Driving in the first 30 days?

Guys,

Is it true that if I drive in the first 30 days before getting my visa and have an accident I'll be jailed or put under hotel arrest?

Anytime you are in an accident here you are subject to arrest.  If there is an accident with injuries and or lots  of damage ALL parties can be arrested until they can figure out who is at fault and 99% of the time It will be your fault not the local Dominican's.  This is regardless of the actual facts and it will cost you $$$$.  All insurance that you have should include "casa de conductore" which means that instead of going to jail they send  you to a hotel (1*) till it can be figured out.

Driving here is not a good idea for a first time visitor.  There are basically no laws and those that do exist are ignored most of the time.

Bob K

Hi Bob,
Thanks a lot for the insight. One further question, if  I can ask. Can you put a car in your name as an expat and can you insure it to include "la casa del conductor"?

Yes no problem but consider if you really want to drive in the Santo Domingo area.  It is an absolute zoo driving there. Even after 9 years here and driving all over the country I will not drive in Santo Domingo but rather use cabs. Cabs are cheap and usual costs are 150-200 pesos for where ever you want to go.  Much cheaper than the cost of owning a car.

BObK

Thanks Bob! Thanks a lot!

You are welcome and good luck

Bob K

Bob is not wrong in what he is telling you.  You need to be very careful here especially in SD.  As far as the jail systems here, yes you need $$$$ or a good Dominican friend.  Having been in a few situations both myself and some of my clients we have weathered some pretty violent storms without a lawyer and without the $$$$.  If you do decide to drive, start with a rental care and full zero deductible insurance (NOT your credit card insurance) before jumping into buying a car.  The majority of people here drive without driver's licenses or insurance.  Your driver's license depending on where you come from is probably good for 60 days.  Please remember the golden rule...There are NO right of ways!!!  Don't presume you are right and the other driver will stop, not necessarily the case, especially if they know you have money.  Many accidents here are not accidents, they are on purpose.  Never, never make a right or left turn without checking your mirrors and your blind spots.

All good advice

Bob K

Hi Dominic, I can imagine. It's pretty much the same im all south america. I had a whack in Brazil, speaking portugeuse or Spanish helps a lot. It allowed me to give my side of the story and 2 witnesses testified in my favor. If I didn't speak the language and there were no witnesses I'd have been in the slammer. You don't want to be there in Brazil and I don't want to be there in Santo Domingo. Thanks a lot for the advice. Very useful information.

Finding a witness who will see your side of the story here is about the same as waking up to a snow storm on Tuesday in Santo Domingo.

Bob K

Lol

This is why your good friend needs to be THE attorney in the CITY you live in. Just in case. It's all who you know.

But you do need a car for traveling around the country and coming/going when you want to go outside of your city.

Just get ready for the traffic during rush hours.

Let me add, there is very modern subway system in Sto Domingo, if you are lucky enough and find a position Or a place to live close by a subway station, you are set until you get all things straight.

Avoid to live in the Barrios, even if the Subway leave you in the front door.

I will suggest you use taxis for the first month or so while you find your way. They are inexpensive and you can negotiate for a full day of service or just place to place.  It's about RD 200 to Rd 250  from one end of city to the other,  about US 5.  Well worth it!

AND never use a taxi parked out front of a hotel or tourist location, bloody expensive. Walk around the block  and pay 75% less!

Very true about the hotel.  We walked 1/2 block from the hotel we stayed at a while back and the rate was 1/3 of the rate wanted by the cab at the hotel and it was the SAME cab company :D

Same can be said for the bus stations

Bob K

That's how they operate here. One price for locals, MUCH HIGHER PRICING for gringos and tourists. Why? Because you have more. Your a gringo :)

Remember, the money in your pocket is THEIR MONEY. Don't ask me how they think that way, but they do. So get used to it :)

Absolutely. I'm buying a car this week. I can't exist without a car.

Is traffic really that bad?

Thanks Drtuttle I will

I will thanks

Lol I'm dark and fluent Spanish,  they won't tell the difference

After one day in SD traffic you will be selling that car :)

Good luck...you will need it

Bob K

I bought my car in Santo Domingo, after lots of research, I spent 3 times going there, stayed 2 days each time and then settled for the best of the worst!  I havealways done my own car repair work and consider myself a backyard mechanic.  If you don't have at least this type of background, make sure you have the car checked over by a 3rd party mechanic before buying.  Also negotiate a final price with all taxes, license plates and transfer included.  Buy from a reputable dealer, not off the street.  Otherwise you may be buying a car from someone who doesn't own it!  Not a straight forward process in this country.  As for surviving without a car, without a car maybe the only way you survive in Santo Domingo unless you are used to driving with cars pressed against you on each side, front and rear!

Lastly, rent a car for a week or two before buying.  You can get some good rental deals if you shop around.  It doesn't have to be a new car and be sure to get full insurance.  If you survive the week or two without getting into an accident then you passed the first test!

Good luck!

Good advice. I had a vehicle on the north coast but did not have one in Santo Domingo. It was cheaper to use taxis. BUT I did not need to go out every day, I worked from home. 

Traffic is horrific most of the time in SD,  exception is later saturday and some of Sunday!   

Critical to check out cars with a 3rd party mechanic and run a background check with the VIN. Many dealers vehicles come from the USA and are insurance write offs. Double check everything!

I have had the opposite experience of Mike -  the only vehicle that was a true ripoff was bought thru a dealer.  I've been involved in the purchase of over 15 vehicles with various consulting contracts and bought 3 myself!

No matter what,  locals will know you are an expat, and treat you accordingly.  OVER time you will develop relationships with local who will understand you a latino expat and that is a bit different.

I should have also mentioned, I had 2 trusted Dominicans with me as well when I was looking and going through the process.

Always a good idea!