Getting there is half the battle?

Hi!!

I'm Brenna and I want to come to France to live. I am currently living in Canada, and plan to be for the next two years (to get back on my "financial" feet). I love Canada, but France is where I want to be. I just don't know how to go about it.

I understand that landing a job might be a tough process, as not many companies are willing to go through all the paperwork required to obtain a valid work visa. What I would like to know is if anyone can give me a lead on which companies (Canadian or International) are in France and willing to go through that process?

I have a BA in Humanities from the University of Victoria. I completed a double major in French and Hispanic studies, so based on my skills, a job in the communications sector will be a good starting point for my job search.

Any advice or help???

:-)

I am an American also wanting to move to France. My partner and I have been researching possibilities for years now. We finally decided to apply for a 'competences and talents visa' here in NYC. It's a unique visa, you need a "project". There is not a lot of information on the visa, so we are taking a shot in the dark, but you just have to go for it sometimes :)

While getting there is a huge battle, I'm sure the hurdles once you relocate to France are huge as well, but what's life without challenge?

Good luck to you-

Thanks for the reply. I have never heard of the "competences and talents" Visa, so I will be sure to check it out! I have researched almost every other type of visa, though, and none seem to fit my current needs / capabilities (forget studying - I am not financially prepared for that yet)

I'm sure you are right about the post-installation woes, but you are right. LIfe would be boring without the continuous conquering of obstacles!

May I ask if your partner is American as well?? 100% of my reason for going is that my boyfriend is French, and we refuse to get married just to make my life "easier", so I have chosen to go the hard route to get there... Unfortunately, he comes from a small village and really doesn't have any contacts that could help us out.

Yes, my boyfriend is American. Have you looked into a PACS? My boyfriend and I were considering it, as we are not into the whole marriage idea. The PACS is a civil union primarily for LGBT couples, but hetero couples can get them also. I don't know if it would qualify you for a long-term or work visa though.

The best info I found on the competences and talents visa was on the Chicago Consulate website: Visa Information . It is a newer visa, very hard to find information for, but a unique opportunity for those who are applicable. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Hi There!

I arrived in Paris 2 months ago, and i can say the visa process was quite fast and easy.
I was in the same situation as you, with a french bf and not getting into a marriage because of the visa. So i applied for a visiteur visa, that one is very easy to get but you have to prove you have money to stay here, let's say at least the same amount as the minimum salary is ok (about 1500 euros/month).
So with this visa you can't work but if you find a job that pays you more than "the minimum", you can go to the "prefeiture" and ask a permission, saying that working will be good to integrate better, blabla...
Just to be sure your application is going to be accepted put your bf's info together, like proof of salary, rent of apartment, ask him to write a letter saying you will live with him (just if you are going to!), well give them lots of information about what you are going to do here, and the main reason, etc.
apply for a long sejour, depending of your money, and after, once here, you can change status and apply to renew as a student, after 1 year living with your bf you can apply to "family visa"-don't need to marry or PACS- just prove you are together for 1 year- a common bank account is good idea.
Sorry for the big post but i am just sharing what worked for me.
Good luck!
Alexia

Hello Brenna,
My husband (Australian) and I (Dutch, which made things quite a bit easier once we got married) are currently in the process of moving to France (he's there now), and we encountered many obstacles so far. We have found that the staff at the nearest prefecture (or sous prefecture) is not always fully aware of all the ins and outs of every situation (understandable, because each situation is unique in it's own way), so it is very important to be well prepared when you go to there.

I could write pages and pages full with our experience and tips that we would give. If you're interested, I would be happy to e-mail you (or you could add me on msn or skype).

But the mosts important advise (imho) that I can give is to make sure you have a very solid amount of savings, before you make the move. I think that that will prove to be a good safety net (that you may have to fall back on in the beginning).