Tips on travelling from the US through Mexico into Belize??

Hi!  My husband Stan and I are new to the forum and are planning on moving down in the next few months - probably by February or March, 2011.  We're just waiting until I retire from my job late in January.  Not sure yet where we will settle but we like the Corozal/Consejo area from all we have read - were sure that we will chose somewhere near the water.  We are planning to drive from Minneapolis, MN to Belize and have some concerns about our trip through Mexico (which I am so looking forward to).  Where should we stay, what are the best roads to take, can we drive into the early evening without any problem, should we be worried about "out of the ordinary" safety issues?  Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!  We can't wait to join you all down there in Belize!  It's all we can talk or think about!  Thanks for any help you can give!  Stan and Regina

Welcome on Expat-blog Stan and Regina! :) I have moved the topic on the Belize forum.

Did you saw the answer from LoveBelize on this discussion? :

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=44823

Good luck
Christine

Hi Stan and Regina,

have you ever been in Belize before?
We move to Belize in 3 weeks and we've been in this beautiful
country three times in the last 1.5 years to see if we could imagine to live there and what area we prefer.
I've no experience traveling through Mexico. One time we drove only from Cancun to Chetumal. It was in the late evening and we hadn't any problems.

We're looking forward to our trip down to Belize through Mexico.  I'm sure it will be an enjoyable adventure.  After traveling around Belize we are hoping to settle down in the Corozal area.  Thanks for your help!