Tax

Here in Belgium we pay every month a certain amount of tax deducted directly from our wage.  At the end of the year we need to fill in our income and lots of other stuff and then we get from the tax office the news how much we still need to pay or how much we'll get back.  Most of the time we still need to pay.
How does it work in Malta.  Also pay every month and by the end of the year filling in the papers and wait for the reply of the tax office?

Yes

Hey George,

I've only just moved here recently- back home in the UK I never had to fill in any forms at the end of the year- is this applicable to everyone? Will they get sent to me via work or something or do we need to get these ourselves?

I'll jump in - they should send it to you in the early part of next year - I was sent one for 2009 even though I didn't start working until Jan 4th 2010...I still had to fill it in and return it, they said pul NIL in every box. It should be pretty straightforward for you though - it only gets complicated if you have deductions and/or other sources of income etc.

Tim

Hi my partner gets a housing allowance with his salary once a month but this gets taxed so he doesnt pick up all of it is there any kind of tax relief on this or anyway to claim it back as it isnt exactly salary

I believe treated the same as salary