Hi! Anyone living in Cuernavaca who can help orient a newcomer? Thanks

My Mexican wife and I are moving July 20th, 2015 to live in Cuernavaca. We're retired. If there is anyone living in Cuernavaca who can help us learn about the in's and out's of living in Cuernavaca, we'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!
Bill

I live have lived in Tepoztlan about half of the time for the past 6 years.  It is a Pueblo Magico which you might want to visit one day.  It is only about 15 miutes from Cuernavaca.  There is a X-pat group that I plan to visit in the next week or so.  It meets each Friday at the Los Arcos Restaurant at Jardin de los Heroes 4, Centro, Cuernavaca.  I think they meet at 2 pm.  If you have not already made arrangements for a place to live they might have a lot to offer in that regard.

We do most of our shopping in Cuernavaca where you can find many of the larrge chains from the states - Sam's, WalMart, Sears, Home depot, Office Depot as well as some of the larger fast food chains (which I am glad to avoid). 

It is a good central place for exploring Mexico.  I especially like Taxco which is only an hour or so away.

Thanks for the message, Bill. Hope to see you at one of the Ex-Pat meetings in the near future. If you'd like to, you can reach me at:

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not share personal contact infos on the public forum!

Thanks, Bill.  I plan on being in Cuernavaca visiting my fiance the first week of August.  I'm very much looking forward to it.

I've already asked her about the restaurant you meet at every Friday at 2 pm.  She says their enchiladas are great.  She plans on going this Friday while the expats are there and let me know how it is.  I also hope to be able to go there and meet some of the expats while I'm in Cuernavaca.  I'm not an expat yet, but hope to see you there.

David

Hi Bill.  I'm Len and I'll be a newcomer to Cuernavaca in the next few weeks.  Did you have any luck meeting the expat community?  Any ideas about where and when I should show up?

Thanks so much,

Len

Hi Len and everyone,
I dont live there but seriously considering moving there in the next few months.  Ive been traveling there for 10 years and love this little city.  You will find the people very warm and helpful but there arent as many English speakers as there used to be.  It used to be full of foreigners and people attending Spanish emmersion schools but since that nasty drug war a few years ago started there it really hurt the city and foreigners started going to different towns.  Its a shame as I still find it as safe as I always did.
If you havnt spent much time there you will find Cuernavaca to be probably more expensive than other Mexican cities.  This is because the wealthy Mexicans holiday and have 2nd homes there. 
I have made many friends there throughout the years.  If you need anyone to translate, accompany you anywhere or just call for general questions I'd be happy to send you the numbers of several friends that would be happy to help.  They are all bilingual.  I also have a great dermatologist I use there.
Please stay in touch and let me know how your move and expat experience turns out.
Jayne

Len - St Michael's Church library hosts a newcomers meeting every Tuesday at 11 am on Minerva near Rio Mayo street. ** for any more info and/or help.
Bill

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security please do not share email address on the forum. You may use the private message system

You're the best!  Can you provide directions?  I'll be coming in from Mexico City and I get lost in a paper bag!!

Len

My sense of direction is similarly poor. Here's the best I can do. Taking the autopista (Toll road) south from Mexico City, you exit at the Rio Mayo exit and arrive at the roundabout with the Galerias Mall on your left. You make a right turn on Diana at the roundabout, which becomes Rio Mayo. Make a right turn on Minerva just before the Cadillac/Buick dealership, and St Michaels will be on your left in about three blocks. The meeting goes from 11 a.m. to 12:30 every Tuesday, and about 15-20 people show up at the Church's library for snacks and conversation. If you get lost, ask for directions on Rio Mayo. Best of luck, and will hopefully see you there.
Bill