Driving in Hong Kong

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Hong Kong? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Hong Kong?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Hong Kong: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Here is a link to my blog on the subject of Driving in Hong Kong.

- lesleycroftblog.typepad.com/expat_lady/2010/08/driving-the-hong-kong-way.html
Lesley

Hi LesleyinHongKong,

Welcome on board and thank you for sharing the link to your blog :)

We will invite you to please add your blog here : Blogs from expats in Hong Kong :)

Thank you

Maximilien

I personally do not drive a car in HK, this is waste of money since the public transport is excellent. But from my observations over the last 15 years I am living here, I would say that most car drivers have and do not show any respect with pedestrians, They hardly stop at the "Zebrastreifen" (sorry I do not know the word in English) vans and lorries drive like hell through the streets, often they cross crossings when the red lid is "red" The attitude of most HK drivers is comparable with car owners in poor countries. They have a car and behalf like "god" with other words, they demonstrate that they are rich and they can do what they want. Same behaviour is in Hong Kong. Frequently one can read in the newspaper that car owner are parking in second park row which is not allowed and based on the car brand one can assume that these owners belong to the upper class. It is a shame that the police id not doing enough to stop this selfish behaviour. Another unfortunate and lousy behaviour is the fact that hardly car drivers make place for emergency cars which have switched on the sirens and the blue light. Such behaviour would  strictly be punished in my mother country.
Since some years there is a law in HK that car drivers have to switch off the engine if they are parking or waiting. I did not see much people who switch off their engine, this is a undisciplined behaviour which shall be stopped by the police but it looks for me that they have no interest to do so. In summary the driver discipline in HK is very lousy.

i love hong kong v beautiful country  but i'm poor i like hong kong..........!