Antique furniture

hi all, i am visitng jakarta in a few days, wanted to know where can i buy antique / repoduction indonesian furniture in jakarta.  this is my first time here, will appreciate all your inputs.

In Bandung Jl. r.e Martadinata (Riau) old and new store

In Jakarta itself you should check out Jalan Surabaya (Surabaya Road) as there is a pretty good antiques flea market there.  Personally it's been several years since I've been there, so I can't say with certainty that it's worth the effort, but some years ago I used to do OK buying there.  I don't think many of the stalls carry much antique furniture, but ask the dealers, as the best buys are those you might arrange privately. 

The city of Surabaya itself, way out in east Java is much better known for antique furniture, most especially old Dutch colonial furniture.   

Have fun!

Hi Sheila,
Thank you very much for the info.  Will try and go to Surabaya and check it out.  Is it safe to go there alone in a cab??

rumah hobi at kemang 1 no.11 south jakarta or at surabaya street central jakarta.

Hi afkhar - can you please keep it in english on the Anglophone Forum :)

Jl. Surabaya mm, been there many times no antiques, only fakes, but good ones... they all crooks, so you better know your stuff.

Go to kemang Timur.  There are many shops there but they close early at the moment

It'a s  toko at kemang Timur 56 c next to gallery pot is nice. There is a masjid in between

"Jl. Surabaya mm, been there many times no antiques, only fakes, but good ones... they all crooks, so you better know your stuff."

We bought a wonderful pair of late 19th century Japanese Satsuma vases there, totally authentic
for $150.00, put them up on eBay and they fetched $1200.00.

Agree, there are lots of fakes at the Jalan Surabaya market, but there are real objects too.  As you say, you need to know your stuff.

Sorry Guys,
I have stuff to sell not buy Thank you anyway
I have just moved from an 8 bedroom Villa in Bali to a 3 bedroom house in Ciputat near Jakarta.I am offering dramatic low prices on stuff to make space One large truck just arrived three more on the way.
I am not a retailer or prices just want to offer my beautiful collection to private people who appreciate quality at super low prices
Thank you
Howard

Hello everyone,

@aussiehj,

even though you are not a retailer, you may as well drop an advert in the Moving sales in Jakarta section of the website so that members looking for things to buy at cheap prices can easily access the offer.

Thank you in advance, :)
Bhavna

Thanks Bhavna,
I have deleted the ad, so much rubbish answers from even some who obviously did not read it properly and just want to get their number of posts increased  Expat.com has seriously declined in quality.
Since the several years I have used it
Aussie  hj