Running An Internet Business From Malaysia

Hi,

I'm interested to know if anyone has any experience of running a home based online business from Malaysia and if so how they handled work visas etc.

Many thanks :)

You can get immigration if you set up a corporate structure in Malaysia or get a job  with a local company. Those are the only two ways to get employment passes.

http://malaysiabizadvisory.com/malaysia … oreigners/

As you can there are paid-up capital requirements when setting up local companies

http://malaysiabizadvisory.com/major-pr … d-company/

If you don't trade in Malaysian Ringgit but other currencies, you can open a Labuan-based company (offshore).

http://www.hasil.gov.my/pdf/pdfam/GUIDE … MMERCE.pdf

Taxation for online businesses is based in the Malaysian system on where the server is located. You still have to register for GST and pay tax on the goods/services sold to people living in Malaysia.

misssoffy wrote:

Hi,

I'm interested to know if anyone has any experience of running a home based online business from Malaysia and if so how they handled work visas etc.

Many people have that experience and that doesnt mean that the visa requirements would not be otherwise met. First of all, Malaysia technically doesnt permit home businesses of any kind. You are expected to be at the business premises listed on your company registration and you are subject to inspection at any time. So just technically speaking, the only way you can run a net business from home is to be a low-lying tourist, subject to going out every 90 days until they cut you off.  Or you can marry and quietly work at home under your spouse visa. If you were thinking if there was a special visa for a case like yours the answer is no.

And having said that, I suspect there are tens of thousands of people, locals and expats alike, doing this from home. Instagram and Facebook are flooded with online businesses, none of which even have a actual company, just the product and a cell phone number. Do the expats have a registered company? Possible but doubtful. Do they hit snags in their business when they have to do a visa run every 30 or 90 days and lose business for a week or two? Definitely.

Did that answer you completely?

The Labuan company set up is perfect for a legal online business with no need to duck and weave with immigration.

misssoffy wrote:

Hi,

Oh i forgot, thats a good question......what is your plan, to sell from Malaysia or to Malaysians? Its easier to answer if I know what you want to do exactly. "Online business" has many forms and definitions.

Hi thanks for all replies,

I'd be selling services to international customers mainly,  so essentially bringing in foreign money & spending it, it's a location independent business I just happen to be based in Malaysia right now, don't plan to stay here long term maybe another year/year and a half. I'm British.

Thanks again :)

Labuan company is perfect as you can defray your local expenses in Ringgit Malaysia and get bank account and work permits easily. You can also put your living expenses through the company. If you decide to do this I have some tips.

misssoffy wrote:

Hi thanks for all replies,

I'd be selling services to international customers mainly,  so essentially bringing in foreign money & spending it, it's a location independent business I just happen to be based in Malaysia right now, don't plan to stay here long term maybe another year/year and a half. I'm British.

Thanks again :)

Ok then my first post can stand. No need to set up anything, work on a tourist visa and blow out when ready.

You will get 2 entries e.g. 6 months and then you will  almost certainly have problems with immigration at the airport and borders.

Great thanks :)