Australians in Bahrain RE Tax

Hi, my husband and our little family are looking at moving to Bahrain and have been advised that there is no tax in Bahrain (or 1%).  I have spoken to the Australian Tax department, and they have advised that so long as we are classified as a non resident for tax purposes, we will not be required to pay tax in Aus.  Has this worked for others, or have you been stung when returning.  I will not take this as tax advise and understand that personal circumstances will alter advise :)
TIA

As I would understand it would be correct but I can only speak from a South African tax perspective. However, please be aware that there maybe some conditions to that tax free status like working out of the country for 6 months and that he may have to be on average away for three consecutive months. I suggest you check your countries tax website or better still get the view of a tax consultant in your country.

Thanks :) on a side note, are there many Saffa expats in Bahrain?  We are origionally Zimbabwean, and South Africans are normally as close as we get :)

We are Aussie and have lived in Bahrain previously and retuned to oz.
Don't think we got hit with anything whatsoever on return.

If you will be here for more than two years then I advise you to take yourself off the electoral roll. That way you will be classed as expatriates / non residents and will avoid paying tax earned in Bahrain. You will need to pay tax on any money accrued in Audtralia that is above the tax threshold. Regards

Thanks thats great advice re the electrol role. Many thanks for the advice.