New members of the Costa Rica forum, introduce yourself here – 3rd quarter of 2015

Hi all,

Newbie on the Costa Rica forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Costa Rica if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

P.S : The thread New members of the Costa Rica forum, introduce yourself here – 2nd quarter of 2015 continues below!

Judy and Burton, now Arizona, USA

Looking to move in about 9 years, when my husband is released from prison.  He is the quintessential entrepreneur . . . And social justice activist.  I am disabled and don't get out much.

We are looking to retire early and there is no way in the U.S.   Currently, we have been researching Costa Rica, Equador, St. Croix, Nicaragua extra.......
Our children are grown but we will be briniging our 4 legged babies. I am an RN and my husband is a Pilot. Would there be any jobs to do part time?

Regina

Until you are a Permanent resident you can't legally work, even part time. This can take approx 5 years from your initial application. As an RN you will have to be re-certified, in Spanish, when the time comes. You could both look to work on-line but would still need residency. The neighboring countries have similar rules.

hello I am a surgical trained podiatrist from the u.s that is going to costa rica in oct to visit an attorney to work on my citizenship and license to practice I am bring official transcripts,passport police record clearance,degree certificates is there any thing else I have to do before getting a license

Unless you have omitted important information regarding your present Residency status, I wouldn't rely on being able to get citizenship for at least 7 years. You are required to have Permanent resident status before you can legally work or a medical license is applied for, and you will, I expect, have to be re-certified in Spanish

Muliiple Residency Categories at a glance

You can open your own office, manage it although you could not  perform any physical work.

It can take over a year to gain even temporary residency....and 4 years after that is granted, Permanent residency.

Buying a home in Puerto Viejo - Limon and semi-retiring here growing our own organic food and living off the grid as much as possible.

My name is Ruth, I am retired and unmarried, and have a strong interest in moving to Costa Rica.
I have begun to gather the necessary documents to move there on a pensionado visa.  My dog, too.
My house is listed for sale, and I am trying to figure out what the report from the police is about.
Obviously to see if I have a criminal background, but is it just local, or state, or Federal.
I currently live in Southern California where it is overwhelmingly hot this year. 
If anyone has any suggestions for me, please feel free to put them out there.
Thank you

Hi Ruth;
I hope you will find this link useful.  We came from Canada so it was different.
Cheers .... Terry

Buying a small villa on Tambor beach, Nicoya peninsula.planning to apply for Rentista status.how much it costs for Cara insurance.can I get away without the health insurance & just pay cash if I need medical care? I will be spending 4 months every year in Costa Rica.
Suvarna

The last step before achieving your residency is registering for CAJA.  It is mandatory.

Have you been to the Tambor region of Costa Rica before making the decision to purchase property here? It is strongly suggested that you do so. Some of the websites promoting this area is seriously 'out of date' in regards to the cost of living there.

If the principal applicant for Rentista status is under 55, they could end up paying CAJA (the socialized medical system) US$442 per month for a service they probably won't use. If over 55, it will be approx US$220 per month.

Please note that it is two (2) deposits of $60K, two years apart for the Rentista Application.

Why apply for residency at this point in time if you only intend staying 4 months per year?

Thanks. We have paid 10% deposit to Los Delphine's resort which is refundable once we visit it & decide that it is not the right place for us.The resort has been there for many years.The Canadian company works with Barcelo family,one of the richest & reputable family.I do agree with you about no need for applying for residency unless & until we decide to stay longer or permanently.Thanks again for your help.In fact I just realized that I don't have my birth certificate.I was born in a small village in India in 1958 & I have lost my birth certificate & to get it will be much harder than all the other paperwork needed to apply for residency.

It is a nice area...for a short vacation, but to live there year round, for me it is to remote. I remember reading '...in the dry season, the dust is unavoidable, and in the rainy season, the road is a muddy soufflé'. :cool:

But enjoy your visit.

I'll add my two colones worth.  We did the BIG tour of Costa Rica and then returned to places we liked or thought we liked.  Only you can decide if that is what you are looking for but PLEASE do not decide before you get here.  We thought we wanted to be near the ocean with views and here we are in the mountains ........ after numerous visits.

Thanks.We have visited Costa Rica twice in last 3 yrs. only for a wk. each time .This November we r spending 3 days in Tambor beach & vicinity to get the real feel & 3 days in Escazu/santa Ana.Have not made a final decision yet. I hear weather is perfect in the valley.

In all honesty you are spending six days when I think you should be spending six months.  I wish you the best Rajen and if you do not heed the advice here and find your niche you will be an all star. Best of luck!

Thanks.We will wait to buy any property until we have more time to spend there which will be 2-3 yrs. when I retire at age 60.I was thinking about renting the lace in Tambor until I retire but that does not seem like a good idea.

Although you have made you choice to wait, I wanted to add this: as a tourist entering Costa Rica the maximum time allowed is 90 days, so you would be 'required' by immigration before leaving the airport, to change your return date, so make sure to purchase an open ended/refundable ticket that you can rebook later on. This time period also relates to validity of your home driving license, if you want to drive while here, so you will have to exit Costa Rica to renew your tourist visa and remain legal.

Hello everyone,

Just to remind you that this topic is for the introduction on new members. ;) Please do not hesitate to start new topics on the Costa Rica forum.

Thank you.

Thank you so much.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=529735

Thanks!

Closed