English-language Test Exemption

Hi,

I'm British and have been living in Laos for the last 7.5 years but now would like to move back to the UK with my Lao wife and two children and was looking into getting a settlement visa for my wife.

I've been working for a UK company while here and paying UK tax and NI and, while I left my job a few months ago, I can probably pass the financial requirements through savings and have absolutely no plans to claim any sort of benefits.

We have accommodation available for all four of us with my parents and can get a letter etc saying so.

We have been through the rigmarole of proving our relationship and proving that we have lived as a family with the kids via a huge wad of photos and other documents and so have finally got British passports for the kids.

However, my wife is not the sharpest tool in the box and would never pass the English language test. She's also far too shy (outside of the house anyway!) to sit and take such a test. I'm sure she'll learn it once we're there and surrounded by English but I don't think it likely beforehand.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of ways to avoid the need for the test or the whys and wherefores of claiming exemption?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Unfortunately the test is a mandatory requirement and I honestly do not know of any exemptions or ways to avoid the test. The UK Govt is making it really difficult if not virtually impossible for returning citizens to bring Asian spouses home.

As you are well aware the paperwork is horrendous and expensive.UK friends have had to endure the process to bring their Thai wives over and a coupe have since come back to Thailand.

I don't now whether the test is basic or complicated. Maybe do some online research about it. Perhaps try to persuade your wife to take lessons here in Laos. Do you have friends whose Lao wives speak English? They may be able to help.

Perhaps ask the UK Embassy for assistance as to the test requirements or check on the UK Govt immigration website for the information.

Yes, I've been looking at it all morning and it looks like we're gonna have to bite the bullet, move to Vientiane and get her learning English...

Apparently, it is quite a hard test. A friend of mine moved back with his Lao wife before the requirements came in and he says she's only just reached the required level after seven years there! And, in my opinion, she spoke quite good English before she left! Sigh...

The Investor's Visa doesn't need English but, unfortunately, you need a million for that. I can do a mil in kip but not pounds!

Thanks anyway.