Light Railway System

Hi All,
On my way to the airport last Saturday evening to return to the UK after a very pleasent holiday on the island, I heard on the car radio that the light rail project has finally been given the go-ahead. A deal with Singapore, I understand.
Anyone have the low-down on this, such as where the track will go? How many stations? Will all the work go to Singaporean engineers?
By the way, anyone familiar with my first blog may remember my question about yacht clubs in Mauritius. Well, just to keep you up to speed, I visited Grand Baie Yacht Club and was most impressed with the facilities and welcome. Difficult to find though, as it's tucked behind the back of the Royal Palm Hotel and not exactly well signposted.
Cheers for now.
Warmup

I was just talking about this last week with a friend of mine who is actively involved in the preliminary work with regards to setting up a Land Transportation Authority (LTA) in Mauritius similar to the one in Singapore, which he was involved with as well.  A light rail system would come under the responsibility of the LTA.

According to him, it is just talk at this stage and has not advanced any further than the "talk" that has been ongoing for many many years.  From what he has explained, there is not much buy in on the government side to move things forward in regards to properly establishing a LTA of which he and his colleagues have been hired to advise on and help set up. 

When I asked him about the likelihood of a light rail project that gets mentioned from various sources, including the Mauritian government, he laughed and said that he thinks there is zero chance of it happening any time soon and that he would be surprised if it ever actually happened.

I personally think it would be great if there were light rail on the island, but I do not see how it will get funded.  The current estimate for just putting it in between Port Louis and Curepipe will be at a cost of 10-15 billion rupees.  At that cost, it will have a very long pay back period even if they do introduce toll roads and other measures which have been talked about to finance the project as well.

Thanks for the reply Bunkoma.
I was just wondering if you'd read this article which would suggest that perhaps the project is further along than we think:
lexpress.mu/services/archivenews-16024-metro-leger-maurice-opte-pour-le-modele-en-service-a-singapour

It's a nice photo op, but no mention of where the estimated 10-15 BILLION rupees ($300-500 million USD) needed to fund the project will come from.  Until I read/hear something that actually says where the funds are going to come from to develop the project I will remain highly dubious. 

I do not believe that the government has the funds to finance the project and I can't see anyone wanting to invest in the project either given the long and uncertain payback period.

Light rail has been coming "soon" to Mauritius since the 1990's and has not really progressed from being more than a theoretical idea.  I do not see that changing anytime soon, though I hope I am wrong....

bunkoma wrote:

Light rail has been coming "soon" to Mauritius since the 1990's and has not really progressed from being more than a theoretical idea.  I do not see that changing anytime soon, though I hope I am wrong....

That's exactly what my colleagues told me at work when I said I was quite enthusiastic about this project :rolleyes:

Anyway, I still believe this project would change and improve a lot of things on the island!

Absolutely!
Having been stuck in that dreadful traffic just outside Port Louis bus station for an hour last week,something has to give on that front.  If not a light rail system, then anything: dedicated bus lanes, car pools, congestion charging.

This is like a never ending talk.

Never going to happen. Simple math equation.  GAS PROFITS + TRAFFIC JAMS = $$$MONEY FOR GOVERNMENT