In Muscat soon... What to bring? How is general life there?

Hey,

I am moving to Muscat in two weeks time from the UK. It would be really great if I could get any advice or tips regarding what to bring with me etc and just about life in general in Oman. I guess I should start organising myself now and begin packing!! I have a live in nanny job and will be in Muscat for at least 2 years.

Thanks in advance for your help  :)

Awww Fayy-first and foremost , You really need all e courage, patience, determination for a live in job.say a little prayer before you leave home.

Oman climate&weather are very different from the Uk. this is a desert, extreme heat.from March to october.almost bare ground with scattered trees, and shrubs.so you have to really be prepared to wither all conditions. You dontneed the heavy jackets , boots n all.During winter a sweater , stockings may be.
You really need to drink lots during e summer to avoid dehydration.
Everything will be a walk over as time goes on.

You mite experience hair fall.the water is abit hard n too purified. But as long as your internal organs are okay, that wouldn't be on top of your worried.

Mmmhhhhh.you have to beware of the scams via phone n web.dress decently, not skimpy.eat well and above all guard your official documents.

Am not trying to scare u off, just preparing you for e adventure.

Dear Fay,our friend Mariamns thankfully elaborated on the issue.My view is  bring along all your personal things so that u use them further until u get to know the city,the market,prices,brands etc.
Life in general is pretty simple every social level finds Muscat as his own heaven;One can have good lunch for 3 to 5 pounds or can go to fancy places and pay 10 times as much.
What distinguishes life here as compared to other countries is obviously the feeling of being respected as a human being,no discrimination,no snobism,everybody ques.Law is applied on all w/o differentiation ,add to that  the strong feeling of expats of being safe and secure.

safe trip and enjoyable stay

Thank you to you both for your help and advice! The move is this Saturday so I'm pretty much good to go now!

Yeah do come, safe trip to the land of tranquility and peace. God speed. in case u need anything at all u can call me to my mobile no. 94584463 hoping to be my guest for a Lebanese dinner at SEMSEM restu in Muscat Grand Mall soon

Fayyy wrote:

Thank you to you both for your help and advice! The move is this Saturday so I'm pretty much good to go now!

Safe journey and keep the faith

Hi ...

Welcome to Muscat and yes you need a short time to get to know about life stale. I am working as HR Manager and we do indication program for new staff. I Was in UK for 5 years fir study and sure the life different, but I am sure you will be happy.

in case you need more help or more information you can send me email
All the best

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not share email address on the forum.