for a year but you had to start your residency process within 30 days of entry and could not leave Mexico till your residency was approved.

There's no such thing as an FM2 or FM3 anymore.
There's either Residente Temporal (Temporary Resident) or Residente Permanente (Permanent Resident).
You get one or the other depending on your financial status and/or other plans.  Either of the two documents can take from a few days to several weeks or even months.

You may get a permit for a US car as part of the procedures at the Mexican Consulate.

I understand there is no longer a FM-2 or FM-3, but people still use that nomenclature for it's equivalent.

tcstoker wrote:

I understand there is no longer a FM-2 or FM-3, but people still use that nomenclature for it's equivalent.

No one that I know still uses those terms. FM3 and FM2 were bound up into the Residencia Temporal. Inmigrado is now the Residencia Permanente.

joaquinx wrote:
tcstoker wrote:

No one that I know still uses those terms. FM3 and FM2 were bound up into the Residencia Temporal. Inmigrado is now the Residencia Permanente.

I hear a couple of people use those antiquated terms in Puerto Vallarta this last winter still.

Interesting, yet you knew what I was talking about

Aside from you're being argumentative, the only ones who use these terms are those who have neither.

Haha, thanks for your "friendly" advice but someone who knows more than you do helped a lot.

And you DID know what I was talking about, right?

Enjoy Mexico

If you plan on staying a while it's better to get the car in Mexico. If you plan to become Temporal and eventually permanente you must have a car from Mexico, or no car..

As I understand the process, which I am doing myself, it is apply in the U.S. and Providing all the required paperwork. You have 180 days from seeing the Embassy agents in the U.S to return to Mexico .When crossing the border make sure you let the agent know your plan is to be a temporary resident so your visa coming in says Canje   Once you are in Mexico you have 30 days to complete your paperwork and take it to The INM office.

It seems there might be a change once again, but there may be a lot of $$ hoops to go through. A financial opportunity may have become apparent because now they are saying this 
"Export and then re-import the car using a Customs Broker – If you want to keep your car, there is a process to legally import the car by paying the relevant duties and import taxes. You'll need a customs broker to assist you with this process. The name of the person with the Residente Permante permit will need to have clear title to the vehicle (no liens or encumbrances; and no leased vehicles)  – see Mexperiance site. It's a very fluid picture apparently.

Thanks, as I understand it, A US car can stay in Mexico as long as your FM3 (MTVR) is good - is that correct?

tcstoker wrote:

Thanks, as I understand it, A US car can stay in Mexico as long as your FM3 (MTVR) is good - is that correct?

Surprised that you asked that question here and didn't address it to that guru that knows more than we souls here.

You probably want to research this yourself, using some of the information you have been given, and you might want to consult a lawyer . You definitely need to start saying residente temporal instead of FM3.
That said, the last thing I heard was "You cannot have a foreign plated vehicle in Mexico under this status.  This has caused a great deal of controversy and there may be some grace period or changes to this regulation. (June 2013 comment) This is still a hot topic of debate. Some people are getting renewals of their temporary Import Permits when they gain their Temporal status but it is expected that that may only last for a while as the attitude of the government seems to be that it will not be permitted especially if you have some income associated with your status. Only time will tell. (July 2013 comment) It is still debatable and being debated but it appears that until the tax law (Ley Aduano) is changed you can get a temporary import permit. Best to ask a professional to help you with this." Not much has changed since that time except that things seem more arbitrary  and they may or may not let you have that car. As a tourist I kept renewing every 6 months by exiting and coming back, and have had the car in Mexico for two years. Now I'm just tired of it, so I will get a Mexican car.

Obtaining a Mexican Resident Visa by Sonia Diaz  soniadiaz.mx

Please note a tourist can not start the visa application process from within Mexico. This can only be done at a Mexican consulate outside of Mexico.

1. Temporary Resident                             

Balances in bank ~$25,000 US with 12 months of individual bank statements,

-or-

Monthly income $1,500 US with 6 months of individual bank statements

Note: Foreign pated car is allowed but be sure to renew car permit when renewing visa. You can not earn income including as a landlord as a TR. If a TR wishing to earn income once you a re a TR, we can obtain a permission to work which means earning income eve as a landlord. 

2. Permanent Resident:

Balances in bank of  ~$100,000 US with 12 months of individual bank statements

-or-

Monthly income of $2500 US with 6 months of individual bank statements

Note: no foreign plated car is allowed as a Permanent Resident but you are allowed to earn income.

Proving home ownership in Mexico is a plus for either visa.

Consulate application form to start visa process needs to be printed, completed and taken with you. This form says Laredo but applies at any Mexican consulate.  It is in Spanish.

http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/laredo/imag … sa_esp.pdf

Plus passport sized photos.

And, here is a list of all Mexican consulates in US and Canada.

http://www.mexonline.com/consulate.htm

If going to Laredo here is the contact information:

Laredo
1612 Farragut St - Laredo, TX 78040
Tel: (956) 723-0990
At Laredo allow approximately 2 hours. They open at 8 and close at 1:00 pm.

Once completed and your pre-approved visa is stamped in your passport you enter Mexico. If driving, go to the immigration office as you enter Mexico or if flying when you land, immigration in Mexico will process your documents. Present your passport with your pre-approved visa. Please have your passport stamped and obtain a FMM. Check the box "CANJE" on the FMM. Do not check the box that says "TOURIST". You have 30 days to make your application at your local INM and I will assist with this process.

Note: consulates vary and are independent from INM (Immigration). Some will welcome you with open arms such as Laredo and others will take days, more than one visit and thoroughly review your financials.

At your local INM office, there are several steps including on-line application, photos, copies, bank payment. Once all is submitted in approximately 2 weeks an email is sent saying time for fingerprints. Another form is required to be completed on-line at this time. Once done, in 3 to 4 business days, you return to INM for fingerprints.  In another 2 weeks your visa is ready.

Those who can't remain in Mexico for all 4 to 5 weeks have an option to obtain a travel permit through INM. In San Miguel this takes one to two business days, requires an application, photos and banking. From the day this travel letter is issued, you must be back in Mexico within 60 days. One can only apply for a travel permit when you provide finger prints ie 2 to 3 weeks after submitting your initial documents at your local INM in Mexico. The person has to return to Mexico and have the travel letter with both stamps... when they left and when they entered. Then I, if I was the one to submit their documents, can pick up their visa with the letter they authorized me to do so at beginning of process.

saludos
Sonia

When I went from Residente Temporal to Residente Permanente in August 2013 after 5 years in Mexico as first FM2 then Residente Temporal, the income requirement was waived.  I didn't have $2500/mo. income.  Is that still true?