Current rules to live in Bulgaria full time

Hi looking for precise info on moving to Bulgaria (BG) & living there permanently.  I am a 64 year old UK citizen receiving pensions.  I left UK 8 years ago to live in Sinai Egypt where hubby studied & later worked in the diving industry.  Now we are looking to leave this region due to on-going problems in the Middle East and the region in general.  I have been twice to BG (Yambol area) and love the Bulgarian people & way of life (such a drastic change from the stressful place I am currently).  Can anyone advise me on the following:-

1)  Is it easy for me (as a UK citizen)  to relocate and live in BG full time?
2)  Is there any procedures i have to comply or fulfill to be allowed to live in BG?
3)  Can I remain indefinitely as an expat in BG or do I have to leave periodically (like Thailand for  example. where you are made to leave every 3 mths & then have to re-enter again)?
4)  Can you apply for resident status?  if so what qualifying period must be complied with 1st?
5)  Is it straightforward to purchase a house?
6) Is there any problems regarding owning the land on any house I might consider buying?

If there is any other pitfalls or rules I need to be made aware of I would be very grateful to be made told please.  As you can appreciate the move 8 years ago when I sold up "lock stock & barrel" & left U.K. for what I thought was a 'new start' was very stressful & worrying at the time & especially stressful since 2011 when things turned sour where I currently live.   Having to do this again is frightening to say the least & at my age I need to make sure of all the facts good or bad before I take a leap again - I am afraid I am getting too old for all the stress  :( .   I look forward to any replies from you expats & thank you in advance for anyone willing to take time out to respond  :)

Dear

I'll try to answer some of your questions.

1)  Is it easy for me (as a UK citizen)  to relocate and live in BG full time?

Yes it is not a problem for any EU citizen to live in Bulgaria indefinitely

2)  Is there any procedures i have to comply or fulfill to be allowed to live in BG?

There is no designated procedure that will allow you to live on the territory. The fact that you are EU citizen makes you eligible to come, live and go whenever you wish.

3)  Can I remain indefinitely as an expat in BG or do I have to leave periodically (like Thailand for  example. where you are made to leave every 3 mths & then have to re-enter again)?

Yes you can live indefinitely on the territory, there is only one requirement. You should register in the Immigration office and if you want they will issue you an residency card.
4)  Can you apply for resident status?  if so what qualifying period must be complied with 1st?

The resident card indicates the period you are staying on the territory it can be for 1-2-3 to 5 years. After 5 year stay you can apply for citizenship if you wish.

5)  Is it straightforward to purchase a house?

Yeas you can buy a house, a flat, or a plot to build one.

6) Is there any problems regarding owning the land on any house I might consider buying?

No there aren't as long as you are an EU citizen.

I wish you a great day!

I was beaten to it but basically I was just going to point out that since you're an EU citizen and Bulgaria (unlike Egypt or Thailand) is a member of the EU you will find it much easier to move here than you would to those places. You can pretty much do as you like in terms of living/buying etc.

Hi Emanuela   I am so very grateful for the quick reply and the precise information you have provided to my list of questions.   Your replies have put at ease concerns about 'moving on' and starting again in a new country .  Thank you again for taking time out to help me get some clarification   :cheers:

Hi Kaminoge - thanks for replying too.  Yes life is very difficult where I now reside.  What with internal problems along with regional problems in general in the middle East it's  very unsettling life for us 'foreigners.  But now they have decided to amend our visa rules making us jump through several hoops & travelling great distances to comply through terrain that could hold unsavoury elements  (say no more).  Think its time to move on & get back into the EU lifestyle for sure   :)

Hi,,I am 63yr & relocated to BG to live 4 months ago from UK,,1,,Relocation has been brilliant for me,,regarding standard of living ie living costs a lot cheaper here than UK,,and very Peacefull,,2,Procedure to live here,,,you have to prove you will be Self Supporting ie,Job,or sufficient money in bank to live here,,3,,yes you can apply for Residance Card providing you have property here & Self Supporting..4 House purchase here,,no problem,,would advise you have Legal Advisor to help with Buying Property & Resident Application,,etc,,5 Owning House & Land,,no problem here,,ie original plan of property will show you what you own(boundaries),,,i would suggest you & husband come here for 1 month to look at what is available for your needs,,it is Truelly a Beutifull Country to Enjoy,,,wishing you both happiness,,follow your heart  :) eddie,,,,Hey!! life is to short to ponder,what might have been? :)

Hi Eddieg - many thanks for your response, so kind of you.  Seems I am overthinking unforeseen problems & I should take your advice -= life's too short to ponder AND too short to waste humming & hesitating. 

Finally does anyone have any info on which method of health plan is available.  I think I read that it is possible to pay into the BG health plan - is that true?  If not what private plans are available & are they silly high prices?

Hi Anna,,i have my ",European Health Ins Card" which i applied for in UK,,,but i have had a couple of inexpensive quotes from Private companies in BG,,if you want there details i will pass on to you,, :)

I  was recently granted my OAP  pension from the UK, and enclosed with the notifications of my details was aform to take and register over here so I would be entitled to medical treatment ..  As yet I haven,t had to use it so I am a little unsure if all medical costs are met.  Also you need proof of the above or proof that you have medical insurance to enable you to apply for permission of long term residency in Bulgaria. Winters can be rather harsh and most people have wood burners.  This is proberly something alien to you residing in Egypt I would imagine ,but as long as you are prepared for the lifting and carrying , life can be good if it,s the simple life you are looking for..  The pound goes along way which helps to maintain a reasonable life style.  Good Luck in wherever you finally choose to settle in

Eddieg - I have an EHIC card which i got when visiting relatives in UK January (in preparation for relocating to EU  :)  ).  Would still be interested in details of those companies you got quotes for if you would be so kind. I have heard that the Japanese hospital in Sofia is excellent.

I note from the  time of your last reply that you're a night owl, like me.  It's in mid 40's here in the day so I stay up in the (slightly) cooler nights & Zzzz in the day   :|

Hi Happyneet, thanks for replying  :top: .  Would be interested to know from you if that form the SRP sent you for medical was the EHIC card application form?  or another medical service you can receive as a pensioner?.  Could you advise me please - if it's another service I can probably apply to SRP once I move over as  will have to notify them of my change of circumstances & re-route my SRP to a BG bank account anyway

I love the Petchca wood burners (stayed with a friend last year for 3 week & it got cold).  Yes, seasonal weather in BG for sure & I am aware that there are cold hard winters (but short one's).  Seasons will make a very welcome change to the constant heat I endure here in Egypt (currently mid 40's)  :(  It can get so debilitating all this mild & hot weather & not much seasonal changes

Hi Anna,,,Armeec Insurance,,quoted 204 lev per year,,or you can pay monthly,,6months,,,,the other company,,,insurebulgaria.com gave me a quote which ive lost,whoops :/ but i did insure my property with them,,,blimey!! 40c  thats hot,,,hope info helps :) eddie

Hi Eddieg - you're a star thanks for the details and defo helpful.  That works out approx 74UKP on the Armeec quote you gave me (74lev).  That's significantly cheaper to the private cover I have here in Egypt which was approx 300UKP - so another positive tick in the box for BG  :top:

Yup, 40 is yukky for sure.  Been 35+ for a few months now & 40'ish for last 3 weeks.  Can fry eggs on the patio floor

Morning,I have just  checked the paperwork sent to me from The Pension Service,  It was a S1 form which will entitle me to the same medical cover in Bulgaria as a Bulgarian national.  I think I might have to look into finding additional medical cover too, just to be on the safe side.  Hope this is of help to you .Regards.

Hi Happyneet,   Thanks for the info.  i googled S1 and there was a link about 3 forms - however trying to open that link I keep getting timed out!!.  I copy & paste the google summary & link below as it may help you or others wanting more in-depth info;-

E Forms EHIC/106/121 - Expathealthdirect
www.expathealthdirect.co.uk/eforms.htm
The three main forms are the EHIC, E106/S1 and E121/S1. ... in receipt of a state pension should obtain an E121/S1 from the DWP in Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

I notice in your reply you think you may have to find additional medical cover.  If you look among the replies I received eddieg kindly gave info on 2 medical covers he found locally.  i hope this will help you too.  Best of luck to you & if you do apply for one of those or find another local cover please let me know & what you think of the provider.  Again thank you for taking time out to reply to me

No probs, glad I could be of help in a small way and yes I will keep you updated as and when.

:top: happyneet

Happyneet: I moved to Bulgaria at the age of 73 yrs. and I had my medical documents from the NHS transferred to my doctor here. I, as a result of this, received a non-contributary health insurance backed by the NHS. I have used it on 2 or 3 occasions and have only had trouble once. That was in Sofia where the issue date, which was in 2010, was queried and they wanted an issue date for 2015. I had to get the Bulgarian Health Authorities to verify that my insurance was valid. Prior to that I had to pay 2 consultation fees which were not refunded. In the Yambol area, where I live, I have no problems. I only went to Sofia because I was advised that there I would get the proper diagnosis for my condition, which was blocking of the arteries in my legs. I did get everything I needed and I am now being treated in Yambol and having the final stage of my treatment, an artery by-pass, next week. I'll be glad when it's all over.

Afternoon Fingers,
Thank you for this information regarding medical care.  I am registered with a doctor in Burgas who speaks English.  She has never suggested that I have my medical records transferred over from the UK, but with hindsight this would make sense.  I am very lucky that I have only visited the doctor twice and one those times was to actually register.  I will be looking into this more  and perhaps contact the NHS online to clarify what I am/not entitled too.  Thank you so much for making contact and pointing me in the right direction.  I also wish you all the best for next week and a speedy recovery.

Thanks Happyneet.

Happymeet: One thing that is very important. When you receive your insurance certificate keep it safe and only present a copy of it if you require treatment. The reason for this is they retain the certificate and if you use the original you will have lost it.
One other thing that occurs to me is you state you are 45 minutes from Burgas. Did you mean 4 to 5 minutes?

HAPPYNEET - Just read the posts between yourself & Fingers.  Would be very interested in knowing what info you get from your inquiries "I will be looking into this more  and perhaps contact the NHS online to clarify what I am/not entitled too".  The problem I may have is I left UK 2007 & lived ever since in South sinai, Egypt. Don't know if that will be a problem?

I am hoping as a pensioner since 2010 that the NHS would still say I am covered if I relocate to Bulgaria as it is a EU country.  And, as such, transfer my medical records & provide me with this certificate with a current issue date.  I presume this certificate being discussed  is the "a non-contributary health insurance backed by the NHS" that Fingers mentions.

FINGERS. -  Just read the posts between yourself & Happyneet.  I have just replied to Happyneet and hope you get to read that reply too. I was pleased to hear you have had no problem when going to Yambol for medical attention. 

Yambol region is the area I am looking to relocating to hopefully.  Been over twice to look around and love Yambol for the shopping.  Interested in the villages of Tenovo & Mirimar for houses.  If you know of any other nice villages like those that have good local afrastructures such as shops ATM's local medical centre, cafes & local meeting places etc etc. I would appreciate any recomendations.

I, like Happyneet also send my best wishes to you & hope you get a speedy recovery & wish you good health which I am sure you will have living in BG

Hello Annanirvanna. You ask for suggestions of villages in the Yambol area. The one in which I live, Kabile, is probably the nearest to Yambol being a distance of 6km. There are 3 shops and 2 nice bars come cafes. Kabile, in Roman times, was the capital of Bulgaria and there are Roman ruins and a museum close to the village. The village is looked upon as a prestigious area and is well worth your consideration. If you wish to prospect the village I could provide you with accommodation or there is a respectable hotel also available. I look forward to seeing you in the future.

Hi Fingers,  I live in a very small village 30mins from Sredets and 45/50minutes from Burgas. We have only about 100 people living here in the summer and even less during the winter.

rules have changed a little I think
your best to go to uk first then to Bulgaria
maybe your pension will be reassessed on the rules that if you out the country in none eu country you only get your pension with no increases
As now in eu if from uk your pension rises with increments.

Hi -
To add to the responses, I spent years researching and visiting Europe, finally selected Bulgaria, then researched that. I chose Veliko Tarnovo, or VT, because it's a stunning, medieval city, the former capital, has around 30,000 UK expats living there, and offers all the city benefits, though it's not too big. I bought a wonderful home very smoothly using an estate agent runs by two Brits called Yantra, and I found a fantastic property manager, ex RAF. I couldn't praise VT highly enough. Take a look! Oh, and in the future, they'll open the cargo airport, a few miles from VT, to commercial air traffic. Watch them prices rise then...

Hi Fingers.  Wow, thank you very much for the offer.  On the 2 prior visits I stayed once in Malomir  (2013) and Tenevo (October 2014) with a English lady who stays there part of the year and has her own small webpage selling houses in the Yambol region.  However I feel I must also independently look at the housing market to ensure I get the broadest aspect of property availability.  That is how I got to know about Yambol town centre and also had tests down at a Yambol hospital for which I was pleasantly surprised the the service. 

I will look at the properties advertised on property agents on Google for Kabile.  Being only 6km from Yambol town center sounds excellent as that will give easy access to the town if  public transport becomes a main means for getting about.

I will let you know if & when I do come over again, which I hope will be soon as I am feeling more & more insecure living in the Sinai region of Egypt.  Time to root down in a securer environment me'thinks for a number of reasons   :|

Hi Tefpet.  You are quite right - my pension commenced 2010 and has been frozen ever since.  Reason stated is that as I live outside the EU country the Gov't do not link my pension to annual increments, neither do I get fuel allowance or Christmas bonus   :(  This is something I was NOT made aware of when I decided to leave UK. 

I contacted the Pension service a couple of years ago and they confirmed that if I did relocate back to UK. or to a EU or Schenzen country my pensions would be re-assessed & increased to the current award amount and attract the normal increments etc. 

I did go back to UK for a couple months at end of 2014 (1st time in 8 years) to see my elderly Mum & check out trying to see the feasability of going home to UK.  Going home is totally out of the question as rents are so high I could not afford to move back  :( .  However whilst I return to UK or move to a EU country I can request 'uprating' to my pension to what it would be if it had not been frozen.  This I did and it was quickly and efficiently uprated & I was given the higher rate, then down rated again to the frozen amount when I  left UK  in January this year

Hi publishandbedamned.  Thank you for taking time to post to me I am very grateful. 

That is very interesting what you say about VT.  I will also take a look at V.T. on my internet searches for properties  What are house prices like there? and are there certain regions of VT that you would recommend over others, or villages close by?. Is there low - zero crime there? Do you have any web addresses for property people such as the one you mentioned (Yantra) so i can browse on-live what choices of houses there are . What amenities are there such as medical, social etc?   Sorry for the bombardment of questions but the only way to know is to ask  :)

Hope to hear from you with some 'pointers'.  Need to get this move right as sold all & moved from UK to Egypt and now feel I MUST move back to a calmer more EU orientated environment.  At 64 I must consider my needs for the future as well as safety & security, quality of life, food choices AND less blistering heat

I suggest you rent for 6 months but travel round , east, west, north and south to try and find real situations and prices and info you need for all aspects of moving here before you commit.
But don't do it July, Aug nor Jan, Feb as temps too extreme normally.
Many beautiful places but sadly some villages have crime for foreigners in particular.
Good luck
Margaret
https://www.gov.uk/living-in-bulgaria

Hi Margsrobin.  Hello Margaret - that sounds a good plan to rent, sample BG life & do indepth recce to find the location & property to commit to in my own time.  This I hope will be the last relocation for us so need to get it right (this time).  Not seen rented properties advertised though - is there separate web sites for property rentals.

Had a chuckle at your piece of advise to avoid July & August due to extreme temperatures. i live in South Sinai, Egypt (for the last 7 years) & have suffer 40+ temperatures 4 months of the year on average with the rest normally in 30's.  Now yes, Jan & Feb will definitely be a shock to my system   :o

Will keep away from small villages for sure & hopefully find somewhere that has some British already resident which i presume will be the larger crime free locations 

Thanks for your time & posting - have a nice evening

Hi -
You're welcome.
I travelled all over BG, and immediately fell in love with VT. It has a university, so a sizable, friendly, young, global population of people who speak English. Older BGs usually don't. I tried learning, but gave up!
House prices are extremely good - a beautiful property for the price of a new car in the UK?!
Talk to estate agents - just Google estate agents in Bulgaria - about areas around VT. They'll say which are good, and drive you all around. I'm in a village called Lesicheri which I adore, 20 mins drive from VT. It's normal to ask which villages are free of gypsies - you do not want that - so park your PCness! Crime is low, though petty crime isn't - I had to replace my new windows - but I'm not there all the time and people discover that. BUT, my excellent property manager keeps it in good shape, and put in dummy cameras and alarms, always a good idea. Medical facilities are good in VT, many villages have a doctor, but to be honest, I chose VT to learn all I needed to from British expats - very important lesson!
Quality of life is wonderful. My village has one restaurant and three shops, quite normal. Good, inexpensive food without pesticides. VT has all every city has. I wanted seasons - deep snow in Winter, very hot in Summer so prepare - but I'm delighted with my choice and tell everyone!

Thanks publishandbedamed.  Thanks for the tips.  Yes I agree security should be in place no matter where you are.  We are looking to live all year round so hopefully that would keep any would-be criminals away (plus we want to bring our dog over with us).  Here in Sinai there is crime too against foreigners as they think we are all rich!!!.  Most houses have ornate metal grills of windows & doors as a anti burglary deterent.  But they still get round that by shoving small kids thru the gaps & they break the windows gain access & open the door from the inside!!!!!

Just been looking at Yantra Homes site which another's told me about & wow VT looks really nice and the houses are really really nice.  Will look for other agents & seriously thinking of renting for a bit and really check the regions out before committing my small savings to a house purchase.  location but also medical, shopping, social and other day to day services are most important.

Hope you are well and keep in touch - maybe one day we will have a coffee together at a local cafe   :)

Regards asking if there are any gypsies in the villages, is all well and good, obviously though some gypsies pass through villages too, so just be aware that even if the agency say's that a village is gypsy free and a low crime/no crime area if a person passes through then you can not prevent that? I have looked at these ornate bars even down to iron gates over doors etc... but it is a bit sh*t to hear that they too are not secure if they pass through the skinny kids!!

I can drive from the local town to the village where my rural house is, I will pass gypsies on horse and carts, fair enough you can spot them they are around, living their lives making a meager living from whatever they can I do not agree with them stealing items but that is what they know it is a generation after generation attitude way of life that has been passed down, I too have been unfortunate to lose windows, boilers, tools, anything that is not nailed down if the house is unoccupied it is vulnerable, (even down to a pair of old shorts I wore to do odd jobs that were all dusty and no use to anyone except me, if they took them then where is the bar set to what they don't take!?) I am pleased to say that it is only petty crime and hopefully can be prevented and avoided in most circumstances, it would it be much more horrific to hear of violent attacks or threats, that would be awfully disturbing to consider. 
I have since looked into a security patrol system and entry points to a alarmed response if that is what it takes then so be it, it also does not really sit well with my conscience that hiring this type of security but they are obviously needed, and popular in all villages I have passed through they would not be viable if there was no crime?
The local police did pick up two men "apparently" but I heard no more on the matter, the local Major reassured me that these people were passing through an "opportunistic crime", but again it is quite common though for people in authority to divert blame or plead ignorance, as to keep crime rates low.

Saying all that I drive to this house, and the views are spectacular the natural scenery peace and tranquility are amazing, I know that if I was a permanent resident then the opportunity would be less greater to steal from me, it is their country that I have chose to buy into and I have more than them in monetary matters, I am more fortunate which is not a green light to steal from me, but breaking down the scale of things my optimistic view is living among people showing you are not really that different will surely go some way to alleviate this matter?
(I wouldn't leave my door unlocked here in the UK either so it works both ways!)   

I hope that anyone that is considering a move to Bulgaria or currently resides here too like me appreciates the country for what it is, their culture is not very different to our own cultures, we all would look after ourselves and our own, we all want a peaceful easy way of life.

Good wishes to all that achieve one!

Hi Free2Go  - thanks for the advice which is absorbed & stored for reference.  As to the middle east situation - yup worrying for sure & that's apart from all the local 'moving of the goalposts' we are having to endure  Not happy days for sure.

Stepool 1970  thanks too for your time & posting.  I don't think there is one country that is totally crime free.  So as you say vigilance,  integrating oneself with the local community & taking sensible precautions is called for.  We are looking to live all year round so our house would not be a tempting opportunity for some thieving little so-and-so's.  Plus hoping we get our dog over with us, he's a wonderful smart dog that can even sense a mouse about

Wish you both well & thank you again