Calling To U.S. From U.K.

Are there still "call centres" in the U.K. that allow you to call back to the states? And do stores still sell calling cards with minutes on them, so you can call on pay phones? Or are pay phones obsolete there?

There are still calling cards available to buy at shops. There are packages with landlines that enable you to call some countries for free.

Thank you SimCity. I was wondering about that. Since the popularity of cellular came along since my last visit, I wasn't sure that pay phones even exist. Can you still find payphones scattered about the city also?

Yes, they are still available and have deals with all carriers

Phone cards exist, but vary a lot.
Some are far better for some countries than others - it's a suck it and see thing.
You might well find yourself better off with skype and a subscription to US phones.

Thanks for the recent replies. HaHa "suck it and see".....I thought that was an Aussie phrase. Is it also associated with Brit sayings? I don't use Skype because not everyone has it and those that could, just don't care for the immediacy or consider it necessary so basically just wanted to be certain regarding buying a card to call home and easily check messages on my answering machine and call friends to give an update etc. Or if need be, talk business with a client I would communicate the rest of the way on email with.
Years ago, I could walk into a corner market and buy what was then called the "Millennium Card" for £40 or whatever price and go to a local "phone box" or typical London phone booth and dial back to America or Canada.....I recall the access code for the states was "001" and then the phone number etc. used in conjunction with the code on the card of course. So, that can still be done - right? This forum brings back some memories of my old euro travel days but always good to stay on top of things and ahead of the curve as things are always evolving........

Get yourself a Google Mail account and you can call US number completely free, you need a microphone and speakers

https://support.google.com/chat/answer/3379791?hl=en-GB

appreciate knowing this....free is good but cannot guarantee every call back to the states in that manner so best to stick with basically using a card, punching in required numbers using a public (pay) phone and go that route.,....just wanting to be certain there are ample pay phones available like years ago . . . . . or even those at call centres

Cartoonist wrote:

appreciate knowing this....free is good but cannot guarantee every call back to the states in that manner so best to stick with basically using a card, punching in required numbers using a public (pay) phone and go that route.,....just wanting to be certain there are ample pay phones available like years ago . . . . . or even those at call centres

No. This is google. This is guaranteed and free. There is no need to pay for calls. End of.

Skype also have a local number service.
I have a Sheffield telephone number with answering machine.
I believe the same is available in many countries.

You might well have guessed, I like skype's service.
That comes from trying many ways to make international calls, finding them reliable and far cheaper than most.
And.....they don't rip you of - something that can't be said of a good few of the phone cards.

Really handy - you only need a smartphone with internet.

thanks alot Fred! I appreciated all this info....I am probably going to use the basic route with the calling cards and the phone boxes or booths on street! Much appreciated....

Are you being serious? I've been calling the US for free for the past FIVE years, and you're gonna spend money in a dirty public phone box? Really?

ok, but to call a business contact in the U.S. using your method, what if they don't have Googgle, or skype? I am refering to verbal communications to a specific phone number - for instance an editor in NYC or LA etc....if they don't have Skype, or a family member not having Skype etc. ????

YES. READ WHAT I AM SAYING. SKYPE IS FOR SKYPE TO SKYPE, I AM TALKING OF +1 NUMBERS

+1 (123) (456) 7890

Not Skype usernames

You call CELL PHONES, from a PC, for FREE

(and landlines, toll frees, paid for hot lines)

Yes, I call +1 and +44 numbers from skype.
You buy calling credit to do this.
It's cheap and works very well.

Oh, and they can call my skype by using the Sheffield telphone number I keep.
This is a very cheap service from skype, and one I find really handy.

Added.
That local access mumber means I can recieve a UK landline call regardless of where I am.

It's way better than a grotty pee stinking telephone box.

Fred wrote:

This box begs to differ:

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2evrehj.jpg

Yes, your option is cheap, mine is FREE

XB23 wrote:
Fred wrote:

This box begs to differ:

[img align=C]http://oi58.tinypic.com/2evrehj.jpg[/url]

Cripes, they got all posh.
How are they when you make a call in winter?

420weblazeit wrote:

Get yourself a Google Mail account and you can call US number completely free, you need a microphone and speakers

You can make a call from your Gmail account from your Google Chat list or your email.

That seems to be only for computer to computer calls. As I haven't used it, perhaps you can clarify.

As for skype - between computers is also free, but you can buy credit or packages that allow computers (or smartphone) to call landline or mobiles anywhere in the world.

In the case of the OP where he wants a local US number with answerphone, they have such a service in the UK and other countries. Messages come directly to your device without the need to check.

Just use FaceTime or Skype or any of the voip alternatives.

Use Skype or better still FaceTime for free.

Go to planetnumbers.com you can then phone usa for 1 penny a minute,(landlines and mobiles.)

Fred, it is for Computer > +1 calls, not computer to computer

I have a global Skype plan for £24 per quarter which allows me to call 42 counties including mobiles in many countries, for free - as many calls as I like. The best option though is FaceTime. Google phone is another free option. I'm sure there are others. Paying 1p a minute is okay for an occasional short call, but for regular calls there are better options.

420weblazeit wrote:

Is it?

I use skype for international calls to land lines and mobiles all over the world, including the US of A.

You seem to be missing this - you can happily, reliably and cheaply call US phones from Skype.
I have done so many times, but most of my calls are to the UK, including my dear old mum who does not own a computer, and would have no clue how to use one.

It's easy.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/609/20029199303_89a1b3f188_z.jpg

You can also get a skype number.
That allows incoming callers to dial a US landline number, but the call goes to you wherever you are in the world.
I have a UK one that comes with a free answerphone that emails you when a message is left on it.

http://www.skype.com/en/features/online-number/

Call boxes and checking answerphones is so 1980s.

Fred wrote:
420weblazeit wrote:

Is it?

I use skype for international calls to land lines and mobiles all over the world, including the US of A.

You seem to be missing this - you can happily, reliably and cheaply call US phones from Skype.
I have done so many times, but most of my calls are to the UK, including my dear old mum who does not own a computer, and would have no clue how to use one.

It's easy.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/609/2002 … f188_z.jpg

How many times do I have to insist that Google works for FREE TO HOME PHONES?

"You seem to be missing this".

I know about Skype, I've used the beta version since 2005. I use it to call Lebanon. BUT FOR US LANDLINES YOU USE GOOGLE HANGOUTS for the love of God. I haven't missed anything.

I can *not* call US landlines, neither happily (because why would I pay for the calls if I can get them for free?), reliably (because Skype lags iPhones which may be the only thing you have on a trip to a remote location, and Hangouts takes 15 secs to load while Skype takes 5 minutes) and cheaply (because why the hell would I pay for anything that can be done for free?)

Seriously, moderators, actually read and listen to what is being said. I have experience in calling abroad as most of the time I am in some completely random remote location and need to contact people from perhaps nearly every country except Afghanistan, Cuba, North Korea or Iran, so I *think* I would know how and what works and how to do it cheaply.

Please refrain from adding further "alternatives" as "cheaper". This is free. Don't believe me? Try it

*EDIT: please add my response as the second response submitted because every other post fails to address the OP's question*

420weblazeit wrote:

link wrote:

Make a call using your Google Chat list

If you want to call anyone else, how do you do that?

I do the same for business several times a week to USA from my mobile to landlines. 99% with 100% clear call. On the occasion there's a quality issue just call back.

and Hangouts takes 15 secs to load while Skype takes 5 minutes

My computer must be super fast because my skype works as I boot up.
If you intend to post total rubbish, do it somewhere else.

However, I'm open to ideas.
Please let us know the procedure to call a hotel in New York.
This is their number.
Phone: (1)(212) 755-1200

I await new knowledge.

I too find Skypes loads quickly on my computer, but on my phone (iPhone 6+) it's almost instant (just checked - 3 seconds)

I am not the one posting rubbish. I was talking of an iPhone taking 5 minutes to boot Skype. Read the whole post.

Moderators on this site abuse their power. They don't know how to either handle being corrected, how to moderate nor how to even read sentences completely.

But... I stand uncorrected and as promised:

http://s23.postimg.org/vy75ovby3/Untitled.png

If you use Chrome, you will be told to download a plug in. You need nothing more than a Gmail account. And a microphone and headphones/speaker which I'm sure you have.

Click on the search icon as shown in part 1, enter the number as in part 2, click on the number as in part 3, and in part 4 the pop up on the left will disappear and another with the ongoing call will show up.

Really... do post your own rubbish elsewhere.

As for other countries (even though this can call any premium rate or Canadian number, tried Caribbean NANP numbers - doesn't work)... the name of the thread is calls from UK to US. Not other countries. And no one asked me for a permanent number that Skype offers (one that I have, from New Jersey, even though I never call the US, but use that to receive calls from Americans)

As I said, on my iPhone 6 Skype boots in 3 seconds. Have you the latest version of ios and the Skype mobile software?

rustygecko wrote:

As I said, on my iPhone 6 Skype boots in 3 seconds. Have you the latest version of ios and the Skype mobile software?

No, and no. Exactly why the Google alternative is better. I deleted Skype on my iPhone 4S, if I need to contact someone I have WhatsApp. No excuses for age. Great Grandma, 83, in Siberia manages to use WhatsApp and an iPad in English, I'm sure someone's parents could learn how to use Skype, but that's another topic. Using standard phone lines is obsolete considering businesses (at least in Asia, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan) ALL have WhatsApp, Skype, ICQ some still have MSN.

And how many background apps does your 6 have? If it's just phone, Safari and Skype, that's ok. I have 3 different navigation related apps, Chrome, YouTube, Whisper, WhatsApp, Viber, among other heavy apps, all running in parallel

420weblazeit wrote:

I am not the one posting rubbish. I was talking of an iPhone taking 5 minutes to boot Skype. Read the whole post.

Perhaps you should consider an Android phone. My Skype loads as the phone turns on, the whole process taking a few seconds. I suspect you're guilty of a terminological inexactitude. That or your phone has a problem.

420weblazeit wrote:

Moderators on this site abuse their power. They don't know how to either handle being corrected, how to moderate nor how to even read sentences completely.

Have any of your posts been altered in any way by a site moderator, any site moderator posted on this thread, or have you had any warning from site moderators?
If not, perhaps you shouldn't make stuff up.

420weblazeit wrote:

http://s23.postimg.org/vy75ovby3/Untitled.png

I downloaded and tested this, finding out you're almost right, but not quite.
Many numbers are free, but others are charged. The google site explains this and, even though the charge in minimal, it does limit the application as you can't call those numbers without credit.

As a note for global travellers, not just those limiting themselves to one country, the Google app also attempts to work with calls to other countries, but skype doesn't fail where this does, and skype doesn't keep asking you to send invites to your contacts, making it far less annoying.

Call "Jane home"
Crap from Google about sending a request
Accept or reject - upon reject, the call cuts off.
Accept the rubbish, and it tells you you're short of credit, so still can't make the call.

The app is badly thought out as a landline can't accept such a request, but it still insists on putting crap on the screen.

The app might well be handy for people within groups/circles, or most local US numbers, but it's limited and annoying.
I'll keep it on the phone as an alternative, but I don't see me using it much.

In short - It works to US numbers quite a lot, but can and does let you down.

This all evolved from a simple couple of questions (can I get a yes or no):

#1. Can I buy international calling cards at local convenience stores in UK?
#2. Can those same exact cards be used at pay hones in London and elsewhere?

thank you.

Fred wrote:

Have any of your posts been altered in any way by a site moderator, any site moderator posted on this thread, or have you had any warning from site moderators?
If not, perhaps you shouldn't make stuff up.

They have

420weblazeit wrote:

I downloaded and tested this, finding out you're almost right, but not quite.
Many numbers are free, but others are charged.

I did say that US numbers and Canadian ones would be free. I managed to prank a Gay sex hotline with some friends which would have been a paid-for 0845 number but we managed to call it for free via Google. However, when we needed to call a place on the USVIs, Google demanded money.

Fred wrote:

Crap from Google about sending a request
Accept or reject - upon reject, the call cuts off.
Accept the rubbish, and it tells you you're short of credit, so still can't make the call.

The app is badly thought out as a landline can't accept such a request, but it still insists on putting crap on the screen.

Not really. Same would happen on a T-Mobile phone. "You are out of minutes, press 1 to send a Call me Back text message". Haven't used a mobile phone in ages, wouldn't know.

Fred wrote:

The app might well be handy for people within groups/circles, or most local US numbers, but it's limited and annoying.

Wasn't the thread about calling a US number from the UK? Companies have email addresses, I'm sure person wanted to call just a local US number (relative/friend)

Fred wrote:

I'll keep it on the phone as an alternative, but I don't see me using it much.

In short - It works to US numbers quite a lot, but can and does let you down.

Cartoonist wrote:

This all evolved from a simple couple of questions (can I get a yes or no):

#1. Can I buy international calling cards at local convenience stores in UK?
#2. Can those same exact cards be used at pay hones in London and elsewhere?

thank you.

1 - Yes
2 - Yes

But there are better,cheaper ways to do it, and most are designed to call Asian/middle eastern countries, so tend to be poor value for the US and other destinations.
I used to buy them, finding they vary wildly as to how many minutes you get on each one.
You have to pay for the access number or, if it's an 0800, the minutes usually drop like a stone.

Try Chinese or Indian/Pakistani shops, not those run by white English people. That isn't racist in nature, just a fact.