What most don't tell you

In the Philippines they don't let you own property.  If you buy a house here with your Filipino wife be sure to get a "long" lease signed at the time of the purchase.  Some Filipino girls marry, get a house and then look for greener pastures.  Get the lease to "not" read till your death, so you won't feel like you have a bounty on your head if they leave you.

Also, don't expect to get a senior citizen discount on drugs and things, as the senior citizen discount is only for Filipinos.

Want to buy building materials...have a Filipino buy them for you, or else expect to pay from 25% to 40% more due to your white skin.

The immigration offices are not overly friendly either.  You are often told incorrect information or not given the information you need.

Driving here is a nightmare.  Expect every rule to be broken.  U-turns in the middle of the block.  People pulling onto the highway without looking.  Getting parking tickets when they don't have a sign up.  You will be told someone took it down or they can't afford a sign.  Turning left out of the right lane.  Passing where there is not room, so you have to go to the shoulder to avoid head on collisions.  Passing at hill tops, so you have to slow down or leave the road to avoid head on collisions.

Men pull it out to pee anytime and any where they want...bridges, middle of the block, etc.etc.

Cleaning ladies come into the men's restrooms (comfort room) in the mall at will.

Positives...it is cheap to live here and it is a beautiful country.

I have experienced most of what you said here and There is a lot more negative to add to that list...It's a shame such a beautiful country has to be ran by a bunch of greedy corrupt minority which drives so many investors away never to return...That is why the country is destined to stay with its 3rd world status at the expense of the majority living in poverty...

Although foreigners cannot own land in the Philippines, they can purchase units in condominium buildings, so long as foreign ownership in a single project will not exceed 40 percent. If married to a Filipino, the foreigner can buy land provided the title will be in his or her spouse's name.

Want to buy building materials...have a Filipino buy them for you, or else expect to pay from 25% to 40% more due to your white skin. [ THIS IS NOT TRUE. TELL ME THE NAME OF THE HARDWARE, THE CONTACT NUMBER AND ADDRESS. I WILL CONTACT THE DEPARTMENT OF TRADE AND INDUSTRY FOR YOU AND WILL ASK THEM FOR INVESTIGATION AND CLOSURE OF THE ESTABLISHMENT..] Believe in the law and the right system...

Immigration offices are not friendly: EXACTLY! THEY ARE NOT. THEY ARE ORDERED TO BE LIKE THAT SO THE VISITORS WILL NOT MAKE FRIENDSHIP WITH THEM THAT WOULD LEAD TO BRIBING... WORK IS DIFFERENT FROM THEIR REAL BEING.

Driving is a nightmare... Yeah if you are a visitor, try to adopt the system of the place as Filipinos will easily adopt any system of the country they are visiting.. never think you are special because the truth... YOU ARE ALWAYS SPECIAL if you ARE A FOREIGNER IN THE PHILIPPINES AND PEOPLE LOVES YOU AND YOUR COLOR.

Men will pee anywhere.. well, It is not only happened here in the Philippines but in any other country as well. I experienced in Korea my American friends pee anywhere .. I told them It might not be allowed but they replied.. YOU ARE NOT A MAN IF YOU WILL NOT DO IT.. UNLESS YOU ARE A GAY THEN YOU WILL HIDE AND PEE IN A SECRET PLACE BECAUSE YOU NEED TO UNTIE THE ROPE TIED INSIDE YOUR THING... HMMMM.. Well, that's what my American Friends said.. and They even did it in USA... 

AW do not be scared of ladies.. cleaning in the men's rest room.. You want to show something? let them see.. they might got interested..

Sorry..I didnt quite understand...are we foreigners allowed to buy property?

preetk2001 wrote:

Sorry..I didnt quite understand...are we foreigners allowed to buy property?

Although foreigners cannot own land in the Philippines, they can purchase units in condominium buildings, so long as foreign ownership in a single project will not exceed 40 percent. If married to a Filipino, the foreigner can buy land provided the title will be in his or her spouse's name.

jazzrule wrote:

Positives...it is cheap to live here and it is a beautiful country.

I agree with just about everything else you have written, and I guess that most people here will know all this.

Not sure about the last bit though, unless you live like a local, or have a really good income.

I compared the following to my local shop in Australia (similar quality of product):

Milk 80 peso per litre ( $2.35 ) but $1.00 in Australia
Rice 48 peso per kg ( $1.41 ) but $2.00 in Australia
Eggs 35 peso per 12 ( $1.03 ) but $2.79 in Australia
Chicken Breast Fillet 194 peso per kg ( $5.71 ) but $8.99 in Australia
Ground Beef (Mince) 192 peso per kg ( $5.65 ) but $6.00 in Australia
Carrots 63 peso per kg ( $1.85 ) but $1.88 in Australia
Lettuce Iceberg 203 peso per kg ( $5.97 ) but $6.00 in Australia

I spend $250 per week for a condo the similar size and quality as one on the Gold coast that cost me $285 pw last November.

Only slightly cheaper overall.

I maintain a similar style lifestyle as I did in Australia, and I spend almost the same as I did there too.

It CAN be cheaper, if people choose to change their lifestyle.  I did for a while, and lived on half of what I now spend, but I chose to go back to my normal, more expensive, lifestyle.

prince_denison wrote:

[the foreigner can buy land provided the title will be in his or her spouse's name.

Re-word to:  The foreigner can PAY for the land, as a gift to his/her spouse and her family.

ABCDiamond wrote:
prince_denison wrote:

[the foreigner can buy land provided the title will be in his or her spouse's name.

Re-word to:  The foreigner can PAY for the land, as a gift to his/her spouse and her family.

OF COURSE ITS VERY LOGICAL AND ITS A UNIVERSAL PRACTICE. But the law in the Philippine until this time prohibits foreigner to own a "LAND". To make sense if you really want to own a land in the Philippines, then apply for Philippine Citizenship.. or do it fast by marrying locals then apply for dual citizenship (2nd is the Philippine Citizenship) and you would be entitle to own land as other locals. Look! Chinese businessmen are basically chinese but since they applied for Philippine citizenship then look at the big farms in the countryside owned by chinese.. and they called themselves as Chinese-Filipino

prince_denison wrote:

OF COURSE ITS VERY LOGICAL AND ITS A UNIVERSAL PRACTICE. But the law in the Philippine until this time prohibits foreigner to own a "LAND".

It is actually a pity that other countries do not do the same thing, and stop foreigners from buying up their land.

prince_denison wrote:

To make sense if you really want to own a land in the Philippines, then apply for Philippine Citizenship.. or do it fast by marrying locals then apply for dual citizenship (2nd is the Philippine Citizenship) and you would be entitle to own land as other locals

Getting Philippine Citizenship is not easy, even after getting married, and it takes 5 years of residence before you can apply.  You also need to renounce the citizenship that you have now.  You also need to learn the local language, and be able to speak English or Spanish.

prince_denison wrote:

Look! Chinese businessmen are basically chinese but since they applied for Philippine citizenship then look at the big farms in the countryside owned by chinese.. and they called themselves as Chinese-Filipino

As far as the Chinese go, between 18-27% of the Philippine population has Chinese Ancestry and are therefore Filipino/Chinese. They go back to arriving in the 16th century, but often maintaining Chinese ways and links.

prince_denison wrote:
ABCDiamond wrote:
prince_denison wrote:

OF COURSE ITS VERY LOGICAL AND ITS A UNIVERSAL PRACTICE. But the law in the Philippine until this time prohibits foreigner to own a "LAND". To make sense if you really want to own a land in the Philippines, then apply for Philippine Citizenship.. or do it fast by marrying locals then apply for dual citizenship (2nd is the Philippine Citizenship) and you would be entitle to own land as other locals. Look! Chinese businessmen are basically chinese but since they applied for Philippine citizenship then look at the big farms in the countryside owned by chinese.. and they called themselves as Chinese-Filipino

No way

vetretreat wrote:

No way

What do you mean?

I am a Filipino, and my husband is 100% percent correct. Just think of this, my husband came in to the hardware store and asked for the price of hollow blocks, the sales lady said its 19 pesos each. On the next day I came in with my stepfather and the price is only 12 pesos each, so how much do you think is the increase of their prices if your a foreigner?  That's just one example of what he experienced.
     And asked for the immigration, you probably not married to a Filipino that is why you said its not true that their not friendly. One of the staff at the Airport Immigration told my husband that she will going to black list him so he couldn't come back to the Philippines again just because he explain that we just got married the day before our flight to Singapore.
     Beside you probably just visit Luzon not in Central Visayas. My husband is living here for 5 years now, so what his sharing on this site are all true. That is why Philippines suffering on poverty because they take advantage of the foreigners. His sharing this for those who wants to come to the Philippines so they have a little idea of the country is like.

jazzrule wrote:

I am a Filipino, and my husband is 100% percent correct.
<...>
     Beside you probably just visit Luzon not in Central Visayas. My husband is living here for 5 years now, so what his sharing on this site are all true. That is why Philippines suffering on poverty because they take advantage of the foreigners. His sharing this for those who wants to come to the Philippines so they have a little idea of the country is like.

Your first post states "In the Philippines", but now you differentiate between Luzon and Central Visayas.

I've lived in Cebu and Manila, and the cost of living is similar in both.

What I have found is that many Filipinos prefer to be dependent Financially on someone else, rather than try for themselves. This may be on Foreigners or OFW's that provide for them, etc.

The way that many Filipinos do try to overcharge foreigners will be detrimental long term, but the average Filipino only seems to think short term. 
If a shop rips me off once, I will never go back to them.
One example. I used to buy smart loads almost daily, but one day they told me the 50 peso card was now 60 pesos. I went to SM where it was only 50. Filipinos were still paying 50 at the shop that wanted 60 from me.
i never bought there again, so they lost my business . That's 6 months of almost 50 pesos per day sales.  An honest shop got my business.

In one part of the Philippines I used to use trikes every day even for short trips, at 10-20 pesos each. Where I am now, they wanted 100 pesos.  I now choose to walk (99% of the time).  They keep asking me and the local ones have dropped their price for me, but I still walk.  They tried to rip me off, so they can now go without my custom.

prince_denison wrote:

To make sense if you really want to own a land in the Philippines, then apply for Philippine Citizenship.. or do it fast by marrying locals then apply for dual citizenship (2nd is the Philippine Citizenship) and you would be entitle to own land as other locals.

Not all countries offer dual citizenship. My husband is American, but he can't get Filipino citizenship unless he renounces his US citizenship.

I'm not american, but it seems that dual nationality isn't completely impossible for USA citizens: http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/dua … ality.html

Fabio Durante wrote:

I'm not american, but it seems that dual nationality isn't completely impossible for USA citizens: http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/dua … ality.html

Kawakita v. United States, 1952, 343 U.S. 717 appears to prove that renouncing US citizenship does not remove the obligations of a US Citizen according to US law.  This was however in 1952.

Also, a natural born Filipino CAN hold Dual Citizenship with other countries, as far as the Philippine Law is concerned.

Also, don't expect to get a senior citizen discount on drugs and things, as the senior citizen discount is only for Filipinos.

My mother's best friend is a senior US citizen and whenever we go to the mall or simply eat somewhere she uses her senior citizen ID to get discounts and she was allowed to be given the discount. I just don't know why you experienced this circumstance. I think you could complain that establishment to the proper authorities for depriving the privilege of having discounts.

Its my opinion that immigration takes advantage of ex pats with all there fees.I also find it intimidating that we have to pay and get an exit pass to leave the country after staying past 6 months. They don't respect the fact  that an ex pat spends a lot more than the average Filipino for daily living expenses. They did a study when i was living in the country of Mexico for 6 years. The study reported that one ex pat spent the equivalent of 40 Mexicans on daily living expenses. I am sure its a bit more here in the Philippines. I wish the mentality would change here that all ex pats are walking atm gold mines , when in fact i am sure most of us are living on decent pensions or government pensions. I still cant think of another English speaking country other than the Phil.  where i can live comfortably on about 1,200.00 US dollars per month. Plus the fact that a pack of smokes is so cheap and the lovely woman so plentiful.

MaroBautista wrote:

My mother's best friend is a senior US citizen and whenever we go to the mall or simply eat somewhere she uses her senior citizen ID to get discounts and she was allowed to be given the discount. I just don't know why you experienced this circumstance. I think you could complain that establishment to the proper authorities for depriving the privilege of having discounts.

Most companies that give this discount follow the Philippines law, Republic Act. No. 7432, which states:

"For purposes of this Act, these terms are defined as follows:
(a) "Senior citizen" or "elderly" shall mean any resident citizen of the Philippines at least sixty (60) years old;"

Therefore non Philippine citizens are not eligible.

I have a card to get the senior discount in Australia, but non Australians are not entitled to it, so it would seem to be something only for each countries own people.

scott1953 wrote:

I still cant think of another English speaking country other than the Phil.  where i can live comfortably on about 1,200.00 US dollars per month. Plus the fact that a pack of smokes is so cheap and the lovely woman so plentiful.

And that is why the government can charge us what they fell like, as they also know what you have just said.

I agree though, that Exit Clearance Certificate is a pain, and in many cases pointless.

The Tourist Visa cost comparisons? 

Visa to Philippines from USA 8,250 for 6 months
Visa to USA from Philippines 7,360 pesos for 6 months

Not much difference really...

Visa to UK from Philippines US$136 for 6 months (6,000 pesos)
Visa to Australia  $135 for 3 months (4,750 pesos)

Point  well taken ABC.

Who are they who "don't tell you"?

Moving here requires planning. Anyone who wants to move here should do research on which issues apply to him / her.  For example, if you're planning to marry, what legalities should you be aware of. If you're planning on driving, what are the rules of the road (this one you learn once you start driving here.)

About Filipino women looking for greener pastures, let's be real. We know why an older man would want a younger woman. But why would a young woman want to marry a much older man? Women who are married to such might say, "Because he's a good man, and he supports me and my family."  But  after a few years in the marriage, while they are still at the prime of their life and active, they realize that they would have to provide care to an inactive and possibly impotent and ill husband. What do you think they would do?

jazzrule wrote:

I am a Filipino, and my husband is 100% percent correct. Just think of this, my husband came in to the hardware store and asked for the price of hollow blocks, the sales lady said its 19 pesos each. On the next day I came in with my stepfather and the price is only 12 pesos each, so how much do you think is the increase of their prices if your a foreigner?  That's just one example of what he experienced.
     And asked for the immigration, you probably not married to a Filipino that is why you said its not true that their not friendly. One of the staff at the Airport Immigration told my husband that she will going to black list him so he couldn't come back to the Philippines again just because he explain that we just got married the day before our flight to Singapore.

then do not tolerate that type of incident.. Do not keep quiet because it could be your fault if you just quiet in the corner. When you will buy anything in a hardware, there is a corresponding receipt or proof. (Sales invoice or official receipt)   compare the 2 prices then lodge a complaint at the Department of Trade and Industry.. for violating the Fair Pricing Policy... check this site of DTI

http://www.dti.gov.ph/dti/index.php/ser … -consumershttp://www.dti12.org/fair-trade-laws/co … hilippines

BE A RESPONSIBLE CITIZEN OF THE COUNTRY.. DO YOUR PART TO TRANSFORM A COUNTRY.. DO NOT TOLERATE INJUSTICE.. DEMAND FOR JUSTICE OF YOU THINK YOU NEED IT...

well said, man ...

prince_denison wrote:
jazzrule wrote:

then do not tolerate that type of incident.. Do not keep quiet because it could be your fault if you just quiet in the corner. When you will buy anything in a hardware, there is a corresponding receipt or proof. (Sales invoice or official receipt)   compare the 2 prices then lodge a complaint at the Department of Trade and Industry.. for violating the Fair Pricing Policy... check this site of DTI

http://www.dti.gov.ph/dti/index.php/ser … -consumershttp://www.dti12.org/fair-trade-laws/co … hilippines

BE A RESPONSIBLE CITIZEN OF THE COUNTRY.. DO YOUR PART TO TRANSFORM A COUNTRY.. DO NOT TOLERATE INJUSTICE.. DEMAND FOR JUSTICE OF YOU THINK YOU NEED IT...

hahahahahahahahahahaha...Justice...hahahahahahhahahahhahhahah...for a Foreigner..hahahahahahahhahaha... I am on the floor...hahahahahahahahahah

silently smiling hahaha

I asked my mom about the citizenship of her best friend and she said that she has a dual citizenship. That is why she still gets discounts on her purchases.

In San Jose, Batangas I have never experienced price gouging at my hardware store. My hollow blocks are 9.5 pesos a piece and they are the solid ones. Not the kind that crumble in your hands when picked up.

Added to that are the taxi drivers who rip tourist off with impunity. I never knew that they were so many ways to get from Marco Polo hotel to Ayala mall , by the time the twist and turns confuses the heck out of you. The meter will vary by as much as 60-80 pesos. I had a driver who showed me the dial of his radio as payment for the cost of the trip. There is no recourse and those drivers are fully aware that the unsuspecting foreigner will pay and shrug it off. The irony is that most taxi cabs carry some type of religious icon: Mother Mary or a set of Rosary beads hanging from the rear view mirror etc. I suppose they do some form of penance after each trip. Its horrible!

Biletnikoff wrote:

Added to that are the taxi drivers who rip tourist off with impunity. I never knew that they were so many ways to get from Marco Polo hotel to Ayala mall , by the time the twist and turns confuses the heck out of you. The meter will vary by as much as 60-80 pesos. I had a driver who showed me the dial of his radio as payment for the cost of the trip. There is no recourse and those drivers are fully aware that the unsuspecting foreigner will pay and shrug it off. The irony is that most taxi cabs carry some type of religious icon: Mother Mary or a set of Rosary beads hanging from the rear view mirror etc. I suppose they do some form of penance after each trip. Its horrible!

Fortunately they are not all like that :)

I've been in Manila for the last few days, and been getting a few taxis.  Today was my first bad one.  The meter was reading 131 when I got in, and he didn't reset it.  I asked him to check it and he did rest it, but complained that he was only a taxi driver and had a family to feed.

I've normally paid 140 for the trip, as it is almost always 110, and the other drivers have been totally OK, so gave a 30 pesos tip.  I gave this one only 120. I reduced my tip by 20 pesos for his complaining

I've had other bad ones in Cebu and other places, but I tend to get more good ones that bad.

Having said that though, I think taxi drivers tend to take advantage of tourists in all countries.

When I find I need to travel to Manila, I print a map and tell the driver I live in the NCR but seldom visit Manila due to scams and broken taxi meters… but I do remember the way.  With this info, they often change the tone and I avoid the scam.

Always have an idea of where you need to go in the PI.

i woold love dual citicenship,we are maried almost one yr now can i alredy aply for dual citysenship or do i have first to aply for resident visa ?how long do i have to live here before i can aply ?
these and manny other questions on this subject are puzzeling me .
can any one here give me some info on this please ?
advanced thanks for al info .
greets ,Dirk

ps :please excuse my bad spelling ,i never had the opportunity to learn english in scool

dirk c wrote:

i woold love dual citicenship,we are maried almost one yr now can i alredy aply for dual citysenship or do i have first to aply for resident visa ?how long do i have to live here …….

Dirk,

There are only 3 bases in Philippine nationality law:

By Birth
By Blood
By Naturalization

Unless you have a mom/dad that are born here as filipinos (i.e., A natural-born parent citizen would make you by blood), dual citizenship under RA 9225 (CITIZENSHIP RETENTION AND RE-ACQUISITION ACT OF 2003) is not possible for foreigners.   What is left for you is the "Naturalization" path.  If a person is a foreigner who was raised here and is under 18, they can apply under RA 9139.  Once the foreigner is here at the age of 21+ they must go through Naturalization.

There is a 10 year resident requirement for single persons and 5 years residential requirement for a person married to a filipino.  In either case, the foreigner must take an oath and renounce their citizenship and leave their former nationality.  This is not a requirement as a dual citizen!!!

Summary of requirements include:
"- He must not be less than 21 years of age on the day of the hearing of the petition;
- He must have resided in the Philippines for a continuous period of not less than 10 years;
- He must be of good moral character and believes in the principles underlying the Philippine Constitution, and must have conducted himself in a proper and irreproachable manner during the entire period of his residence in the Philippines in his relation with the constituted government as well as with the community in which he is living;
- He must own real estate in the Philippines worth not less than P5,000, Philippine currency, or must have some known lucrative trade, profession, or lawful occupation;
- He must be able to speak or write English or Spanish or anyone of the principal languages;
- He must have enrolled his minor children of school age in any of the public or private schools recognized by the Bureau of Public Schools of the Philippines where Philippine history, government and civics are taught or prescribed as part of the school curriculum, during the entire period of the residence in the Philippines required of him prior to the hearing of the petition for naturalization as Philippine citizen;”

Since your bio shows you are a Belgium citizen, you may want to visit:  http://diplomatie.belgium.be/canada/

Biletnikoff wrote:

I'm a well travelled local but anywhere in MANILA I feel safer getting a ride via GRAB TAXI ~ there's even a tab there where you can get a private car so cheap with a PERMANENTLY SET price - safer and much more affordable and so much like "uber".

Download: GRAB TAXI :)

That's  the same as rural America in the 40s 50s and 60s, lol

Dual Citizenship is not on offer for foreigners in the Philippines. It is only for Filipinos who gain overseas Citizenship.
They then renounce their Philippine Citizenship and take the new one and if they want dual citizenship they need to reapply for Philippine Citizenship

Foreigner with Filipino wife or husband has to live for 5 years in the Philippines continuously to be eligible for Citizenship and if not married must live for 10 years before they can apply for Citizenship

Looks like I will never get Philippino residency.

GoDees wrote:

Citizenship or Residency? 

There is a difference of course.

pej1111 wrote:
GoDees wrote:

Citizenship or Residency? 

There is a difference of course.

I miss out on "the good moral character" clause.
regards  Bruce