New to Macaé

Hi Guys,

I have taken a career break from my role in  London UK and have moved to Macaé where I am staying with my Brazilian girlfriend. I am initially staying for three months on my tourist visa but would love to be able to stay longer.

I am seeking work opportunities here in Macaé or the local area and I do understand the difficulties with this due to the lack of Visa (and Portuguese which I am trying to learn).

I am 33 years old. I have a background in Security, Policing, Sales/ Account Management and Recruitment.I also have my Football (Soccer) coaching badge.  If anyone can pass any advice regarding the situation I am in and any avenues I can look at in my attempts to find work (I will look at any opportunity) I would be most grateful.

As an aside, any bars that show the English Premier League?

Many thanks in advance for any help/advice offered!

Tim

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u531/wjwoodward/BANNER_zps3602e73e.jpg

Hello Tim,

On behalf of everybody at Expat-blog, welcome on board. I hope your participation will be both enjoyable and informative.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to welcome you to Macaé, it's a great little city away from the rat race of Rio and São Paulo. I'm not into the bar scene myself, but you might want to check with the staff at Hotel du Lac, Rua Aílton da Silva, 20 - Morada das Garcas, Macaé - RJ, 27920-430   Telephone:  (22) 3311-4001. They might show the English Primier League matches, but I'm not absolutely sure.

Perhaps we can get together sometime soon and I can give you the benefit of my years of experience in Brazil and maybe even some help with your Portuguese. I live in the far north end of the city (Lagomar) with my Brazilian wife and our 8-year-old son.

I'll send you a private message with my contact information.

Cheers,
James            Expat-blog Experts Team.

I'm so glad I found this thread! I just moved to Macaé for about two weeks now, and I'm looking for a place to learn portuguese! Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Liyenita

Hello Liyenita,

Welcome to Expat-blog and to Macaé. I'm sure you'll make lots of new friends here. Perhaps we can even get together sometime too, seems there are a lot more members of Expat-blog moving to the surrounding area lately and the city may finally even be able to attact a decent response for an invitation to an Expat-blog Meet-up.

Regarding learning Portuguese, you should start with my topic "LEARN OVER A THOUSAND PORTUGUESE WORDS IN A FEW MINUTES" which you'll find with a sticky at the top of the first forum page. It's loaded with all kinds of helpful information and tips.

Regarding schools, I know that Wizard offers Portuguese courses in other cities, so you might want to contact them here in Macaé to see if they have classes.

Wizard Escola de Idiomas
Rua Ver. Abreu Lima, Macaé - RJ, 27916-020
(22) 2762-5990

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team