Driving in Saudi Arabia

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Saudi Arabia? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Saudi Arabia?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Saudi Arabia: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

The crowed starts when the schools resume.
Metro works are making all streets crowded in general.
People here drive their cars as if they are riding horses.

You know that the majority of the population in here are between 15 - late of 30  years old . So, some are rising up  wisely and other are rising by cultural beliefs. All about how educated people they are. Once the family take care of their kids in their earlier age and control their behavior then they'll be respectful even to the stone in the road. Also, it depends on the people who surrounding  them.  This is my point of view.  But this can be find in different countries every where in the world there can be good and bad. Just ignore and reflect this on your  life journey.

Driving in Saudi? RECKLESS

Think of the driving laws in all other countries that are followed and driving here is the opposite. & no enforcement of the laws.

Just a few things seen everyday are 12 yr old drivers, to babies sitting on the drivers laps, to kids hanging out windows & sunroofs, driving the wrong way on the roads, triple parking, and 3 lanes made into 6 lanes.

I think its mostly lack of patience and road-rage, combined with everyone late to be somewhere :)

Driving i the KSA is insane and terrifying expedience especially for those who came for the US, mostly red light means nothing, no speed limit, no respect, no priorities, no police, following TOOOO close is very common and scary, recklessness, you name it.

You don't want to drive here, SERIOUSLY...

Horrendous is all I can say!! I've never seen so many accidents in the 8 weeks I've been here!! And young children driving, babies sitting on laps in the front, to be honest I am a nervous wreck every time we have to go out in the car!!

Driving in Saudi Arabia, can be summed up in just one word. Dangerous!

The only way to survive here is to drive defensively and be prepared for the most unexpected to happen.

It is very common for drivers here to arrive at junction on a 3 or 4 lane road and decide they want to turn left or right. To do so they think nothing of turning across 2 or 3 lanes of traffic to get where they want.

Red light on traffic light is 'optional' here. Always check as you drive away from green light that someone else is not jumping the lights, which can easily cause collision.

No one gives way. If they do it is rare. Be prepared to force your way out at junctions or you will sit there forever.

I am fast driver. I find best way to drive when maneuvering in traffic is to drive very slowly and always anticipate someone will do the most stupid action when least expected.  Driving slowly annoys other drivers here and they love to hit the horn, but I enjoy making them angry!

I am advised KSA has one of the highest road death rates anywhere. It does not surprise me.

In my experience in Jeddah and Riyadh, the worst offenders are Pakistani taxi drivers. Probably never passed a driving test and they are very bad drivers.

I've driven Boston, NYC, Miami, Chicago, LA, Seoul, Bangkok (8 years - w/ 4 years driving an ambulance), Riyadh (3 years), AL Khobar (3 years) and now Jeddah / Taif and have never been involved in a serious accident.

<knocks on wood while mumbling: 'al humduleelah'>

IMO, Saudi driving demands the perfect blend of offensive and defensive driving tactics.

You must (MUST) be on constant alert and prepared to outrun and/or make way for other drivers, walkers, camels, other animals and the occasional bicycle or motorcycle.

Admittedly, I lean towards the offensive and accelerate harder when I am alone in the car, but I do become much more defensive when someone else is with me with a constant eye on the back mirror.

I've taken courses in avoidance driving, etc. and feel very afraid for those expats here who seem to 'think' they can drive well on Saudi roads, but actually make the classic mistakes of taking other's poor driving personally, being over-reactive to other bad drivers and physically reacting (IE; jerking the wheel, gesturing to other drivers, slamming brakes) to those uncontrollable outside forces. 

Driving here is serious business, but must be tackled with an air of calmness in order to walk away alive.

Wear your seat belts folks (they save lives more often than not), cut down on your in-car distractions by preparing for your route ahead of time, buy or rent cars with multiple air bags, check your mirrors and all functions of your automobile before driving.

Be safe out there.  :)

sarahngeoff wrote:

And young children driving, babies sitting on laps in the front !

We call that as Saudi airbags !!

rareshine wrote:

Driving in Saudi? RECKLESS

I wish it was wreck-less :)

rusteryrog wrote:

No one gives way. If they do it is rare. Be prepared to force your way out at junctions or you will sit there forever .

That's so true, have experience this on numerous occasions.

Hello group,

My advice is don't drive at all! After three years living in Saudi Arabia, I have seen it all and lost too many students and friends to the madness of driving in KSA. Every year I lose a student, or a student's immediate family member, and have lost a fellow teacher two years ago, who died as he went out for his daily exercise walk after work. Another fellow teacher has been in an accident and recovered from broken ribs, and yet a third lost his wife, two children and a student in the same accident.

I have witnessed several incidents on my way to work from bumps to seeing bodies covered by the road as a result of gruesome traffic accidents in Jeddah where I live and  kept a record log of photos (except those graphic ones) as a keepsake of incidents I have seen on the roads of Saudi Arabia, and have arrived at an astonishing conclusion! "I see accidents so often on one route in Jeddah, that I only mark the days I don't see one". Personally I have been in two... And one could have turned out very badly had I not seen the car who hit my side of the door at the last minute as I braced myself to my taxi driver preparing myself for the impact! My side was a mess after and thankfully I only had a bruised and swollen elbow to complain about! All the teachers (no exceptions) at my work have been in accidents ranging from bumps to total loss of vehicles. Fortunately no lives have been lost at my work site.

As far as rules go, they have it here, but nobody follows them! Seatbelts are constantly ignored and unused, mobile usage while driving is rampant and traffic courtesy nonexistent! Which I find it extremely shocking considering the religious aspect of KSA.  As a Canadian, one aspect of traffic violations that horrify me here is the lack of safety and enforcement I see concerning children of all ages! It is common here to see parents holding babies in the front seat, children riding playing losely at the back and beside their fathers driving, and the ones that always give me chills in my spine are children driving with their heads out through the sunroof of their cars.

Saudi infrastructure lacks proper road designs that give priority to pedestrians. Close to where I live in Jeddah, they have built a beautiful wide road, but with no access to a crosswalk in either direction for kilometres. People are left to literally risk their lives crossing the wide span of this busy road by Mahmoud Sayeed market on Siteen street, in Jeddah.

Hoping to survive my stay here one more year, as the possibility of dying in a traffic accident in KSA is very real and not really taken in consideration upon being hired in any job here. Be safe out there people and watch out for them as you go about your business in Saudi Arabia.

@ginoexpatksa - couldn't have said it better ! I myself have experienced number of near misses, and the lesson learned is just do defensive driving and don't provoke locals or young shabab, they will for sure show you their stupidity !!

The worst thing which I abserved here in Saudi is the violation of traffic rules & regulations. Except this one more bad thing I have seen here sketting of the cars on the roads, throwing rubish (cold drink canes and food remains etc.) from the running cars on the roads and up on others.

Another Bad thing I have seen on the traffic signals people will come ahead of us from the back and will stop their vehicles in front of us beyiond the stop light even though they are not able to see the signal and they will run while we sound a horn!!!

Another bad thing I have seen, people intent to take left/ or U turn no matter if they stand in the last right lane! I have seen the people standing last on the singal, start blowing horns rather than to wait for the fron vehicles to go.

I will suggest the people shall follow the traffic rules and regulations.

ha..ha..correct!!! Some times looks like joke.

Saudi drivers are hateful and selfish, and you're expendable. To add to ReLLeK 's post, the best thing you can do is to leave your ego at home. That guy behind you who is so far up your ass you can't see any of his hood? Pull over and let him by. The guy driving on the sidewalk? Let him go. Get angry but for God's sake don't try to get even. You'll end up dead (whether from the traffic accident or the gun that a Saudi driver waved at me), in jail, or on an airplane headed home. You're here for the money and indulging your anger will take that away. Don't ever forget that.

But the big question is, how and when they will change ??

The way I see these locals driving, Sometimes I feel it's like a video game played on the screen,  !!

They won't change. It's a Saudi sense of entitlement that won't ever go away.

As an aside, Hertz at the Atlanta airport won't rent a car to a Saudi.

Drivers here have no consideration for each other. No order. No calm. Tempers flare so easily. Makes me realise how unsafe it us for women to be driving on the roads even if they could. Remember to say a prayer before you leave home. Talk about tempting fate.

One bit of advice I just can't take is this:  "Don't drive here, it's not worth it." 

Sorry, but I'd rather take responsibility for myself (and my loved ones) rather than hand it over to some reckless driver (taxi or otherwise) from the subcontinent whose driving skill is less than or equal to the locals.

Let's face it - you gotta get around!

sarahngeoff wrote:

Horrendous is all I can say!! I've never seen so many accidents in the 8 weeks I've been here!! And young children driving, babies sitting on laps in the front, to be honest I am a nervous wreck every time we have to go out in the car!!

Hi,
Do not say a joke..ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha........ if you ride on main roads then see everyday accidents (May God bless) they drove like a blind and wana ride like a horse.....no indications from coming 1st lane to the last lane immediately. If you in last lane like service lane and you drove slowly then also behind will annoys you always.
Anyhow terrible experience I had.

lawboy wrote:

They won't change. It's a Saudi sense of entitlement that won't ever go away.

I think, when they will start respecting life, they will change. But for sure it will be a very slow and gradual and tedious process.

As of now, it's very casual, if someone looses his or her life in the car wreck !

In one word "NIGHTMARE"  :D

There's nothing really wrong with the driving (but if Indians and Pakistanis keep getting licenses nothing will change)

I've driven here for over 20 years and only ever had one crash (ironically into another British guy - but he was driving a FJ cruiser)

Basic rules
1 "one pedal fully down at all times" choose one.
2 If you get your wing intront of them your entitled to cut them up
3 never indicate it just encourages people to try and close the gap.
4 treat all the other drivers like kids who got their dads "big engine car" for a weekend drag race.
5 occasional burnout will encourage others to drift (use sparingly)
6 if it's a disposable car I.e. Anything Hyundai, charger, 300c, crown Victoria or FJ cruiser expect bad behaviour.
7 pay your fines - especially the ones where your on the phone in the photo.
8 if you have to drive a small car get one with a proper handbrake - makes the corners quicker.

Also bear in mind most of these guys have bad iqamas and no insurance - it might be bravado but they really don't want to be up at the police station for not having the right documents.

:D
It's an awesome experience to drive in Saudi

Based on statistics 23 people die per day in road accident in Saudi Arabia.

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/caus … y-country/

I've seen drivers with one leg up on the dash board! :unsure

Alhamdulillah,
I Drove here more than 100,000 km in just two years in my Toyota Yaris with my wife and kid.
Still I am driving, Paid no fines, never cut a red light. Driving is a great experience for me here in Saudi Arabia. I Explored most part of the Saudi Arabia with my car and the Google map in my iPhone. It is an awesome experience.
Recently for the Eid Holidays,  I have traveled from Yanbu - Madeena- Buraidha- Al Gassim - Riyadh - Taif - Jeddah - Yanbu.  4,000 Km in just 7 days. It is kind of cool experience for those who enjoy travelling.

In Saudi Arabia,

1) The almost all the roads are Asphalt Highways, Freeways with 3 or more lanes in each side, divided with fences
     and the roads are "Tax-Free"
2) Less than every 50 Km, definitely you will have a Gas-Station with a Mosque with Bathroom facilities and a    shopping complex which would definitely have a coffee shop and a hotel.
3) Petrol is 3 times cheaper than the water.
4) Highway Traffic police is very friendly that if the found you sleeping in the stopped the car beside the road they  would wait behind your car till you wake from sleep. They helped me even to change my busted tire.
5) Almost all the roads are covered in Google Map and most of the road are covered with internet coverage. Some cities like Jeddah even shows you alternate road when it crowded by an accident or a detour.

Driving in Saudi is Fun and Less Costly

^ I like your style Rila.   And agree :)

Driving culture does not suit the whole life here.
Everything in KSA is slow.... You can't rush business, government, people etc. Even normal speed of things are rare to see.
But, when it comes to the roads, the mentality changes totally.
I was not a driver in my home country and learned in KSA. You have to be alert all the time. And in case of any accident you can find yourself in a biased situation for expats in negative ways (but I see rarely the opposite)

My first thought is, Don't do it !! We live in Riyadh just off the busiest road. There are daily accidents and fender benders. The worst driving is caused by drivers chopping and changing lanes in a queue. They get nowhere and it causes mayhem. People trying to join the main highway from a service road, nobody wants to let you in so most just drive down the breakdown lane. There are clearly defined lanes usually three but in Riyadh this is completely ignored and it is not unusual to have six or seven lanes of traffic all trying to get ahead and then when there is a slight gap, swapping lanes to get two seconds ahead. Chaos!! On a quieter day, if there is such, there will be youngsters using the highways as racetracks weaving in and out of traffic when they spot a gap. Then there are the drivers who sit in the outside lane until they come to there junction to get off and will cut across three lanes of traffic to take the exit, Never mind if there is traffic in the way or not.
Right hand lane at traffic lights turning across all the traffic to go left Grrrr!!
I know what people will say, Ah!! but you are a woman and can't drive in Saudi. I would say to them yes and with the way they drive in Saudi I don't want to either!!! I have been driving in the UK for twenty five years without serious incident but when in Saudi I am in fear for my life every time I am driven on the roads.
There have been a lot of road improvements in Riyadh over the years but if the road users won't comply to basic road traffic rules, the chaos will continue.

The only way they will change, is when the laws are enforced. Whoever breaks te law shall pay(Money, license points...jail ...etc ). Otherwise there is no hope.
For now what I do is try not to drive too often, only when it is absolutely needed, and when  I am driving, try to ignore the circus that I see before me :) try not to react, think of your health :)

Please Mrthoth. Let's NOT suggest now and assume that the mess in KSA driving and traffic is caused by Indians and Pakistanis!! That is a total joke and nonsense!! Any countrymen who comes from a place where driving standards are bad in the first place and let's face it.... There are many, will be home here and add to the problem, but the problem is the local system which fosters impunity! We have lots of Indians and Pakistanis in Canada too, but we don't have reckless driving as a result of this because the governing system is solid and EQUAL to everyone and the law applies to every driver regardless whether he/she is Canadian or not!

If you as a local invite me for dinner at your house and then you start throwing the trash around your dining room as you finish your dinner, how can you complain and tell wrong if I do the same? The main reason the madness exist in KSA driving remains with the guests if this country! They themselves are the worst kind of example in any applicable law abiding!

To add to your point:
1) I will be happy to pay taxes over the madness of driving

2) Yes... There are gas stations like you said and the mosques! Good if you are Muslim! But the washrooms are a total mess and despicable. I have travelled all over Saudi Arabia myself, and the garbage everywhere!!! Please don't let me start on that one. And the part that shocks me is the contrast of what the religion preaches about hygiene and what actually happens there personally and environmentally!
3) True... Gas is much cheaper!

4) Highway police is not friendly! They are to Americans, Canadians, British and generally Europeans. Don't be an Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Indonesian nor Philippino if they are having a bad day!

5) The world is covered by GOGGLE

6) You must have a death wish or not respect life to say it's fun to drive in KSA. Or of course be a Saudi!

the probl is not just the Saudis many of the Drivers employed with families  have never driven a car before setting foot in saudi, no knowledge of rules nor language

Or not know any traffic rules!!

KSA has one of the  best road network, equipped with link roads , safety signs and guidelines.
Normally people are good drivers, whatever goes wrong that is purely supported by intentions but not expected as it ends, Now there is not that much difference between an expat or local while driving or not following rules.

Speed limits, cameras, radars and spot checking has improved traffic up to some extent but yet people try to enjoy the "freedom" of having nice high speed cars, spacious roads and low priced fuel !!!

One must be vigilant always for unexpected entry.
Yellow lines is “favorites' for many people to enjoy the drive and scare the people. Normally giving them space and staying away are the best choice.
Thanks to Road safety and department in KSA, that it has secured the dual lanes with concrete blocks.

Anyway, people must respect & abide by law it as habit and part of life.
Otherwise they must prepare themselves for severe penalities and punishments with irreversible lossess.

Khalid
Jubail

I am working here at Jeddah in Saudi Arabia and driving since long time. I traveled almost all cities of Saudi Arabia. The driving sense of Dammam people is very appreciating. Jeddah is worse because every one having no time to spare for others and every one anxious to reach their destinations so fast. But only difference for driving fast and moderate is between 5 to 10 minutes. That's all. Even though Kingdoms driving is very cool and safe because of roads and bridges networks and day by day it going to be the best among other Asians, GCC and European countries,

In a country where majority of drivers on Saudi Roads (correction overwhelming majority) have never heard of the phrase "Right of Way"  talking of Driving and Drivers is a futile exercise.

On the road its not your driving skills that will protect from you an accident rather your knowledge of the local culture, the people in the City where you live and the local driving habits in general. If you understand (read respect) driving habit of the local drivers you are gong to do fine otherwise you are playing with fire.

Unless Kingdom enacts strict standards in issuing Driving licenses something similar to UAE driving on Saudi roads will stay the way it is.

that's all I have to say on this topic.

Hi,

Thanks for this Question. In fact I care much for this  topic.

The Kingdom has one of the nicest  streets I've ever seen in the Middle  East. However some problems persist despite many interventions which I've witnessed here in twelve years.   

The department of  traffic police, researchers, and social workers, religious figures,universities & national infleuncers are capable of making the desired  "change" for the below three matters which I believe  of continuous concern:
1- High Speed Driving  in narrow roads and rural areas.Beside driving manners:(
2- Children and less than legal age  drivers.
3-Drifting.

I believe the  above three can only be modeled through scientific methods, this can help understand  risk factors, contributing  factors and attributes of , citizins and expats alike , who tend to  violate safety and manners of the road.
High Speed  has been equated  to "Suicide" in Islamic Doctrine, which is  totally forbidden and unwanted- by many Saudi Scholars.Something which is great , the next step is to model, study and drill down for reasons and remedy.

The infrastructure is there, leaders , cameras, Sahir eye , police, trained workers and thinkers...and nice people like yourself!

best,

Hoopoe