Travel Ban... any experiences?

Hi all,

Was on my way to hong kong last month and passing through the airport really excited to go on my travels when i was stopped at passport control where i was told there was a problem with my passport. I was taken to a room where the local guy told me i had some outstanding fines, i was led to a room where the room was shut behind me and the door had no handle and the blinds were closed from the outside!!

30mins later the officer told me fast rent a cars had placed a travel ban against me for a fine to the sum of 400dhs and i had to accompany another officer to the station!!

Responding to the officer that my flight was in 40mins time and could i just pay the fine and be on my way he responded 'WHY ARE YOU CHANGING THE SUBJECT!! DO YOU WANT TO GO BACK IN THE ROOM!?' obviously i agreed to go with the officer where they confiscated my passport at the station until i settled the outstanding payment with fast rent a cars and received a release letter from them...

I spoke to fast rent a cars the following day (they dont work fridays) where i asked why was there any outstanding fines since i settled all payments upon returning the car 2 years ago! They responded sometimes it happens since salik charges do not register immediately! They had registered my mobile number incorrectly they could not reach me but i had registered my mobile number with the police through my driving license which fast rent a cars had a copy...

I have spoken to fast rent a cars and they refuse to reinburse any compensation and i have been told there is no way to find out if you have a travel ban prior to travelling. You only find out at passort control! 

How can companies have this kind of power to stop people from travelling even when the reasons are illegitimate?? Any one else experience this problem??

You are forgetting that the UAE is a dictatorship and a Police State where human rights don't figure very high on the agenda.

Such obviously civil cases as yours are often dealt with by the police of other state authority. It's all about who has control.