Hungarian Schools

Dear All,

May i know Hungarian schools teaching in which language Hungarian or English?

Regards,

qsm

Public primary and secondary schools use Hungarian.

Private schools can teach in other languages such as English.

For higher education, best to simply ask the specific University what languages their courses use (many, but not all, use English).

qsm wrote:

Dear All,

May i know Hungarian schools teaching in which language Hungarian or English?

Regards,

qsm

I have school age kids. The main choices for foreign language based schools for say primary or secondary school I know about are: Hungarian, German (Austrian), French and English (American and British versions). They differ in curriculum and "style". All of them teach Hungarian as well. As my kids are bilingual English/Hungarian, they go to a Hungarian school. Strangely, here where I live and in language training specifically, German is free to kids but English is not (parents have pay extra). Probably because German will be subsidised by the state as a minority language or the Germans or Austrians subsidise it. No idea. There are no actual lessons in English, like say Mathematics or History.  The language training might only be 40 minutes per week. It's at a low level.

Universities are easier for some things.  There are plenty of courses for say medicine or dentistry in English, German etc. Just go to the specific university web sites.  For example, Debrecen University is well known for its Norwegian and Iranian students doing medical subjects in English.

BTW, it's not commonly known but EU citizens can study at undergraduate level in English for free or very low cost in Germany on certain courses.  Much lower than other countries.  Google it.

fluffy2560 wrote:

German is free to kids but English is not (parents have pay extra)

I for one would call any required compensation a "private" education for only those who can afford it, even if offered at a public school.

fluffy2560 wrote:

There are no actual lessons in English, like say Mathematics or History.  The language training might only be 40 minutes per week.

So this school is just teaching English, not teaching in English....

Hello,

Thanks for the information, in the public school is it easy for kids to learn Hungarian and do you think kids can start surviving in the schools with a different culture and language.

Regards,

qsm

Well i am taking about the kids of level 7, level 6, level 4 and level 2.

klsallee wrote:

So this school is just teaching English, not teaching in English....

Yup, that's about the size of it. I think in the private schools, then it's reversed, everything in English, German, French etc with about 3-4h of Hungarian per week.

qsm wrote:

Well i am taking about the kids of level 7, level 6, level 4 and level 2.

Don't know what you mean by level.  If you mean year, then perhaps level 7 is year 7 which would be either 12 or 13. Kids start primary school here usually at 6 years old but in other countries, it's 5 (in the UK for example).  Best to say what age.

As for the language, if they were in a state school, they will be bewildered and they will need remedial teaching.  The younger ones will adapt faster of course.

As I see your "flag" says origin Pakistan, without knowing your preferences, there's no Islamic schools or similar cultural norms in state education as far as I know.  Everyone is Roman Catholic or some other version of Christianity. I have seen Bhuddist monks and even Hare Krishna types wandering around (strangely in the forests).  I myself have trouble with trying to find any school that does not involve itself in a religious affiliation. I would prefer secular or humanist education or no religious involvement at all. But that's really quite difficult to find in the state system.

Asslam o Alaikum qsm ?
                                      how are you ? I saw your expat path you been in Saudi Arabia in Jubail , Actuall i am also from pakistan living and working in Saudi Arabia but now i am Planning to Budapest Because Me & My Family have Permanent Residency of Hungary , If you do not Mind is it possible if i share some views or have some guidance from your side ? Because i want to buy apartment there , and 2nd i want to invest in some business there if you can share with me regarding this Plan if possible