Childrens groups before school age.

Hi all!
My name is Dawn. We are currently in the north of portugal and will be for the summer. I have a 2 year old daughter who I would love to get mixing with any childrenof her age but we are struggling to find somewhere. It seems there isnt any mother and baby groups as we have in England and im interested to know what children do to make friends before school age, which I gather is 6 yrs old. Any information will be great.
Many thanks :)

Hi, Dawn,
I see no one responded to your question. Unfortunately, I think the only way to mix with other children is through signing up your child in creche/kinder-garten or to find some workshops for children. I do not know how are things working out up north regarding your question, but here in Lisbon, parents only allow their kids to hang out with their siblings and cousins. No playgroups, unfortunately, and everyone is just friendly on a superficial level - it is hard to make friends, plus a lot of parents barely even have time for their own kids, so it is hard to expect they will have a developed social life...All this does sound cruel, but I am speaking from experience. Hopefully, situation up north is better.
Try with a kindy or a workshop, as playgroups are hard to be found. Alternatively, try organising by yourself some expat playgroup for the kids. There are a few near Lisbon, in Cascais, that I heard of.
Good luck!

Thankyou for your reply, any information is helpful and all stuff to bear in mind.  I find it strange how they dont seem to have pre school groups. My daughter is desperate to play with children and so far its been the only down side to being here. We are looking to head south at the end of summer so will look out for some wxpat groups and maybe if we decide to stay in Portugal setting up a group myself could be something to consider. Thanks again :)