Why we are living in Boquete.

We are a Dutch couple. My wife lived in Italy, the Tsjech Republic, 12 years with me in Saint Lucia (Caribbean) and I worked almost 14 years in Spain. So I am fluent in Spanish. Helps a lot to get things quickly done and at local prices. In Saint Lucia the economy went down the drain, with high unemployment and a lot of crime.
We were tired of the daily tropical heat. In October 2014 we went to Panama City, David and Boquete. We liked Boquete the most. Fantastic climate. Prices are affordable. We rented a 3 bedroom house in the lovely area of Santa Lucia, just a 7 minutes ride to the centre of town.We brought our 4 dogs from Saint Lucia via Trinidad to Tocumen. No problem as José Saenz of Golden Frog cleared the dogs within 30 minutes. He will instruct you clearly what paperwork you need. We enjoy it everyday, have local, American, Canadian, English; German and French friends. I highly recommend to learn Spanish before you come to Panama. Medical treatment at Chiriqui hospital is very good. Helen broke her little finger a nasty way, needed a pin and an operation under total anaesthetic. Price $ 1,250.-. A lot of Gringos kling together. Up to them. We found on Boquete Ning our car. Bought it from a young Britsh guy. A Lexus RX330 2005 at 12K. Very good condition. There are plenty second hand car dealers in David. Toyota, Hyundai and Nissan are the most popular and easy to service cars. F you buy a car from Value Motors or Cowboy Dave you might pay more. Any questions about drivers license rules,
immigration lawyer, learning Spanish, opening a bank account quickly. You are welcome.

Do you live in that corner house next to Donn and Andrea?
We live behind you!

John & Susan

thepazeras.wordpress.com

Hi John and Susan. I think we met at Baru. My wife Helen has short black hair and blue eyes. You mean Don is the tall American with a small brown dog and a cat. We also know the owners the Canadian couple Robert and Mona. The house after Tom and Jane.

As to our 4 dogs from Saint Lucia. Direct flight from St. Lucia to Trinidad was not possible as to the short transit time. Another option was to fly to Barbados. change plane to Trinidad to connect with Copa. Then  would have needed transit permits for Barbados as well as Trinidad. We chartered an old Cessna twin propeller C 402. with 2 pilots and one administrative helper. 4 seats removed for the dog kennels. Export licence, health certificates apostled from St. lucia for Panama. Vet arranged for transit permit in Trinidad. She was there when we arrived at the old intl. Trinidad airport, which is now for private flights, cargo and couriers like DHL. Dogs were treated well, put into the shade at the open door of the cargo shelter. Water etc. But it took over two hours to clear  them for transit with a local custom agent and the vet with the transit permit. Then 15 minutes with the car to the passenger other airport. We arrived at 8 p.m. at Tocumen. José cleared the dogs fast within 20 minutes. We brought them with José in 30 minutes to VIP kennel (Very important pets) at Cerro Azul. Very good. 8 days as we had to furnish our house at Santa Lucia. José brought the with his wife to Boquete.

Although they were born in the heat of the Caribbean, they like it far more here. No flees and ticks. Nasty local people shouting and throwing stones at them.Most of our "Colonial Cousins" do not like dogs or are afraid of them.

Robert & Helen Berding

I was looking at Boquete amongst some other locals....I did hear more recently that its getting difficult to find a place to rent long term...Is that true ?

knute wrote:

I was looking at Boquete amongst some other locals....I did hear more recently that its getting difficult to find a place to rent long term...Is that true ?

Stay tuned and be patient.  With the increasing crime against expats more places will become available for sale or rent or whatever. :|

Yes we did meet you at Baru.

We walk by your house every morning with our two dogs... a lab and a very red Golden retriever.

So very sorry to hear of your incident last week!

If we assist in any way please let us know.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.

We'll that's not exactly the positive news I was hoping for. Seems as time goes by, most places are starting out ideal and eventually end up just the same.....

Yes... it is out of control here. You may want to think of another country to go to.
Why not stay in the US with the low crime rate they have?
  :o

@Robert & Helen Berding , Hi my name is Tim I'm 58, married no kids hoping to visit Panama soon, looking for correspond as time permits, not a fan of heat, lived in Alaska for 15 yrs, I love so far boquete, if u have , my email is ***, thanks

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Tim,

Welcome on board !

This thread is from 2015, and the posters haven't been active since long.

Could you please create a new thread on the Panama forum so that active members may reach out ?

Perhaps you could start your new thread by a brief intro ...

All the very best,

Bhavna

Thanks Bhavna, do u live in Panama?