USA to Maadi - advice needed on clothing

Am trying to plan our move ...

What kind of clothing is unacceptable for my children?  What are the temp changes summer winter and does it get colder at night?

The school they will go to have sent me a dress code so I think I am ok there - ie not tanks or spagetti straps, shorts etc but what of normal everyday wear.  Will jeans be too hot?  and are shorts ok?  Do they need long sleeve t-shirts, sweaters etc. 

I feel at a bit of loss - not quite sure what I am asking ... but can anyone help.

Also what things, if anything, from the US do I need to bring to tide me over until I master the stores / supermarkets?

Any other advice would be welcome ... thanks

we have very mild winter's here compared to the us and where you are coming from. think more along the lines of wonderful springtime weather.

You should not need the "winter coats" for life in Maadi, a decent heavy sweater or hoodie will probably due just fine.

young children can wear almost anything and even bare skin for a young female child is not unusual to see and wont create a problem. but you should try to dress them in a conservative fashion due to respect for the local culture.

you should pack both jeans and shorts for daily and home use if that's what your are comfortable with.I live in jeans,  shorts while at home almost year round.i have acclimated to the local climate after all my years here.

what ever you pack you should remove all the clothing and similar items from its original packaging along with the store tags and prices.

will you have use of the apo or other duty free goods shipments to egypt related to your work.

I always brought extra shoe pairs, of my favorites and sneakers they are expensive here and not comfortable.

What dose acceptable mean??If you mean culture, In Maadi the community is different than the local Egyptian community, as most exapts lives their but not in all of Maadi, places like (Degla area) at old Maadi where most of the diplomats and foreign stuff of big corporate lives.
If you mean whether, it was 37 C yesterday, cold nights are not that much unless you are living in a new city where you feel the desert coldness, but it never snows in Cairo.

thanks - will buy extra sneakers - that was on my radar - also thanks for your advice re tags.  Not sure about the apo stuff - have read that we have something but need to check it.

hello mavr2002;

egypt is a kind of mixed cultures, if you walk in the streets you will think you are in a very conservative country , when you go to some special places & areas you may feel you are in paris, so for clothes it depends where you are going ,we use jeans a lot but let your wife bring some of here nice things so she wouldn"t regret what she left behind, as for children - as shorouk saied - there's no problems at all , for things you need to bring ,you can find evrything here but in high prices if imported & low quality at reasnable prices for local products,if you use gravy in your food bring some " oxo or other" as its rare here & expensive ,wheather changed a lot here its hot or normal most of the year winter is almost 2 months, anyway i wish you enjoy your stay in cairo

suzan