Which language to learn

I am an electronics professional engineer. I am planning a long trip to South America in 2016. Since I was about 7 or 8 years old I was fascinated by Brazil. I will travel to Ecuador, Peru, Northern Chile/Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay and of course Brazil, Most of my time will be spent in Brazil (about 60% perhaps more). I have been inquiring on which language to learn and am getting mixed answers. Some say Spanish, some say English is good enough and some say Portuguese. I lean towards the last one.  Right now it is a four month trip. I may consider staying there for maybe a year or two. Here are my questions

1) Which language should I learn assuming I am just a visitor?
2) What are the requirements for a work Visa. I have two degrees and 20 years experience.

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u531/wjwoodward/BANNER_zps3602e73e.jpg

Hello exponent,

On behalf of everyone here at Expat-blog, and for me personally it is a great pleasure to welcome a fellow Vancouverite on board. I hope your participation here will be both enjoyable and informative.

If you're planning on spending the majority of your time in Brazil then the answer to your question is NEITHER of the two. You will need a firm grasp of PORTUGUESE to get along in this country. English is not widely spoken in Brazil, or anywhere in South America for that matter. While the other South American countries are Spanish speaking nations, Portuguese and Spanish are close enough that you would be able to make yourself understood in those countries if you spoke enough Portuguese. I am speaking from over 13 years of experience living in Brazil, and I can tell you that I will never regret having arrived here nearly fluent in the language. You will find that it is the single most important factor in successful adaptation to life in Brazil.

Regarding a VITEM-V Work Visa, not at all easy for an expat, since Brazilian laws require that any employer prove they've exhausted all efforts to place a qualified Brazilian in any job vacancy before they can hire a foreign national to fill it. You must have a confirmed job contract offered by a Brazilian company, and a clear criminal background. While you can look for employment while in Brazil on a VITUR Tourist Visa, it DOES NOT permit work. You can apply for the VITEM-V through the Ministry of Labor here, but in true fashion of Brazilian bureaucracy, if granted you would have to return to Canada to receive the visa at the Consulado-Geral do Brasil in Vancouver.

If there is anything else you need in terms of information or advice please don't hesitate to post a new topic with your questions.

Cheers, eh
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Thank you. Those were exactly the answers I was after. I dont know what your thoughts are on Rosetta Stone language learning but I was thinking of starting there and and then hanging around some of the Portugese community centers and clubs here in Vancouver. I also have your link to the "Learn Over a Thousand Words". Someone also suggested that once I get a better grasp of the language to watch Brazilian movies.

Bang on the money with your plans! In fact, when I learned Portuguese in Vancouver in 2001 before coming to Brazil I did a lot of home study with computer based language software, and became highly involved in the Portuguese and Brazilian community in Vancouver. I found that I learned so much more from the Brazilian and Portuguese people that I was hanging out with, because they all were so impressed with someone who wanted to learn THEIR language, and they immediately turned into a band of FREE teachers. I always got comments like, "Wow, that's great, but this is a better way to say that.... ". If you accept it in the manner in which it is offered, and don't take it as a criticism which it really is not, you learn more than any school will ever teach you. I arrived here in Brazil after about a total of 9 months of home study, 2 months of formal classes and 9 months of constant exposure to Brazilians fluent in Portuguese. You may even want to check if there are still any churches in Vancouver that have Portuguese language services. I know the one I attended in Fraserview doesn't anymore, but I'm sure there must still be a couple.

Also listen to Brazilian music on CDs and try singing the lyrics and write them down if possible, you won't catch all the words, but the more you listen, the more you get. Same with films on DVD, watch with audio in Portuguese and no subtitles the first time around, you'll get a good idea of what's being said just by the action. Then watch again with Portuguese audio and Portuguese subtitles, to help you understand what you missed. Watch a third and fourth time if possible, same thing Port/Port. NEVER USE ENGLISH SUBTITLES that will destroy all the hard work you've been doing.

Find Brazilian chat rooms on the internet, you'll not only have a lot of free help with the language, but you'll probably make all kinds of new friends here in Brazil even before you arrive. Just be selective and careful with friendships. Many Brazilians see us as rich, and easy marks, so be warned.

Cheers,
James

Rosette Stone is great.