Taxes for Expat in Malaysia

Hi All,

I am from India having 9.5lacs of package with 5.5 yrs of work experience. I an negotiating on an offer for Kuala Lumpur for 15K Ringgit.

My consultancy is saying that taxes will not be charged at 24%-26% but 11% as the consultancy is based in singapore and some logic the consultancy is saying. If i will join, i ll join in Nov-Dec of this year.

Please let me know if this can be an actualy scenarios where expats working in MY in any case have taxes at 11%?

Whatever happens in 2015 is not the same as 2016. You will have to qualify in 2016 to be tax resident. Involve a Chartered Accountant to explain. Non tax resident pay 24% flat. If you expect a work permit from Malaysia you are under Malaysian tax laws.

Thanx a lot. Just for my information, if i join in Nov-Dec 2015, will i be paying any taxes for Financial year 2015-16?

Tax years are calendar years. There are rules if you join in the last 90 days.  But 2016 is a new tax year from Jan-Dec so you will be non tax resident and p ay 24% for the first 182 days. It will be tax equalised in March/April 2017.

I will look out a tax memorandum from the Malaysian Institute of Accountants and post it.

Edit - here it is - please read before asking questions.

http://www.mia.org.my/new/psp_taxation_ … amp;id=945

What your agent is suggesting is tax fraud. Avoid!

Hi Gravitas, do you have any recommendations for a chartered accountant in KL? I am struggling to find one that can handle some work with my KL-based client.