Public School for kids without dutch in Utrecht

@Primadonna thank you for your reply.

I am Greek, my wife Cypriot so no Dutch background. We don't have an issue with our son missing a year. We prefer him to be properly prepared for the evaluation regarding higher Education. The thing is that we want first to be 100% sure that we can live in the Netherlands before moving there. So the plan is for me to go alone for 6-12 months and then the rest of the family follows.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.
Assuming that you have to make this move now and intend to make the Netherlands your long-term home and that you intend to stay so your son can finish his education there, then I agree with Primadonna, your son will definitely benefit from being able to speak Dutch and the sooner he starts, the better.

I hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team
-@Cynic

Hello Cynic, thank you for your reply.

The plan is myself to move first, stay 6-12 months and then, when absolutely certain we can live there, move the family. This is why we want him to finish elementary in Cyprus. As I told Primadonna, we don't have an issue with him missing a year if this is needed in order to be properly prepared for the evaluation. This is why we are thinking to start Dutch lessons here in Cyprus (private tutor) and then, hopefully he will intergrade fast enough so that he will not have a problem.

The question I have now is this, are the children taking the evaluation on the last year of the elementary? If yes, in case my son will finish the elementary in Cyprus and then move in the Netherlands, he will be automatically assigned as  VMBO and he will have the chance to change to HAVO/VWO later on, provided that he will be capable to.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.
Assuming that you have to make this move now and intend to make the Netherlands your long-term home and that you intend to stay so your son can finish his education there, then I agree with Primadonna, your son will definitely benefit from being able to speak Dutch and the sooner he starts, the better.

I hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team
-@Cynic
Hello Cynic, thank you for your reply.

The question I have now is this, are the children taking the evaluation on the last year of the elementary? If yes, in case my son will finish the elementary in Cyprus and then move in the Netherlands, he will be automatically assigned as VMBO and he will have the chance to change to HAVO/VWO later on, provided that he will be capable to.
-@Mag8ternal

Hi again.

The situation you describe in your question is how the system currently works.  You should be aware that it won't just be your decision, the teacher has an equal say in whether they think your son will be able to cope with the higher/more difficult workload.

I wish you all the best of luck.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@Cynic Thank you for your answer, really helpful.