Retired couple coming to Belize soon seeking any info

U.S. couple looking for change of pace.Always loved the Carribean so thought we would start there. Wishing to discuss with others doing similar thing. Any help appreciated,NOT INTERESTED IN BUYING REAL ESTATE. Will just rent until tire of where we are and move on. Need suggestions on where in country is best, where most Americans or Brits are...Thanks,Mike

The three main places expats live are San Pedro, San Ignacio Cayo or Corazol. Rent in San Pedro would be about The same as U.S., in San Ignacio it would be about half the price.

THANKS FOR THE INFO. IS THERE A BOOK ABOUT LIVING THERE THAT ANYONE COULD RECOMMEND..THANKS

Welcome to Expat-blog, Livingwarm :)

Could you please avoid using Caps Lock?

Thanks

Regards,
Sheetul

(moderated: do not use caps lock on the forum please + no free ads here please)

There a lots of travel books at the store. We started with one of those. We went to the Cayes first, then Placencia, San Ignacio. Did not make it to Corozal yet. Will do that on this trip. The people are very friendly. Just talk to people most want to share their experiences. You would want to decide if you like monuntains or sea or river. For such a small country there is an area to fit. Good luck. When will you be coming? We will be there the 15-14th. Maybe we could meet somewhere.
Best wishes on you move.

Hi, Best thing is to visit the different areas as one person said there is everything here.  San Ignacio has a lot to do and the fresh fruits and vegs are cheaper as the farmers live out there.  Beautiful rivers, caves, ruins falls etc.  Caye Caulker is nice but everyone takes the boat into Belize city to shop.  Quiet and friendly.  San Pedro the costs are more.  Remember they have to boat everything out there.  In Corozal there is nothing to do.  That is the biggest complaint that I hear.  You can stop in Chetumal but anymore because of the dollar things are more.  As of now we live in Corozal we are close to Dr.'s and until school is out we will be there but moving to San Ignacio.  There are plenty of books on Belize at Amazon but they are usually for tourist. If you want to ask more questions you can e-mail me at [email protected]  Ruby Wood

Hi there my husband and I are expats living in orange walk the rents here are 250 -300belize but remember you get what you pay for .my husband and I own 2 homes and a 10 unit Inn we have put alot of love,money pain and tears into the places living in the USA you get used to certain things like AC ..there is beauty here in belize and you certainly can have a small business and make money however remember being expats comes with a warning educate yourself with local cost such as food rent construction cost and even housekeeper wages ,you will find that as sad as it is people still take advantage of expats moving to belize Funny story First couple of days i was here I went to buy bananas at a corner fruit vendor I asked in english how much for just 2 bananas she sais one dollar wow how cheap I thought ...when I reached home my husband asked wheres the bananas..when he heard the amount I payed and what I got he laughed I got played ...its 8 bananas for one dollar yup that was my first lessons of many ...My husband and I would like to invite to Orange walk and please stay at our Inn as our guest ...Juliand frank Gonzalez

So many people have contacted me about our trip to Belize. However most of them came after we returned. Wish we had received them before we left. We returned last Saturday. Stayed in San Ignacio and Caye Caulker. Everyone does tell you to use caution. I noticed that the appliances in the store are marked with a price. I don't recognize the brands. But they seem cheaper when you do the math. Any comment on that?
Thanks so much, Would love to hear more.

HaHa!  I read your post, livingwarm, and my husband asked if I wrote that!  We are planning on going down in Nov'11 for 18 days...6 on Tabacco Caye, 6 in Hopkins, and 6 on Cauker Caye to get a taste of it all on the beach...We live in Wa state and are extremely tired of the rain!!!  want warm, dry beaches!  We hope to be there in about a year after we sell everything!  Good luck to you...I will keep an eye on this site for you