Safety in Hong Kong

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Hong Kong?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Hong Kong and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Hi Christine,  HK is the safest place in the world, i have been living and working there for 14 years never anything happened to me

I am living now 15 years in Hong Kong and feel quite safe by day and also by night. However, within the last 15 years it has to be said that the criminality (robbery, attacks to humans, burglary, smuggling etc) has increased quite a lot which is based (according my opinion and according newspaper reports). One of the reason is the influx of mainlanders which often over- flooding Hong Kong.
Nothing happened to me still now but this is not a reason to say that Hong Kong is the safest place on this world, ask the people who got robbed or attacked, they will have certainly another opinion.
Concerning social problems, it must loudly be said that there are a lot of problems and it is terrible shame for the rich Hong Kong to treat the underprivileged like second hand people. If I would be a Hong Kong citizen, I would be very ashamed that the government is doing nearly nothing but is doing preferably a lot for the rich and Tycoons. This is unacceptable. If you want an example, you should simply look to the treatment of the minorities living here and read the SCMP from the last days were a lot of reports have peen published.

Yes I do feel,HK have high standard for the safety.I can walk around HK by my self with out any fear or lost when I do hiking or explore to new outings place on my own

Having worked and lived in Hong Kong since 2009, I must say Hong Kong is generally safe.

The police presence is almost everywhere and Hong Kongers are mostly civic-minded and ready to offer help when a situation arises. Just a few weeks ago, a lady fainted on the street and people helped her readily and stayed until an ambulance came.

Hong Kong is a rather safe and very enjoyable place to work and live in. I have worked in other countries and the safe environment in Hong Kong is a plus point drawing people to this beautiful land.