Safety in the Philippines

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in the Philippines?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in the Philippines and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Some parts of the Philippines appear very safe, comparative speaking.

I've been ripped off by trike drivers taking advantage financially, etc
I've lost 2 mobile phones and 1 tablet from pickpockets here, but still feel safe walking in the street late at night.

If I am in Manila I am always reminded by the taxi drivers about safety, when they lean over and lock my door after getting in...

Social Problems ?  With the level of poverty almost everyone wants their share of the foreigners money.
It could be direct begging on the street, being overcharged when possible, to direct pickpockets etc.
Then all the way up to the family of friends needing their share of what you have.

But once you accept all this, it isn't too bad...

I've never been physically attacked in the two plus years I have been here, and most people are nice to your face.  But what they say otherwise is sometimes best not known.  Or ignored if you do happen to know... ;)  No point in causing trouble.

I agree totally with ABC assessment of safety here in the Philippines. As long as you mind your own business, do not express yourself vocally, stay out of local protests ect. You will do fine, you must not forget this is their country not yours, leave them alone.

madhatter868 wrote:

I agree totally with ABC assessment of safety here in the Philippines. As long as you mind your own business, do not express yourself vocally, stay out of local protests ect. You will do fine, you must not forget this is their country not yours, leave them alone.

Agreed, plus it has been to my advantage to NOT speak or understand the local language (Tagalog or Ilocano) in many situations it is better to not be part of some conversations.  The old ignorance is bliss.  If I must know something, I will be told in English, otherwise I can ignore, my wife can fill me in later if required.  I found that always being happy , smiling a lot and not complaining about third world problems makes me more acceptable to the locals.

It's difficult to describe the level of safety in the Philippines since it is an all-encompassing issue.

But on the question of do I feel safe personally, the answer is yes.  I live in a gated community where there are guards at the gate and also roving guards.  I do know that my house is earthquake resistant since I was the one who oversaw the construction and materials used.  I live in an area where it doesn't get flooded. I am well stocked with supplies in case there is an emergency. We do drive safely, and the vehicular accidents we've been involved in are fender benders. (We can't drive fast here in the city anyways, as there's so much traffic.) I can get quality healthcare from the best hospitals here.

My kids go to good schools where they don't get bullied, and where the likelihood of getting killed a la Columbine shooting style is nil. I don't worry as much, compared to when I was in America, that the kids would be abducted by a pedophile.

Both here and in America, I always am cautious (or at least do my best at it) when walking in the streets at any time. I had been pick pocketed on a bus and assaulted and battered during a bright and sunny afternoon at a street in San Francisco, California, a place considered safer than Manila. So far, that hasn't happened to me here in the Philippines. My husband, on the other hand, had been pick pocketed twice here. We know very well why we got robbed: we let our guard down. Crimes can happen to us at any place in the world if we do not pay attention.

Staying safe here will depend on our lifestyle and choices. Me, I do not go out at night, drinking with or trusting strangers. I have no enemies and try to avoid making ones (which one could make when he / she insults or disrespects a local or is just plain arrogant). I avoid depressed areas or slums or dark alleys, or going to areas not familiar, unless I have a companion who is familiar with the place, with me. I don't carry around large amounts of cash or stupidly flash money. I change my route every now and then. What I'm saying is, if you don't want to get in trouble, do not ask for it.

Natural calamities, such as earthquakes and severe storms, happen anywhere in the world in different forms. We should always be prepared wherever we are in order to keep safe.

If you had been robbed of your money or possessions, remember that they're just things. Just let it go, move forward, and learn from the experience.

I live in a gated community where there are guards at the gate and also roving guards.  -does this mean th area you live is dangerous  or just that you can afford to have these things

greenetravel wrote:

I live in a gated community where there are guards at the gate and also roving guards.  -does this mean th area you live is dangerous  or just that you can afford to have these things

My condominium has about 4 or 5 guards around at various times, but the area is pretty crime free. The condo association arranges them.

One thing about the Philippines is the substantial number of armed security guards everywhere, hotels, supermarkets, doctors, Chowking, Jollibee, Macdonalds, etc etc. They open doors for people etc as well as give an appearance of security.

Their wages are so low (250 pesos per day) that anyone can afford one, so they do, and crime is maybe so much lower because of this.

ABCDiamond wrote:
greenetravel wrote:

My condominium has about 4 or 5 guards around at various times, but the area is pretty crime free. The condo association arranges them.

One thing about the Philippines is the substantial number of armed security guards everywhere, hotels, supermarkets, doctors, Chowking, Jollibee, Macdonalds, etc etc. They open doors for people etc as well as give an appearance of security.

Their wages are so low (250 pesos per day) that anyone can afford one, so they do, and crime is maybe so much lower because of this.

Last bank robbery I read about in the Philippines, the first thing the bandits did was shoot the armed guard.  But I agree, it does give an air of security.

greenetravel wrote:

Property prices in subdivisions like where I reside is not cheap. The added security came with the package. The guards are paid for by the homeowners' association. Still, the area I live in is pretty safe. We are far from squatters or crowded low-income areas.

The thing is, if you can afford an extra level of security, why not get one if it makes you feel better or sleep better. Even in the US, home owners who can afford it hire security systems companies, such as ADT, though they live in already secure communities. Here in the Philippines, I opted to invest my money for a house and lot in this gated subdivision because it does make me feel more secure and sleep better.

mugtech wrote:

Last bank robbery I read about in the Philippines, the first thing the bandits did was shoot the armed guard.  But I agree, it does give an air of security.

You should see the bank in Makati at the corner of Makati Ave and Durban Street.  While I stayed near there for a few months, I would see about 10 or 12 armed guards when the Armoured vans were delivering.  Never heard of an attack on them :)   Most Banks I visit have at least one outside, and another one or two inside.

I just googled to find details of the one you mentioned.  I saw a number of recent armed bank robberies in Australia and US, but did see one in Koronadal City, Philippines, last September, where Two security guards were killed.

Either the Philippine news does not show reports on bank robberies, or US and Aus have more of them than the Philippines.  They definitely report more.

Depends on my location and who I am with. I usually feel safe during the day in populated areas or in my subdivision. I am reluctant to be alone after dark in suburbs but with flipinos as company it's ok . Probably the same in any country. I have been here 6 years my business has been robbed twice both in the early hours of the morning and involved break and enter ,damage to property but not life threatening . Police attend both scences and were helpful. I am extremely aware of security in my home and business ( guard ,shutter doors ,bar etc )
Harry

i feel safe o not that depend where i am and with who i am, but this not just in philippines also some other country. i saw almost 28 country and i think in all country if you show cash then someone nearby you will plan take that from you. then if you can it is better at night stay at home with family if you have one then go around specialy alone.

I'm a realist. I came here because this place is listed as one of the safest countries in the world. I live in a very large metro area and was shocked one night at 2am I was walking because I ran out of gas.  I'm walking along a dim lit street and a young lady was walking towards me. She didn't cross the street to avoid me. She possesed no fear of me at all. I spoke and she spoke back. I then asked her where I could get gas for my motor and she said wait sir and called her brother to bring me gas. That would never happen in the US...I'm 6'2 and very large by their standard yet they are very approachable. I later learned that at night the young people are nicknamed vampires because they work the call centers and that means working US time zone s...there is crime but its specific to locations. Bar areas in major cities. Ours is on the outskirts of city proper. A city like Manila or Manhattan has the same crime as any major city such as LA or Chicago. So to ask about crime in those places makes a person wonder what rock you crawled from under... LOL

By and large safety is great here. Petty crime is notorious as mentioned by ABC...I call it crime of opportunity. If you show cash someone will want it. Break ins are something to worry about. Most happen where there are security guards because of their low salary they can be paid as look out guys. A nice neighborhood where the people accept you will get you the best security. Neighbors don't like bad guys either.

Try to carry cash you need. Never talk about money. Enjoy your stay.

If you are a well to do western man you will face attempts to humiliate you.  The dentist will cut your gums.  Taxi drivers will swerve to intimidate you then over charge you.  My 17 yr old daughter was taken a mile away from our home where the driver demanded all her cash.  She ran away and made it back to the house.  Davao is not as "safe" as people say. 
Philippine men are small time idiots with a chip on their shoulder.  Philippine men are social misfits.

Davao sounds bad.  Worse than anything I have experienced so far here.

I am going to the dentist soon, but our local one is really good, and cheap too, so I feel safe :)

To answer your question directly, I feel very safe in Cagayan de oro, have had no problem with thieves or being taken advantage of, feel the crime rate may be somewhat higher than reported, no social problems aware of and have had no security problems at my home.
That said and to qualify my answers, I try to keep a rather low profile. As in any place I live, I do not take risk in where I go and try to be pleasant and make friends with all I meet. I have been asked by my wife to loan money and have always been re-paid. Things I don't like, like driving, I have learned to accept and don't get bothered if some kids call me "hey Joe". All in all, I would want to live no place else.
After being here 2 years, a friend told me he had been here 25 years and found Filipinos to be peaceful, good people. In my 13 years here I have found that to be true.
Brad
hughes3864.com

Safety is an issue I have not been overly concerned with in the Philippines. I have lived here for 9 years in various places. For the past five years I have lived in Bohol. I feel safe day and night. However, the Philippines is like any other place, every place has safe and non safe areas.

**We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in the Philippines?**
Yes.
**How would you define the level of safety in the country?**
Overall pretty good.
**Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?**
I can and do.
**Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?**
These are very different questions to me, and would need to be addressed separately, with caveats. First I will answer the last question.
**Share with us your insight on safety in the Philippines and in the city you live in. **

Firstly, I've been here less than six months so take that into account. I live in the Santa Ana section of Manila just off of Pedro Gil, quite urbanized and very few (if any) foreigners that I've seen. I rent a Filipino style apartment complete with cold shower and outdoor cooking situation. I spent a few weeks in Roxas City, Capiz with friends and all the kids all called out 'Hey Joe.' There only a few times I've heard that here in Manila (and not from kids) and the street kids usually just put their hands out for money instead. Nobody sleeps on the street in my neighborhood and there are cctv cameras scattered around.

I've lived in Panama, Costa Rica and all over the US, a good part of that either living or working in urban areas. Out of all of these places the Philippines is the friendliest right from the start. (Except for Texas, which @sirrobcentral reminded me of with his gas story.) The least inviting place was San Jose, Costa Rica (the 'Switzerland' of Central America), and I say this having spent my youth visiting and working in NYC in the seventies.

I've not been here during a social 'crisis' so I've not experienced any tensions. As far as petty crime it seems pretty normal. Costa Rica was worst.

I think behavior is key. If you telegraph wealth, fear or obtuseness you will attract a certain element. This element is everywhere. I am almost reluctant to say this- as the moment I do I'll wind up getting mugged- but I 'feel' the Philippines is one of the safest places I've lived. I exclude, of course the southern areas not exactly under government control, but Luzon and the Visayas seem very safe and friendly.

And yes, avoid politics if you can and be glad you can't understand the language until you build up some skin thickness.

I also have lived in Cagayan de oro for the better part of 2 years and never had a issue with crime personally. I did see an armed gang rob the jewelry store at the   SM mall one afternoon. They disarmed the guards in just a few minutes and created a stampede inside the mall. I was grocery shopping inside the mall and dropped my basket and headed for the door with my girlfriend in tow as i saw all the mall customers screaming they have guns and were also trying to exit the mall. It was so surreal! Cops showed up about 30 minutes  later but crooks were probably 50 miles away by then. If you  notice, a lot of security guards have crumpled news paper in there holsters, not guns, especially mall guards. I am  always aware  of my surroundings,dont flash the cash or jewelry. and try and blend in. I like the nite life here, and never have had a problem at nite. I walk where its well lite, stay away from the sleazy massage parlors, and cross the street when i see hookers gathered on the corners.  I never leave valuables laying around my home weather i am home or not. I feel 100% safe living here, and i find the people most friendly and helpful.

The Philippines is 3rd world s0 care must be taken

Your house need to be secure with bars on assessable windows , deadlocks and bolts on the doors and an alarm system
You need to keep a minimum of cash out of the bank
Not wear high cost watches or jewelry
Keep your wallet in your front pocket with your hand on it in crowd - if you can't avoid them\
Keep your car doors locked and windows closed at all times and park in sensible places

The above will help prevent you being robbed - it's harder to prevent being ripped off as Filipinos think it is their right to rip off foreigners

With constant care the Philippines is relatively safe - but be very cautious

Generally speaking I feel very safe in the Philippines (Cebu). It is not as safe as Australia, but there are places there that I would not venture also.
Best advice is simply to keep a low profile. My gf has had her bag snatched while with me but we were walking along a road at night and the area was known for its scum element so I guess we asked for it.
We live in a gated community with "competent", honest security 24/7. Apartment is secure and all residents are always watching out for eachother. People here work all types of shifts so always somebody awake and watching. If you are happy with your neighbours is good idea to set up a "neighbourhood watch" erect a sign or 2 stating such and the scum know they will be monitored so go elsewhere for easier pickings.
The majority of filapinas I have met are happy, good hearted people that I am happy to call friends. We should not label the country according to the minority. Unfortunately this minority exists and is allowed to exit at all levels of society. When the so called leaders get serious about crime and corruption the majority of people here will have good reason to exhibit "pinoy pride".

I have been in the Philippines for five years. Half a year in Baguio, half a year in Manila, and four years here in Ormoc, Leyte. No problem in Baguio or even Manila. Had my passport 'picked' in Tacloban, and my wallet picket in Cebu. But the worst was a 3 am break-in in my house three years ago. The thief in Tacloban didn't really want my passport and dropped it on the jeepney floor. I caught the two thugs who took my wallet (with help from some kind bus riders), but we lost a lot from the house theft and never got any of it back.
Public transportation is the worst area for me as I tend to travel as inexpensively as I can.

I refuse to go out at night, so I am sure that I am saved any number of criminal acts by staying home.

I got robbed a few times at the Mandue Immigration Office, but that is another story....

swegolf1956 wrote:

Philippine men are small time idiots with a chip on their shoulder.  Philippine men are social misfits.

Since we are on the topic of SAFETY, and also for YOUR safety, I would advise you not to say such disrespectful  comments on Filipino men. If this forum were some other site that Filipinos frequent, your comment and profile photo would have gone viral, and the streets of Davao would be even less safe for you. So, keep comments like this to yourself. Like I said in a previous post, if you don't want to get in trouble, don't ask for it.

Also stop saying insults to citizens of a country where you are just a guest. It gives a bad rap to other expats from your country.

Well, being biased aside since I grew up here and this is my country, I feel safe here. Although there are some areas wherein crime happens more often than not, but I think doesn't mean that if you live here most probably you'll always be running for your life. I walk going to work (ayala ave) and I walk going home in addition to that, most of the time, I go home late. There's no denying in the prevalence of crimes and social issues here in the country but what's important is that we should go on with our lives because we should not fixate with what is wrong but look at what is good.

Not "fixate" on what is wrong? 
Lol.
Then don't ask the question.

Not "fixate" on what is wrong? 
Lol.
Then don't ask the question.

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : this kind of comment is not welcome here
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Your country is a disgrace to civilization.

Then why do you live there?
If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
You think bashing people's heads and whispering in their ear is civilized?
Kind of you to lend your expertise to this country.

MaroBautista wrote:

Well, being biased aside since I grew up here and this is my country, I feel safe here.

I think that most people in their own counties will feel safer than a foreigner would.

And with this being an Expats site, it would seem logical to address the issue from a foreigners viewpoint.

My girlfriend, Filipino feels totally safe here, but protects me when needed from potential unsafe areas or situations.

She, like you, knows it is totally safe, for her, but acknowledges the potential for problems for a foreigner.
It made me think though, If I was alone here, I am not so sure that I would feel as safe.

and you think nothing like that happens in the  United States, Davao is  safe, try living  in Chicago,Detroit,Or Baltimore

Okieboy wrote:

and you think nothing like that happens in the  United States, Davao is  safe, try living  in Chicago,Detroit,Or Baltimore

Like most cities in this world there are sections to avoid, day or night.
Knowing where not to go is required info everywhere.

i am married and  live in the  Provence, but  i go everywhere by myself a lot  of  the  time to  Calinan about 3K from my house, and  have  no trouble, but most of the  local people know me and  if  i go to a bar my wife will know  about  it  in a  few minutes, you stand  out so not  easy to hide, there are places you do not  want to go at night, i sit  at  the  local market and  drink Tuba  with a  few  of  the  locals, never any trouble but i never get involved in Politics, even when they ask me  my opinion , i am on a list set up by the  local Police Chief with my picture, home  address and  phone, i also have  a card with the  name  and  number of  a local police officer, if  i need  help i can text him, never had  to so far, there are people  that steal even in the  Provenience   but we have  local roaming patrol at night, and  if  they catch them they work them over before taking them to the  police station,as for  the  subdivisions they experience some  crime, mostly because the  security guards are involved ,some  contractors who do work are involved in crimes also, so beware

Hi Christine
I am from the UK I live in Cavite. I find the Philippines to be unsafe having been assaulted and hospitalized by four  men who did not steal from me, but just decided to attack me I have never seen or spoken with these men before so don't know the reason for the assault. and must assume that racism is alive and well.  The police don't know either as when I went to see them they told my wife who is Philippine that I am a foreigner  and I must go to another police station that is a long way from where I live and from the place where the assault took place, ( the police officer did not give the name address or phone number of who to contact at another station, or record my visit to him) I was not fit to travel any distance and needed rest to recover from my injuries, my wife doesn't feel safe knowing that she can be assaulted and that the police are criminal by their inaction because they are  just aiding and abetting violent criminals. If I had attacked and hospitalized a Philippine would the police have taken the same inaction

Dennigmt wrote:

Hi Christine
I am from the UK I live in Cavite. I find the Philippines to be unsafe having been assaulted and hospitalized by four  men who did not steal from me, but just decided to attack me I have never seen or spoken with these men before so don't know the reason for the assault. and must assume that racism is alive and well.  The police don't know either as when I went to see them they told my wife who is Philippine that I am a foreigner  and I must go to another police station that is a long way from where I live and from the place where the assault took place, ( the police officer did not give the name address or phone number of who to contact at another station, or record my visit to him) I was not fit to travel any distance and needed rest to recover from my injuries, my wife doesn't feel safe knowing that she can be assaulted and that the police are criminal by their inaction because they are  just aiding and abetting violent criminals. If I had attacked and hospitalized a Philippine would the police have taken the same inaction

Just another good reason why I am getting the hell out of here among so many others reasons...

vetretreat wrote:
Dennigmt wrote:

Hi Christine

Just another good reason why I am getting the hell out of here among so many others reasons...

I'm confused. From where? Your location says you're in  "San Diego"

FilAmericanMom wrote:
vetretreat wrote:
Dennigmt wrote:

Hi Christine

I'm confused. From where? Your location says you're in  "San Diego"

Confused..I'll say...Read the post your referring to again...You been in the Philippines to long...LOL..

I disagree with most of the post here.
I have been ripped off in scams by foreigners and locals alike, just by being nice. Back stabbed by many foreigners and locals and treated like crap because my retirement was a little more than theirs or I wouldnt want to sit around buying drinks for them
tried to learn the language, but why bother when 99% of the folks have done nothing, have no interest other than drinking or singing and cheer leading dance, texting, been no where, done nothing and could care less about motivation or even to attempt to do a decent job at anything, and never give only take.
Yes I am bitter, I could go into detail how we were treated by locals we helped for years who turned against us after yolonda hit, and refused even a loaf of bread for my then 2 year old because we were foreigners, while they had a loaf in both hands, then went to what was left of our house and took everything they could while we were searching for water.
I too ,now live in a gated community with guards, what a joke, guards sleep most of the time, so called roving, no bullets and no training. They couldnt protect you even if they had the desire.
I have never seen 1 person read a book, or even ask a question about anything.
My self, filipina wife and my daughter are trying to get back to the states. Almost done with the B.S rules the government has, with its greedy hands out for bribes to do their jobs.
I have never felt safe here, I dont fear them and not  because my wife carries and I taught her combat pistol craft. I dont fear them because I fear no coward, anywhere. But I dont trust anybody here now, that changed from the 4 years I was here in the 70's when I liked most of the people.
As all my friends say that come from the states to visit, 21 days is enough visit with these crazy unpredictable people that never follow any rules. 1 relative had to be taken to the hospital for a mild heart attack from all the moronic drivers scaring her nearly to death.
We do not feel safe even for our daughter in a good international school, someone mentioned the possible school shootings in the USA or pedophiles. Wake up, that is the national past time here, maybe not the school shootings but mental illness pedophiles, kidnappings, and crazy frigging parents behind the wheel of cars they shouldnt own, with no skills and no education on rules of the road.
*******Now I am sure 5 years is enough time to form an opinion about this place. And please be aware. this is my opinion based on my experiences here. I am by no means saying anyone has to even agree with or disagree with my post. Find out for yourself. As far as some saying accept being ripped off, robbed,  dont yell at idiots, whatever, I say bull! Never let your guard down and never accept any inappropriate actions towards you or your family in any country, theirs or not. And I have lived in 23. This is by far the worst.  And my biggest peeve? People pissing and pooping anywhere and everywhere and that stupid nasty spitting all the time. Hooyah, out!

swegolf1956 wrote:

If you are a well to do western man you will face attempts to humiliate you.  The dentist will cut your gums.  Taxi drivers will swerve to intimidate you then over charge you.  My 17 yr old daughter was taken a mile away from our home where the driver demanded all her cash.  She ran away and made it back to the house.  Davao is not as "safe" as people say. 

Sorry mate. But it doesn't sound like Filipinos are the only ones with a chip on their shoulder and a misfit. Davao, I'd say is a hell of a lot safer than a lot of other places in Mindanao. Why are you there if the place and its people irk you so much??

I feel safer here than I did walking around the nice areas of San Francisco at night... the financial district, embarcadero and Market Street in SF are full of derelicts, criminals and vagrants in various states of intoxication, filth and debauchery.  They were constantly pilfering liquor and food from the supermarket in our building when we lived there and nobody seemed to do anything about it.  There were even a few shootings within a block or two of our $4k/month apartment in SF.  That would never happen here.

Here in Manila, a few years ago, I lost a 1st gen iPad in the mall.  Was in the bottom pocket of a stroller bag.. not secure.  Now I always turn on the password lock and encrypt my devices in case they are lost.  Devices are easy to replace but changing all the passwords and worrying about identity theft is a pain.

The only other bad situation is the movers when we moved our stuff out of storage recently, appear to have kept a box or two out of 90 boxes.  It was my fault as I did not thoroughly inspect the truck before they left.  I was given the chance and I kicked the discarded boxes they were taking away but didn't dig through the pile well enough.  The management has disclaimed responsibility since it took us several days to notice the missing items.  We may file an insurance claim as our US renters insurance policy covers us here.  Will use a professional/international moving company next time.

We live in BGC which is a high-end commercial and residential area in Manila more akin to Singapore than most of the Philippines however we have traveled to provinces for get aways a lot.

I once left a designer backpack full of apple gear and electronics in a Starbucks in BGC once for 20 minutes before realizing I left it.  Came back and it was right there with someone eying it but not touching it.  That was pretty stupid but most of the people walking around in this area who are not construction workers, guards or helpers are "rich" by local standards, eg. BPO employees, office workers & professionals or residents.  Many of the latter are rich even by developed country standards judging by the cost of condos and the cars in the garages.

Of course when we venture out of this area, I am careful.  Here in this bubble, I am comfortable walking any time day or night.  I always nod and smile to the guards who always smile and say "good evening, sir."  Honest or not, it is quite pleasant.  In the states you can go about your day and not have any exchange pleasant or otherwise unless you are directly transacting with someone.  I do not sense jealousy or resentment.  Of course most of the people I see have jobs indirectly related to people like me being here and on some level they know this.

Have to watch out for the drivers though.  The ones from outside of the area are not respectful of traffic rules or pedestrians.  I worry a bit about letting my small children out with our helpers.  We don't really let them leave our condo compound without us on foot.  The compound itself must employ like 100 guards.  It's pretty big.  And BGC has private security of its own.  Any bad news here travels quickly among the expats via the social networks and gossip channels.  A foreign acquaintance of my wife was struck down and injured by a vehicle after it collided with another vehicle while crossing an intersection.  We were out of the country at the time and the news was all over facebook and even the local news media.  It sparked a pedestrian march of some kind.

Every place has its problems.  Be a good guest and use common sense and you will be fine.  People pretty much behave the way you expect and if you expect the worst behavior, you'll probably experience it.

i do not live in condo's or closed comunity's ,it hate the beeing lokked up feeling it gives my haha,always between Philippino ppl but i feel safe .never been harased or attaked ,but i admid at some times at night i carry a stun gun ,as i have expieriance of 3th world countrys were it was common that attaks happend ,but this only at night and if i am in a risk aria,better to avoid those risks he.
and as we asses the ppl they asses us to ,who behaves as a fool and flashes money wil be marked as a target not only in the Philppines but al over the world ,no mater witch country one is .as far as the trafic go's i watch out verry wel hahaha