New in Bucharest...Help to open bank account without passport.

Hello,
My name is Ricardo, i'm from Portugal and going to work here in Bucharest.
Today i had my first "problem" i cant open a bank account without my passport...only have my citizen card....wich was good for the company im working for,so i didnt get a passport(european union...after all)
Can someone help me in this case or have any
information that might help?

thank you for your attention
:)

Hi,

Looked online with some banks and in the section 'what does a foreigner need to open an account' it just said 'passport or ID card', which suggests you should be fine. After all, a Romanian doesn't need a passport to open an account and so technically an EU citizen should be accorded the same requirements. I assume, as you have a job, that you have a certificate of registration and a CNP, which will do for tax purposes.

I'd go in and insist politely that the person at the desk call one of the people up the chain of command and ask him/her to check the legislation/bank policy in more detail. If not, just try another bank.

This from Alpha Bank: "cartea de identitate sau pasaportul pentru cetatenii Uniunii Europene(UE)/ Spatiului Economic European (SEE) /Confederatiei Elvetiene"

Pireaus: "Pasaport sau carte de identitate eliberata de statul de origine pentru cetatenii Uniunii Europene"

And so on - all seem to suggest you only need one or the other.

Usually it's a case of poorly-trained staff who just ask for excessive proof of everything because they're not sure of the rules - basic butt-covering 101. Ask to speak to a senior member of staff and you should be ok.

Good luck!

hi Maykal
thanks for your reply, it might be helpfull when i go there again.

I'll try to talk to senior staff then and see what happens,and then write it here..

Multumesc....first word i learned.

Cu placere :)

Dear Ricardo,

I'm Cristina and I'm from Bucharest, born here and with this package :), also I know how thing are working here in my country.
From my knowledge, it is not possible to open a bank account without the passport.
What would you like to do with this account? Is just a debit account and that's it? Where to put money in and cash the money out?

I'm waiting for an answer from you.
Also, I asked a friend of mine who is working in a bank here to provide with the information: In which cases a foreign citizen can open a bank account without having a passport?

So, as soon as I have the answer, I'll get back to you.

Cristina

hello everyone,

I already managed to open an account using only my citizen card and the CNP from Romania.

Thanks to all who tried to help

ricardojsilva wrote:

hello everyone,

I already managed to open an account using only my citizen card and the CNP from Romania.

Thanks to all who tried to help

Glad you managed to overcome this hurdle, get used to it.  You'll likely find plenty of situations where the locals will tell you "nu se poate" meaning "it can't be done".....just ask someone else until you get the right answer  ;)  As Maykal mentioned, a lot of people don't know the rules that apply to their jobs, so by default they'll say it can't be done, which often is incorrect.

Well done. Glad you got it sorted.

Hi Ricardo, I am recently moved to Bucharest. Mind if I ask you that how and from where did you get CNP? I am looking an internet source, but they are pretty difficult to understand.

Thanks Billy.

Bilegt wrote:

Hi Ricardo, I am recently moved to Bucharest. Mind if I ask you that how and from where did you get CNP? I am looking an internet source, but they are pretty difficult to understand.

Thanks Billy.

This is an old post Billy and the poster has not been active in 3 years. I recommend that you start off a new post with your question.

SimCityAT
Expat Team

I thought that first but decided to post it maybe someone still could help me. Thanks for your suggestion.