Job offer.. need some advice

Hello all,

I have two job offers in hand, one in Qatar for QAR 17000 (all inclusive) and the other one is in Bahrain with a package of BHD 1600 (all inclusive).

I need to decide upon which one to go for, and need some advice. Here are my specific questions -

1. Which one is better, both location wise, as well as salary wise.

2. Is 17000 QAR good for family life. I am married and have one 5 years old daughter.  We are Indians, and  have an average Indian lifestyle.

Thanks!

Perhaps this will help -

britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669308

Thanks Globalseek. This was useful - sounds like that Baharain got no restriction on Exits, which is good I guess. But one of the comments said that Bahrainis are friendly (mostly), so is it not the case with Qataris? I heard a few things about Kuwait, but nothing too specific about friendliness of Qataris in general.

Also, any tip on salary / cost of living, and which one looks better. Thanks

Perhaps, following cost of living index will give you some idea - xpatulator.com/outside.cfm?page=Locations

Following is meant for the US citizens, issued from the US State Department, but obviously, it's true for other foreigners as well. You have to replace "US Embassy" with "Indian Embassy" everywhere and of course, you know that the Indian Embassy may not be as efficient and prompt as the US Embassy - travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1765.html

As for the "friendliness," please know that if you are a non-Muslim, non-White person, you will not be treated with respect by the Arabs anywhere in West Asia. This degree of disrespect varies from country to country and it seems the above statement was made in that context. Since Qatar is attached to Saudi Arabia, it may be more conservative than Bahrain, which is an island. 

It will be a good idea to find Indian expats in Bahrain/Qatar and be in touch with them. So, you need to search for Indians in Bahrain/Qatar and talk to them. There may be blogs by them on this site and on other expat sites which you can explore. You may even try Facebook to look for them.

I presume you already know that employers in the Arab countries are notorious for illegally seizing the passports of the employees which makes it difficult for the employees to leave when they want. It also keeps them tied to one company and often they work on a lower salary than what they were promised in the beginning. you need to ensure that his doesn't happen to you.

If you search in Google, you may find more information. You can consider visiting the Embassy websites of these countries.

Thanks Globalseek. Both links are quite useful. :)

The discrimination bit - about non-white and non-muslim is :(

I am alo hoping to hear from someone who has personally spent time in both / either countries, and willing to share his / her experience.

Hi, my name is  khadidja  Iam doctor and I want to continu my studies in QATAR I would like to meet some new friends here in Qatar.

Hello everyone :)

@ espoirsav - You are completely off topic in this discussion. And can you kindly avoid copy-paste messages in the different discussion of Qatar else we will be obliged to moderate!

Regards, have a nice day :)