Rent short term for now?

Hey everybody,

My family and me are moving to Malta on August 19th and I think I'm slowly but surely getting desperate when it comes to finding and apartment somewhat close to the university. Our budget was 450 for a two bedroom apt, we have now with a lot of calculating gone up to 500-550. But it still seems to be an impossible task at this time of the year.
Now my question... Would it be smarter to rent short term for the month of September as well and hope for lower rents in October?
Will they go down by October? Or will we have to live with a higher budget or long bus ride to university?

Thank you all in advance :)

I think for the next few months you will find it difficult to get property in that area for your budget - it is possible to find somewhere mind but it wont be easy you need to be on malta park early in the morning ring and move fast

getting something short -term may be a viable option however you will need to keep an eye on things because come september you will have all the students looking for places and so it could be just as tough

you could as you suggest try other areas  you can get places in marsascala south of the island for 450 a month * 2bed so it  all depends on how far you want to travel etc

I wouldn't mind taking the bus to university, I'm just a little scared since I have heard mostly bad things about busses in Malta.. as in arriving late or not at all. Has that changed a little lately?
But I will definitely get a prepaid card for my phone first thing when we get there, so I can ring fast whenever something comes up. Thanks for the info.
Also very true, the start of the semester may not be a very good time to find good priced apartments as well, sigh.

buses arent bad first thing - matt travels to sliema every morning and usually arrives in plenty of time

make sure you apply for your tallinja card before arriving or as soon as you arrive as it will save you massively on the buses

Okay thank you very much for the tips!
I'll definitely look into some apartments now that are not in the central area.

Rob do you know anyone renting out apartments in marsaskala within our budget? For ideally 450€?
Or do you have any tips on who to get in contact with, should we just take the bus to Marsaskala and ask around?

Go on MaltaPark - look at times of Malta - ask in shops etc

http://www.maltapark.com/search.aspx?se … p;maxp=600

This is a link to all properties under €600

Thank you!