I need some informations about Grenoble :)

Hello everyone,
My name is Vasiliki and I am coming from Greece.
I am thinking with my boyfriend to move in Grenoble less than one year. I need some informations about the living there. for example.. how easy is to find a house,how expensive is the life there, if they are pet friendly (we have a dog). I did my research already on google but I want also some informations from the people that they are already leaving there and have some experience.
I will go to Grenoble 30 of July till 20 of August and I don't know how easy is going to be only with english. I started already to learn french but I can not have a conversation with someone yet.
Thanks a lot in advance,
Kind regards,
Vasiliki

Hello Vasiliki,

I lived in Grenoble for three years. I left in 2013, and I shall return this October. I can tell you a few things based on my experiences there.

I don't know anything about houses. If you mean apartments, they are not difficult to find, generally speaking. Assuming you intend to cohabit with your boyfriend, I suppose you are looking for an apartment at least 40 square metres in size. Around the centre, such an apartment should cost at least 600 euros per month. Cheaper apartments may be found in other areas, particularly to the south, but unfortunately these places can be rather unpleasant. Avoid them if you can afford to do so.

As for your dog, this could greatly limit your choices. My advice would be to give it to someone you trust before you move.

Unfortunately you are visiting Grenoble at the wrong time. During August it is like a ghost town, and many businesses are closed. It can also be quite stuffy. Hopefully your accommodation will have air-conditioning!

Also, if you know anyone there, ask him/her for help when dealing with people, particularly landlords. Many Grenoblois do not speak English, or at least prefer not to.

Bon courage!

Gareth