Presentation of new members in Plovdiv

Hello and welcome on Expat.com! :)

We invite the new members in Plovdiv and surroundings to present themselves in this discussion.

Since how long are you living here?

What brought you in Plovdiv? What is your favorite pass-time: sports, hobbies,...?

Thanks in advance for your presentation and see you soon on Expat.com! :)

Bonjour,
je suis sur Sofia depuis 2 années, et sur ce site je viens de me rendre compte qu'a 2h d ici il y avait des français vivant en Bulgarie.
Je vis en couple avec une Bulgare ( très française)et nous serions très heureux d échanger quelque mots.
Passez une très bonne journée
Amicalement
Ginni et Claude

Bonjour Ginni et Claude! Vous devriez vous présentez sur le forum francophone car ici vous êtes sur le forum anglophone. ;)

Voici le lien de la discussion "Présentation des membres Expat.com de Sofia":

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=49195

Merci à vous,
Christine

Hi all,
Apparently I'm the only expat in Plovdiv.
regards
Dirk

Welcome on board Dirk ;)

Thanks Yud
but where are my neighbours on here ?

Hi Dirk VG,

Have a look at the Plovdiv expat network. Well i hope some members will introduce themself in this thread. :)

Hi I hope i'm not busting in i really dont have the criteria yet but i live in hope.  Coming up to retirement age in couple of years moving then.  Hope to live in Kaloyanovo - no reason just seemed to jump out at me, and photos look great.  Coming april next year to see in flesh, cant wait.been in Australia now for 48 years tho orig from UK.  Anyone know anything about Kaloyanovo?

movingtobulgaria I suggest to take a look at it yourself. Many Brits that bought properties in Bulgaria few years ago, are now abandoning them. Photos could look great, but living there might be another story. From what I have read and have heard from some folks I know that are still living in Bulgaria, life there is getting harsher by the week. The economy is in downhill, but also the crime is very high, especially the burglaries from the local gipsies and not only. Medical cost and availability is another factor that puts off many expats from continuing to live there.

I see that the village you picked is not that far from Plovidv, which is a very large city in Bulgaria. That in general helps to be close to a large city, but again, go there yourself, check it out, and never close your door to go back. While life sounds nice, low cost and easy going in Bulgaria, it could be very harsh for expats who are being cheated all the time, robbed and practically the police there is non functional. Such things could make your life miserable.

Many thanks World Expat it's good to hear the minuses as well as the pluses

So the pluses said shortly - the low housing tax and in general tax, nice weather and nature in general is great, good food, if you are lucky to end up with local nice folks that would be another big plus, low housing prices but even lower when you sell. However, from there on... things are a bit up side down in Bulgaria, including organized crime, police, healthcare, availability of simple things in small villages, infrastructure while it seams that it was good at some point, it is now not that much. Trains are there, but are slow and no AC when the T is like 40 deg C. Also, the local language might be hard to pick up. Most government offices have nothing in English, such as paperwork or even help, this excludes the capital where most likely you will find someone to help out translating. It would have been a great retirement place for many expats if the government ever got their act together, and the locals did not think that every expat was a Rockefeller, if the police was not as useless and if the healthcare was better and available in the smaller cities at least, especially some specialized diagnostics. Now if you are living with someone that is a local, it is way easier, but that goes for anywhere.

Plovdiv is changing fast for the better.
Stay out of them retarded villages and as close as possible to the top cities Sofia, Plovdiv, Varna and Burgas

Hi dirk,

Nope. Youre not the only expat here in pd. :-)

Yes, youre right. Pd is changing quickly. And the reason why is interesting.

All the best,

Hey guys, the local network seems to be stagnant. I may have only been here only 4 months(Plovdiv)but i haven't had any interaction with any other fellow expats. My working hours(8pm to 4am)as such makes it rather difficult to socialize, but it would be great to meet up with some other expats.