Crime in san miguel de allende

We are planning a sabbatical to SMA; we are a family of 3, our son is 2. I have been researching SMA and am getting nervous as it seems crime, including murders are way up, some blogs say it is very unsafe! We visited throughout Colombia a few years ago an were never fearful,we of course use common sense. should i not panic and proceed?

Precautions about your safety apply to anywhere in the world you live or visit including Mexico.  Yes there has been an increase in crime in SMA as anytime hordes of expats move into an area thieves/criminals follow them.  Probably most victims could have avoided a situation if they had used a little more common sense.  I find Americans here tend to flaunt things like jewelry, pass around dollars to anyone who asks for money, etc. which makes them more vulnerable targets.

We live in SMA. I and our 10 year-old daughter are Mexican, my husband Canadian. Seven years in SMA and never an issue. I do believe having a couple of larger dogs is a huge plus and the shelters have many. I also set up a neighbourhood watch for our area.