Safety in Ivory Coast

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Ivory Coast?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Ivory Coast and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

when i was in ivory coast last year particularly in abidjan and assine and bassam.i was really safe. and did not encounter any untoward incident like robbery or sexual assault.. the people are friendly. and  they like asians like me so i can say that my stay in ivory coast was fun and fulfilling. god bless us all.. que te di veni!!!

I did a lot of things in Abidjan before i moved to Grand bassam but i think its pretty good to go out on the streets.
i see no problems on my time in abidjan.
and in Grand Bassam its realy easy going.
its the same as Amsterdam stay out the zones you dont trust.

Hi! Interesting topic!
Yes,I do feel safe in Cote d'ivoire. So far :-)
But I say that in comparison to safety in Nigeria which is zero. Maybe it's because I live in cocody. I don't know but I see people jogging at all hours of the day or taking walks. But I think so far so good.
Having said that though,there are other areas were I haven't felt quite as safe. I've forgotten their names. So,I think every town would have its not so safe areas.

I live in Daloa. Moving around alone is not safe there as you can count the number of Indians there. We are very few. Hence, you receive a lot of strange glances and reactions which make you feel suspicions and unsafe. I remember going for grocery shopping and random people were clicking pictures of me on their mobile. This also happened in my garden where my carpenter bought an assistant with him for work, and I caught him taking pictures.
If you go for a walk in the evening, it is very normal if you see people on the streets pointing at you or saying something.

Having said all this, I am fortunate enough as nothing adverse has happened till now.

I feel, every expat in upcountry locations experiences the same as I do.

There are not many street lights in Daloa which also makes travelling unsafe.
When we come to Abidjan, we make sure the home is well locked and security guards are in place.

Abidjan on the other hand is very friendly and you can easily travel alone as there is always someone on the road and the areas are well lit.