Maputo History

Hi expats,

I'm a writer who is currently working on a novel, part of which is set in Maputo between 1955 - 1975, in the tme just before the Portuguese left, when FRELIMO were at their height.

I am wondering if anyone knows any of the social history of Maputo at that time?

Things I am particularly interested in: what were the main forms of employment for Portuguese nationals at the time? How was society set out? Were there many Mozambicans working with/for the Portuguese and how did it feel for those there at the time? What was Mozambique's main indistry at that time?

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has memories of those days, or who has some knowledge of the history. My Portuguese isn't good enough to go through the many online resources that are written in Portuguese.

Many thanks,

Laura

Hello Laura,

Welcome on board  :)

If you are looking for testimonies, it will be better to drop an advert in the corresponding section : Looking for testimonies in Maputo.

Thank you in advance
Bhavna

Hi there.
Mum,  interesting your work is... well, I would be glad in helping you as am interested in knowing more about Moz history so working with you as a translator (free of charge) I think it would be fun. Although that part of history is not always on the first line of info am sure is there somewhere.  We have  things like Arquivos histórico da UEM ( Eduardo Mondlane University) and many others.

Are you in Mozambique?