Common Law Marriage Status

Hi,

has anyone been through the process here to obtain the common law marriage status?  I need to find out what exactly are the documents that I require and the Embassy is not terribly helpful in advising me since they feel that it should be the Serbian Police who advise me since its a visa matter,

Thanks,

hi,

thanks for the reply, yes i have been to the police department and i have the list of documents that i need, except there is some discussion as to one of the papers that i need, in serbian it translates to " free status to marry".  they have said that this is proof that i am single.  what i can't find out is if what is needed is either a "single status certificate" or a "certificate of no impediment" - no one seems to be able to clarify this for me

Hi Bekaw,

Me and my boyfriend went through that procedure few months ago and it wasn't too difficult... My boyfriend is South African and he applied through their embassy for that Single Status Certificate. I am not really sure what are the options in different countries but I think the whole point is that somewhere on the paper you get from any official authority of your country it is clearly stated that you are single/not married. And of course whatever document you get you will have to get it translated into Serbian. For example here in Serbia valid document for such purposes (i.e. getting married) is a birth certificate not older than 6 months since you can see from it one's marital status... So, to conclude, its only important that they can see that you are not married from whatever document you may have... and I guess the name of certificate doesn't really matter. Al least I've got that impression.

Anyway, I hope I helped a bit

Bests,

Lj

thanks for the reply - it's good to hear from someone who has been through the process and that says it's not too big a problem.  i spoke to a couple of lawyers here who just made the whole thing sound a nightmare.

i have started the process with my embassy for the certificate of no impediment, which takes 21 days but i had to swear an affidavit that i am single etc, so maybe i can just get this document back from them and proceed with that.

thanks again for your help!! all the best

Well our peopče are abit slow,to be mild on them...but why in such hurry to get married?

Oh and be ure to ask them to use cyrilics..just to pull a leg on them ;-)Af for the whol proces beeing nightmare....what did you expect,they are lawyers???!!!

Hello dernhelmyu -> This thread is dated 2010. :/

Thank you,
Aurélie

No,thank you....;-) all cases ;-D