Van Exhaust

I am in the process of doing repairs and modifications to my LDV Convoy van to get it onto Hungarian plates. One garage did look at it and came up with a list of items that need attention. One of these was the exhaust, which normally exits on the right hand side of the van rather than the back. They said this is not allowed in Hungary, presumably because it is directing exhaust fumes toward pedestrians on the pavement when driving on the right. For months I have been trying to find out what exhaust layout was used on left hand drive versions of the Convoy but they are quite rare vehicles. Today I saw a Leyland DAF 400 pickup truck in the Penny market car park. this was the model before the Convoy so I had a look underneath at the exhaust. It looked like there was only one silencer after the cat. then a short bit of slash cut exit pipe pointing downwards, roughly half way down the length of the truck box. I could easily rig my exhaust in a similar way if it is good enough to satisfy an MoT tester but is there any way I can find out what is allowed? In UK we have the construction and use regulations for vehicles, is there something similar in Hungary?

I had been looking at ways to get the exhaust to exit at the left side or the back but it needs to go over the propshaft or the back axle, both quite tricky obstacles.

fidobsa wrote:

..... I could easily rig my exhaust in a similar way if it is good enough to satisfy an MoT tester but is there any way I can find out what is allowed? In UK we have the construction and use regulations for vehicles, is there something similar in Hungary? I had been looking at ways to get the exhaust to exit at the left side or the back but it needs to go over the propshaft or the back axle, both quite tricky obstacles.

I'm no expert on the LDV Convoy but I think your problem will be the mounting brackets on the vehicle which could require welding onto the chassis.  It might be they are bolt on items under the rear floor so if you could see one at the scrapyard, maybe you could simply buy them or copy them.  You could also just get a pipe of some other vehicle which might fit and redirect to the other side.  I cannot see the tester here being particularly concerned if it's an official design so long as it's safe and on rubber mounts and meets the emissions standards.

Regarding the regulations, there's European type approval which is accepted everywhere in the EU.  There's a code on the documents which says the number but the actual specific regs would be in local languages.   

The IVA regs by VOSA in the UK can be downloaded for free. I've only ever dealt with M1 category passenger cars. The IVA regs are quite tricky to understand and complex. These are nothing to do with the MoT but it might help you get an understanding of what you could get away with here in HU even if it's a UK document, i.e. if it's good enough for UK, it could be good enough here. Maybe.

IVA Regs for N1 Light Goods