Safety in Guatemala

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Guatemala?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Guatemala and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Yes I feel safe in Guatemala. I have in my 26 years of expat life only have been robbed at gun point on the road (20 years ago) and have my car broken once. Never add a problem at my house (Santa Cruz La Laguna) or Panajachel (my office).
I feel safe to  drive at night in the zone 9-10-13-14-16. To walk at night in the zone 10-13-14.
Doesn't mean it is not safe other places it is just the zones I frequent the most.
Guatemala in general is a safe country but there are zones and regions that are more dangerous then other. If you stay out of them you are safe.. Same when I go to any big city of the first world there are areas I wouldn't go. It is a violent country in terms of statistics compared to the general population but comparing big US cities crime rates to Guatemala and you will find out in some areas of the US the crime rate is as high.
Now in the city I don't let my windows open when I stop at the light, I don't leave any object visible when I park my car but I would say it is the same when I go to Europe or the US in the cities. I have 3 children that take a boat to go to school everyday and they go by themselves and no fear for them.